Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B&W 803D3
(01-Mar-2020, 17:55)markush Wrote: How would you rate the difference between 220 Pro and 440 Pro with the 802 D3?

I'm using 802D3 since 2016. I've tried 220-Pro, 440-Pro & 1000-Pro bi-wired. I also ran [2 x 440-Pro] bi-amped. For my current 32 Sq M room, I'm delighted with 440-Pro. 

220-Pro is under powered at least for my room size and won't bring forth the potential of the 802D3 in terms of soundstage dimensions, overall scale, strong dynamic shifts and an overall ease with smoothness that 440-Pro easily provides. 

I was bi-amping with 2 x 440-Pro but reverted to a single 440-Pro now upon adding a pair of REL G1-MKII subs. What the subs have brought forth cannot be matched by either bi-amping or moving UP to a 1000-Pro bi-wired.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Interesting! Getting my 802 D3 and second 220 Pro to have a 440 Pro within the next 2 weeks. Excited Smile
Having used the 802 D3 now for a couple of weeks with the 440 Pro I have to say speakers are absolutely great - though I decided to buy a 803 D3 because of my room characteristics. So if anyone wants to have just breaked in 802 D3 send me a PM Smile
Hi all,
Is there a suggested room size for 803D3?
I feel that my room could be too small for that even though i have 440pros.
(11ftx11ft)
(15-Oct-2020, 06:31)madumm Wrote: Hi all,
Is there a suggested room size for 803D3?
I feel that my room could be too small for that even though i have 440pros.
(11ftx11ft)

Madumm

My room size is approx: 12ft x 10.5ft with a vaulted ceiling. I have them on the 10.5ft wall
4ft away from the rear wall. They fill the room but do not overpower.
At the moment I am working on a larger space in the basement 16ft x 20ft it will change things a lot.

Now saying that, I do feel that the 804D3 with a small sub would also work very well for you.
Can you arrange a in home demo, or take your amp to the dealer, with 2 different configurations on 2 SD cards.
Can you lets all know what part of the world you are in.

Choices  Rolleyes Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Hi BrianT,
Your room size is similar to mine. Though on on side of mine have no walls, it is an open area to the dining and another small open living area.

For your suggestion on Sub, it doesn't make sense to me. I do not like the idea of adding another sub to the setup (kinda purist). If its stereo, it has to deliver as a stereo. no point spending so much and add another big sub. You know what I mean...

As I suspected, it should not be overpowering, and given the Devialet new OS runs sweet room, there are ways to go about tuning. I for one, hope that that will not happen.
Thank you once again for your kind feedback.
Rgds
I do have a sub but as part of my AV setup (the D3s are the front part of this fed by the 1000 Pro). The idea of adding more bass to the 1000 Pro in audio mode seems unnecessary overkill imho. If you need to add bass to D3s they are probably not ideal for the room or being drive by an underpowered amp.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
Subs are not added to stereo system for additional bass - they are added for better bass.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

I do not like to add sub to stereo simply because of phase issue and timing issues. After a while it took the joy out of just listening to good music.
It is already not easy for the speaker itself ensuring these parameters, let alone me trying to add one more.
I had tried, it takes time to get the timing sync right with DSP. Even placement matters for sub.

After a while, it does not make sense to spend that effort anymore.
I am no longer listen to music but worried the parameters and tweeking.
(16-Oct-2020, 12:52)Delija Wrote: Subs are not added to stereo system for additional bass - they are added for better bass.

Actually you are not wrong. That reminded me of one of the Bristol HiFi shows where Wilson Benesch had a fine display of Eminence speakers £140,000) combined with Torus infrasonic generators which seemed a little worrying to think that the Eminences might need more depth. Played from their rather lovely turntables, it all of course sounded lovely but covered rather a lot of acreage and cost a fortune.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.