Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Cartridge for VPI Prime Turntable?
I am strongly considering getting a VPI Prime turntable and would appreciate any advice concerning a cartridge to match my Expert 200. The price range is $1500 - $3000 USD.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Willis
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Dynavector XX2 MK II for 1550 Euro - Great value and a Master piece for the VPI tonearm

Best regards

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
So first of all bear in mind that the only MC cartridge I have used with my VPI is an Ortofon Cadenza Black, so no basis for comparison. And I am by no means an expert on cartridges. Far from it.

Second I used this with first a Devialet 440 and now the 440 Pro CI. So not quite the same setup as yours.

I use this to play Rock, Jazz, Reggae, electronic and other styles of music and am very pleased with it. YMMV.

I don't suppose you are fortunate enough to have a dealer who sells both Devialet and VPI?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I've used both the Ortofon Cadenza Black and the Dynavector DRT XV-1s and am more than satisfied with their performance - DRT just slightly out shining the Black on immediacy, clarity and depth.  Channel separation from both is excellence and either will compliment your Prime.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
+1 for the DV XX2mkII. I use it myself too.

Be aware that your Expert (Pro) will add a considerable amount of hiss to the signal of low output MC cartridges.
So be prepared to add the price of a preamp or SUT to your budget if you're going down that route (see thread about "hiss on phono").
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
I believe the hiss issue is present for some users and not for others. For example, I don't get hiss with my MC cartridge. But you are correct in bringing up the point because this does vary based on a number of factors, so definitely something to be mindful of.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Lyra Delos was used by What Hifi on the VPI Prime Signature. So maybe also an option to add to your list.

Many people report on 'surface noise' when using a 2M Black cartridge so I would not immediately recommend it. 

The website of VPI also gives a list of preferred cartridges. If VPI uses them then they should be a good match for your TT...

I would go for the Dynavector XX2-MKII.