Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better sound at night?
I think i´m right, but maybe not 100% right.
For several times i notice a good sound improvement at night, comparing with the rest of the day.
I thought that there´s much more reasons for the opposite, lights on, machines, tv´s, etc, during the night and an electrical environment much cleaner during the morning and afternoon.
Is it possible? Reasons, please.

P.S.: ... even when i don´t drink at dinner
Personally I do believe it is possible, what I call good and bad electricity days. I surmise it is based on the load on the grid. I have had some days where the system sounds terrible ( as opposed to what I am used to hearing ).
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(21-Jul-2017, 23:57)BoyScout Wrote: I think i´m right, but maybe not 100% right.
For several times i notice a good sound improvement at night, comparing with the rest of the day.
I thought that there´s much more reasons for the opposite, lights on, machines, tv´s, etc, during the night and an electrical environment much cleaner during the morning and afternoon.

I 100% agree with you, the electricity grid is cleaner , background noise is also lower. However once I made sure the ground system in my system is properly installed the the night&day deference narrowed only to background noise.
I've experienced it over and over in all my systems and at all locations.
(22-Jul-2017, 02:50)no32 Wrote:
(21-Jul-2017, 23:57)BoyScout Wrote: I think i´m right, but maybe not 100% right.

I 100% agree with you, the electricity grid is cleaner , background noise is also lower. However once I made sure the ground system in my system is properly installed the the night&day deference narrowed only to background noise.
I've experienced it over and over in all my systems and at all locations.

+1 on the cleaner power and lower back ground noise. 32, I would love to see some of your grounding work as I'm about to wire up my living room. Maybe start a thread? Piccies would be great. Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I thought the better sound at night time listening was because the curtains are drawn which prevented reflective sound from glass windows.
Your suggestions of cleaner power is possible but no one has presented proof. Cleaner power is more probable between 2 and 5am.
(22-Jul-2017, 09:05)Davyboy Wrote: I thought the better sound at night time listening was because the curtains are drawn which prevented reflective sound from glass windows.
Your suggestions of cleaner power is possible but no one has presented proof. Cleaner power is more probable between 2 and 5am.

I do close the curtains during the day for serious listening. Proof? It's entirely possible that it's just a mental state or the influence of alcohol. Whatever it is, it works.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

This topic is quite big and very interesting. Especially if people can hear differences based on power consumption. I´ve discussed our power grids with a HiFi cable manufacturer for some time. He who´s in charge of development at the company has been in the game for around 27 years. He talks about shielding and improving coherence in cables. 

He got pretty happy when I mentioned that I cooperate with scientists, trying to improve coherence in electrical cables. The reason is that our energy transfer in power grids is pretty chaotic where electrons colliding with atoms gives raise to increased temperature and energy losses. 

2012 professor Giuseppe Vitiello reported about "Fractals as macroscopic manifestation of squeezed coherent states and brain dynamics". http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.108...012021/pdf  We test fractal geometry in cables with the purpose to get more "clean" power transfer. 

Some weeks ago I got an e-mail from another cable manufacturer who mentioned that he works with "a new cable, kind of grounding
cable". Will try to get more info about that one and hopefully see how no32 has done the grounding. 
I agree with the concept of hifi sounding better at night - I've definitely experienced it myself.

I'd be interested in trying a mains cleaner like a balanced supply or filtered supply to see what effect, if any, is the power supply.

I can also imagine there are a few other key factors at play. Later generally equals quieter environmental background noise, which means we listen at lower volumes which are still enjoyable levels at night. Lower levels probably mean less room effects. Late night is also a time when the body /brain relaxes more.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I don't know anything about the time of night theory, but yesterday I got the house to myself for a couple of hours in the afternoon and was free to crank up the power to about -11 on the 250 Pro and early recordings which have always disappointed such as a lot of the Cream stuff e.g. White Room seemed to spring to life through the extra volume. The extra bass that SAM delivers added to the pleasure and all with perfect clarity. Lovely!
I've often wondered how much of it is to do with our ears and brain 'relaxing' or perhaps entering some sort of 'recovery' phase. It's really noticeable if I drive to work (OK, that was a while ago now!) and listen to music on the journey there and back how, next morning, I find the volume from the journey back home on the evening before is set way too loud for listening in the morning.  Extending this further, perhaps the 'recovery' doesn't just take place when you're asleep, but maybe in the hours leading up to sleep?
Probably a load of old codswallop but not impossible.