Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Daves System
In my humble opinion, in terms of upgrades, start saving and get a second Phantom. Going to stereo will be a bigger upgrade than any digital tweaking.

But for the moment you have a lot of volume controls. Strictly speaking your PC should be at full volume if you are using Spark volume so to avoid too much digital attenuation.

The other issue is getting bit perfect output. If all of your music is 16/44 then probably no big deal but Itunes via windows does not guarantee bit perfect output.

Software like JRiver or Foobar (free) will do it but they are not as easy to use as Itunes and again with one speaker, not sure you will hear much difference.
Some might say 44/16 is good enough for the human ear period and anything PCM wise above this is just smoke and mirrors... Also digital attenuation in spark should be irrelevant assuming the phantoms dither correctly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, just Buy a second phantom. The difference is much more bigger then anything else!
(03-May-2016, 01:14)DSD Wrote: Some might say 44/16 is good enough for the human ear period and anything PCM wise above this is just smoke and mirrors... Also digital attenuation in spark should be irrelevant assuming the phantoms dither correctly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I don't disagree with you. Most of my music is 16/44 but my point was allowing the Windows output to control this instead of audio software via Asio/wasapi is not considered ideal. You have to try for yourself and see if you can hear a difference in your set up.
I have the laptop/ iTunes volume at 100% and theres no volume on the digital preamp as its using the optical out which makes the volume control redundant. So i only use the Devialet remote.
I would love a second Phantom but I can't afford it unless i sell my wife.
Who would like to swap her for a Phantom. She's not bad at ironing. :-)
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Just replaced the HDDs in my NAS with 2x Western Digital Red 1Tb. I only have about 125Gb of music so far so it will definitely last me some time before it's full. You can get them for as little as £49.99 in the UK from Maplins.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Just discovered a new way to play music. Using an App called DS Audio which is Synology's own Disk Station remote app i can read the music from NAS to my iPad and just Bluetooth it to the Phantom without even having the laptop on. The app looks so much better that REMOTE app for iTunes which looks so boring. It has a button called 100 random so works a bit like the old iTunes DJ. Also shows whats up next in the play queue
I might give Jriver a try. I would also need Jremote which looks much nicer than iTunes Remote.
Is it generally accepted that Jriver is better to use than iTunes? I don't do anything fancy, just press random and let the program pick the music. Does Jriver have that function coz i know Spark doesn't?
(22-May-2016, 17:12)Silvertouran Wrote: I might give Jriver a try. I would also need Jremote which looks much nicer than iTunes Remote.
Is it generally accepted that Jriver is better to use than iTunes?  I don't do anything fancy, just press random and let the program pick the music. Does Jriver have that function coz i know Spark doesn't?

Spark has that funtion !
Only from the Playlist which has a 1000 song limit. You can't randomize the whole library