Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Daves System
(29-Mar-2016, 23:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(29-Mar-2016, 22:53)Silvertouran Wrote: Do you reckon the sound quality would be better without the DAC in the chain then? Would a patch cable from the laptop straight into the Phantom work or do i still need the router in the chain?

I was just curious as the Devialet's all have DACs that are considered high end so didn't know if you had specific reason for the extra stage. Convenience wins out by the sound of it and there's no issue with that!
Can't say re EQ as there are complex factors involved (and I don't have a Phantom), but I'd be wanting to try to at least see if skipping the external DAC made an improvement. On the other hand, if it ain't broke and you're happy.......

I don't know about the rest of Devialet stuff but the dacs in the phantom are by no means top top end; whilst fit for purpose they are off the shelf TI's that are US$5 a pop; but I realize for the price your not gonna get a bespoke FPGA like in a Chord Dave for instance; I'd hoped though Devialet could have spent a bit more in this department...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just tried the free version of JRiver and within 10 mins of playing music it crashed. Says it was buffering but nothing was happening. Tried to close the program but says it's not responding. Had to force it closed.
Oh well!!!!! Back to iTunes. At least I know it works even if it is boring to look at. Glad I didn't pay for it and thought to try it first.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Just connected my NAS directly to my laptop with ethernet cable and to my surprise it just worked. Maybe since i had the drive mapped as drive "z". So no need for 2 wires now going to the router. Even iTunes still worked. Im now going to give JRiver another bash and see if it still goes into buffering which it did as per previous post. I want to make sure it is all stable before i fork out money for the paid version and paid JRemote.

Edit: been running 3 hours solid now and no buffering. So far so good.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Well having tried JRiver for 5 days now with no issues i would be pretty confident about paying for it as I'm still using the free version. I've been using the JRemote App which did skin me for £8 but it looks good and more importantly it works well (after a brief fight with Windows Firewall blocking it). It lets me just select all my music to play randomly which i used iTunes for.

However , does anyone know if after the initial payment do you have to pay every year or pay for upgrades in the future? Just now I'm on Version 21.
I think the payment buys you usage forever for that version and updates to that version. If you want version 22 or higher when it comes out though you have to pay, though it's usually a reduced rate.
Yeah I think Rufus is right I've been on 21 very stable, for yonks. There's nothing in 22 that particularly interests me and they still plan on supporting 21. Here's the forum posts for what's planned - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.ph...c=104805.0

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.ph...c=105110.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well now that JRiver is working flawlessly i went out and bought an HDMI cable to put the laptop screen onto the telly. Got a 10m one for £20 in B&Q of all places. Didn't know that they did than kind of stuff. Found it by accident. Not very high tech i know but hey, anything to make life easier.
And it's better than watching Euro 2016