Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulletproof Dialogue and Phantom configuration scenarios
To be helpful to those struggling to get a reliable and robust configuration for their particular  combination of  Phantoms w/without Dialog and Remote, I offer the following..... which after much experimentation and analysis and many bug reports and Devialet design team input now has my system the equivalent of my "hard wired" audiophile system.

First, here is my application scenario.

I have a Dialogue and 3 Silver Phantoms and the P Remote all located in my music room. The Phantoms are set up as L&R channels and center Mix. 

[[ The Dialogue optical in is connected to my Dspeaker Anti-mode 2.0 which connects to an optical switch which connects my audio sources (Bluesound node2, OPPO BDP105D, Marantz AVP8801). This connection enables all the native audio from these components as well as my NAS library and  Roon running from my Mac Pro and Macbook. The Dspeaker enables me to acoustically "tune" my room response for the sources that are sent to the Dialogue optical in.]]

The Dialogue and Phantoms are connected by Cat 6 Ethernet  using 5 "paired" TP Link 8010 1200 mbps CPL's which connect to my Gigabit switch which connects to my Peplink Balance 20 Dual Wan router. The TP Link 8010's are also AC passthrough and on the same branch AC line that is Star connected to a dedicated AC panel used only for gear in the music room. This enables me to have my Phantoms where I want them without filling the room with 10 meter ethernet cables.

Bluetooth and Autoswitch are turned off, and remote support is enabled.

Spark version 1.3.1 is loaded on my Iphone, iPad, Macbook and Mac Pro. 

Dialogues and Phantoms are version 1.4.1.12.

The wireless access points are Ruckus 802.11ac Wave2 1.6GB throughput..

WiFi only I found to be very flaky......with dropouts to phase shifting to disappearances and full cold start resets every 1/2 hour. 

The belt and suspenders combination of Ethernet and AC passthrough achieved substantial stability, less frequent full resets were required, and I sent the syslog files and observations to Devialet support and the design team sent me a pre release version of 1.4.1.12 which gained a marginal improvement, and I sent another set of syslogs with commentary to support and shortly after they general released 1.4.1.12.

The system has been rock solid with the latest Spark/Dialogue/Phantom release and the belt and suspenders configuration.

There are many possible configuration possibilities based on Devialet's white papers and marketing claims....and I have seen lots of posts indicating folks still struggling to get case hardened robust system performance (and many helpful suggestions).

For those who have achieved a happy  glitch free transcendental state, I'd encourage you to post your config detail specifics here to help those who are new to Devialet and can benefit from your experiences.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
What is your "optical switch" (which brand and model)?
Thanks.
ViewHD model VHD-TS3X1 with remote.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
At the moment I don't have any Phantom. From what I read here there are a lot of wi-fi issues and the system works only with wired Ethernet connection.
Few months ago the Devialet distributor come to my home to demonstrate me two Silvers. After a couple of resets finally the system started to play. Unsuccessfully start...Smile
One speaker was stable, the other one disconnected very often. Then we connected the Dialogue with a toslink cable to the Apple airport optical out and everything was ok. I was able to stream my music contained in my Apple iPhone through the AirPlay.
I understood that streaming music from three wi-fi sources is not a good idea. Too many passages.
wifi iPad-->Dialogue connected to Airport --> two wifi Phantoms.
This type of connection causes interruptions for many causes.
I read that the Phantoms work good only with wired connections.
I can understand that in every house there are non robust wi-fi signals or many interferences.
My motorized gate sometime works sometime it doesn't with the remote...I donno why
Yesterday my Nvidia Shield could not connect through the wi-fi. I did a reset and probably the Airport switched the channel.
Too many wi-fi signals were I live.
I think that Devialed should use a proprietary radio signal that doesn't interfere with the others.
The Devialet radio circuit is not professional.
Devialet needs employees able to design radio circuits. The amplifiers are ok, the housing are well designed but the most difficult circuit to build is the radio.
Do you remember the iPhone gate?

I'm waiting for the Phantom release II

regards
Hi ondastar,

Good idee so, i wil give my flawlesly working wireless system in a new replay, but for now i have a question for you

You have a Dialogue and 3 Silver Phantoms and the P Remote all located in my music room. The Phantoms are set up as L&R channels and center Mix.

I have at this moment 2 x sliver phantoms and a remote and want to buy a third silver phantom as a center speaker.

Can you please explain how this functions in a stereo with center phantom?
(13-Nov-2015, 00:28)ondastar Wrote: To be helpful to those struggling to get a reliable and robust configuration for their particular  combination of  Phantoms w/without Dialog and Remote, I offer the following..... which after much experimentation and analysis and many bug reports and Devialet design team input now has my system the equivalent of my "hard wired" audiophile system.

I have a Dialogue and 3 Silver Phantoms and the P Remote all located in my music room. The Phantoms are set up as L&R channels and center Mix. 

[[ The Dialogue optical in is connected to my Dspeaker Anti-mode 2.0 which connects to an optical switch which connects my audio sources (Bluesound node2, OPPO BDP105D, Marantz AVP8801). This connection enables all the native audio from these components as well as my NAS library and  Roon running from my Mac Pro and Macbook. The Dspeaker enables me to acoustically "tune" my room response for the sources that are sent to the Dialogue optical in.]]

The Dialogue and Phantoms are connected by Cat 6 Ethernet  using 5 "paired" TP Link 8010 1200 mbps CPL's which connect to my Gigabit switch which connects to my Peplink Balance 20 Dual Wan router. The TP Link 8010's are also AC passthrough and on the same branch AC line that is Star connected to a dedicated AC panel used only for gear in the music room. This enables me to have my Phantoms where I want them without filling the room with 10 meter ethernet cables.

WiFi only I found to be very flaky......with dropouts to phase shifting to disappearances and full cold start resets every 1/2 hour. 

The belt and suspenders combination of Ethernet and AC passthrough achieved substantial stability, less frequent full resets were required, and I sent the syslog files and observations to Devialet support and the design team sent me a pre release version of 1.4.1.12 which gained a marginal improvement, and I sent another set of syslogs with commentary to support and shortly after they general released 1.4.1.12.

The system has been rock solid with the latest Spark/Dialogue/Phantom release and the belt and suspenders configuration.

There are many possible configuration possibilities based on Devialet's white papers and marketing claims....and I have seen lots of posts indicating folks still struggling to get case hardened robust system performance (and many helpful suggestions).

For those who have achieved a happy  glitch free transcendental state, I'd encourage you to post your config detail specifics here to help those who are new to Devialet and can benefit from your experiences.

Many thanks for putting this together. I will try a similar setup. I have TP link CPL's but an older model supporting 300 Mbps. I'll replace them shortly by 1200 bps ones.

I have another question regarding your set-up: to which extent does your DSpeaker improve the sound? it is really noticeable?
Here is my wireless aplication scenario with no any problem anymore and the best sound i ever had!

CABLE MODEM (set inactiv for WLAN at my request by cable company) from this modem i go with audioquest cat 700 ethernet cable to a NETGEAR Nighthawk R-7000. (These NETGEAR is also the complete wireless system for the rest of my whole house and garden)

From these NETGEAR Nighthawk i go again with a audioquest cat 700 internetcable to the dialog. Further on the dialog no cables, so i go wireless to my 2 silver phantoms.

From My 4K TV i go with an audioquest diamond Toslink optical cable to the left PHANTOM. Further no cables to the 2 phantoms.

Everything Plays with the last software updates perfect, without any problem. And if i notice someting i do a complete factory reset, but thats also after the last software update not needed anymore.

- I play always with Spark from all my devices.

- I use my MacBook pro also wireless with Spark for playing my flac CD's

- I stream with Spark using qobuz (for me the best sounding one of the three choices) on the highest resolution (you must make these hi-res choices by Yourself in the settings in quboz and also in Spark!)

- My tv delivers also a very good sound from TV and films and also for radio at this moment (waiting for internetradio by using Spark)

- From every device; 2 iPads, 3 iPhones and the MacBook pro, i use Spark and it runs fantastic and very fast.

- The sound is awesome. In my whole live i have a (high-end) audio hobby (and thats for about 40 years). I had before several high-end systems combinations and not forgotten expensive cables for many systems and many the price of the phantoms, but this is the best sounding system i ever had!!

Everything is placed in the same room, the dialog is placed by the router on the other site of this room.

Everything is on the same electrical phase, no any filter etc.etc.

I have tried a several filters but the sounds even more worse

I am from Europe and sorry for my englisch, but it is not better. I hope that i can deliver some contribution.
(13-Nov-2015, 11:58)Johnnydev Wrote: Hi ondastar,

Good idee so, i wil give my flawlesly working wireless system in a new replay, but for now i have a question for you

You have a Dialogue and 3 Silver Phantoms and the P Remote all located in my music room. The Phantoms are set up as L&R channels and center Mix.

I have at this moment 2 x sliver phantoms and a remote and want to buy a third silver phantom as a center speaker.

Can you please explain how this functions in a stereo with center phantom?

The Spark app sets the Dialog to configure the Center as a "mix" of the stereo L&R channel audio signals. In effect the "mix" is a mono center channel.
The acoustic performance is excellent in creating an ambient spatial feeling.
(13-Nov-2015, 12:41)peramos Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 00:28)ondastar Wrote: To be helpful to those struggling to get a reliable and robust configuration for their particular  combination of  Phantoms w/without Dialog and Remote, I offer the following..... which after much experimentation and analysis and many bug reports and Devialet design team input now has my system the equivalent of my "hard wired" audiophile system.

Many thanks for putting this together. I will try a similar setup. I have TP link CPL's but an older model supporting 300 Mbps. I'll replace them shortly by 1200 bps ones.

I have another question regarding your set-up: to which extent does your DSpeaker improve the sound? it is really noticeable?

The Dspeaker is most effective in dealing with room resonance/reflectivity/echo at low frequency... as in 18-200Hz. To many listeners the Phantom has very powerful bass which can be overpowering depending on your room's characteristics. The Dspeaker will "characterize" your listening room using frequency generated sweeps picked up by the microphone supplied with the unit, and give you a "suggested" optimization which you can use or tweak.
(13-Nov-2015, 13:26)Johnnydev Wrote: Here is my wireless aplication scenario with no any problem anymore and the best sound i ever had!

CABLE MODEM (set inactiv for WLAN at my request by cable company) from this modem i go with audioquest cat 700 ethernet cable to a NETGEAR Nighthawk R-7000. (These NETGEAR is also the complete wireless system for the rest of my whole house and garden)

From these NETGEAR Nighthawk i go again with a audioquest cat 700 internetcable to the dialog. Further on the dialog no cables, so i go wireless to my 2 silver phantoms.

From My 4K TV i go with an audioquest diamond Toslink optical cable to the left PHANTOM. Further no cables to the 2 phantoms.

Everything Plays with the last software updates perfect, without any problem. And if i notice someting i do a complete factory reset, but thats also after the last software update not needed anymore.

- I play always with Spark from all my devices.

- I use my MacBook pro also wireless with Spark for playing my flac CD's

- I stream with Spark using qobuz (for me the best sounding one of the three choices) on the highest resolution (you must make these hi-res choices by Yourself in the settings in quboz and also in Spark!)

- My tv delivers also a very good sound from TV and films and also for radio at this moment (waiting for internetradio by using Spark)

- From every device; 2 iPads, 3 iPhones and the MacBook pro, i use Spark and it runs fantastic and very fast.

- The sound is awesome. In my whole live i have a (high-end) audio hobby (and thats for about 40 years). I had before several  high-end systems combinations and not forgotten expensive cables for many systems and many the price of the phantoms, but this is the best sounding system i ever had!!

Everything is placed in the same room, the dialog is placed by the router on the other site of this room.

Everything is on the same electrical phase, no any filter etc.etc.

I have tried a several filters but the sounds even more worse

I am from Europe and sorry for my englisch, but it is not better. I hope that i can deliver some contribution.

Oh Yes, i forgot someting: 

I have the slowest internet subscription from the cable company, only 40/4 Mbit/s