Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo
Hi!

I have the KEF LS50 Wireless and I really like them but there is undoubtedly potential in the low end. Now I am considering buying a sub or replace them with two Devialet Phantom Classics. The Golds are out of my budget and even the Classic force me to stretch. I also listen to the Reactors but I do not like the mids and highs and find them a bit compressed in comparison with my LS50W. Therefore, I have the following questions:

- Are the Classics substantially better in mids and highs as the Reactors?
- Do they work for movies (dialogues, background soundtracks, etc.) and does the "auto switch" mode work, i.e. I start TV, the Phantoms plays the TV sound?
- For those who also know the LS50W: Are they in the same league as LS50W + Sub? 
- Do they also work for classic / acoustic music?

I know, it's a subjective question and depends on the individual preferences but all information helps me and I am not able to test the Classic in the Stores due to Corona Lockdown.

Thank you!
(12-Jan-2021, 13:10)MC94 Wrote: Hi!

I have the KEF LS50 Wireless and I really like them but there is undoubtedly potential in the low end. Now I am considering buying a sub or replace them with two Devialet Phantom Classics. The Golds are out of my budget and even the Classic force me to stretch. I also listen to the Reactors but I do not like the mids and highs and find them a bit compressed in comparison with my LS50W. Therefore, I have the following questions:

- Are the Classics substantially better in mids and highs as the Reactors?
- Do they work for movies (dialogues, background soundtracks, etc.) and does the "auto switch" mode work, i.e. I start TV, the Phantoms plays the TV sound?
- For those who also know the LS50W: Are they in the same league as LS50W + Sub? 
- Do they also work for classic / acoustic music?

I know, it's a subjective question and depends on the individual preferences but all information helps me and I am not able to test the Classic in the Stores due to Corona Lockdown.

Thank you!

Hi, I have at this moment only one classic, besides my main HiFi system, but here are some observations for your questions:

- Phantom Classic is an audiophile device - Reactor is for Rap, Pop, TV etc. designed. They are fine, polite and very listenable.
- You have to go for a sub of 1000€+ to compare the bass speed and precision of Phantom. Even more. Bass is true High End - POINT!
- I'm listening a lot of classic and very often via one Phantom Classic - why? My OTL tubes are complicated, and the whole system has to be enjoyed on the sweet spot. Not for me all of the time anymore - since it's complicated. And the sound is comparable. 
- Phantom plays at low volumes much better than most High-End systems.
- with Gold you get an even forgetful and warmer treble. Everything is same (if you are listening at acceptable volume).

my 2 cents...
I compared a pair of Golds to a pair of Reactor 900s. Yes, Golds were better with a little more detail and sightly better mids and treble. I then put aside the comparison and listened to the Reactors on their own. My conclusion was that I could easily live with the Reactors, even though I was an owner of a pair of Golds.

The Reactors are value for money. For me, a pair of Reactors if my budget could not stretch to Golds.
(12-Jan-2021, 13:10)MC94 Wrote: - For those who also know the LS50W: Are they in the same league as LS50W + Sub? 

I have the LS50W and a pair of Golds. Unfortunately no Classics.
In direct comparison with the Golds, the LS50W not only lack in the low end. For me, the Golds are without any doubt in an entirely other league. Although Classics are not the same as Golds, I am sure they will achieve much better results than the LS50W.
Hi

I can’t answer your queries on the comparisons or movie use, but I do have a pair of classics in stereo fed by my innuos zen mini LFc file library or my pro-Ject turntable (both via optical).

Regarding your last question, In my opinion they sound really good on classical and acoustic music. They offer great detail as well as the bass which they are renown for on more electronic beat music.

Generally, I find the performance also depends on the quality of the source file or vinyl I feed it, which again is indicator to me of the phantom’s abilities. On great vinyl pressings or well recorded high res files it is noticeable the difference.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*flac file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a pair of classics in my bedroom and use it in conjunction an LGHU85LA projector and a Bluesound node2i. I love them. They sound great watching TV and movies and they sound equally as good with music (pop, rock, etc.). I can't compare my Golds to the Classics because they have a completely different audio chain, but I do have a pair of 900's using a similar audio chain and prefer the classics. IMHO, the Classics have a more "live" sound while the 900's have more of a "studio" sound.

Hope this helps
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Many thanks for the advice. This was very helpful! I will wait until I can test them in a shop or try them at home. Thanks!
(13-Jan-2021, 20:09)Bbnsound Wrote:
(12-Jan-2021, 13:10)MC94 Wrote: - For those who also know the LS50W: Are they in the same league as LS50W + Sub? 

In direct comparison with the Golds, the LS50W not only lack in the low end. For me, the Golds are without any doubt in an entirely other league. Although Classics are not the same as Golds, I am sure they will achieve much better results than the LS50W.

Hello,
you conclude the Golds are superior than LS50W, but in which aspects? Even in the mid? What about the timber? I read others reviews that on piano the timber was higly better with the Kef than the Phantom. The Kef was more for hifi and the phantom for HC.

Your point interested me because i mainly listen to acoustic music and i like warm sounds and beautiful voices (piano bar jazz voice).
My room is 23m2 and 3m50 listening distance.

Thanks
(19-Jan-2021, 10:47)fabien44 Wrote:
(13-Jan-2021, 20:09)Bbnsound Wrote:

Hello,
you conclude the Golds are superior than LS50W, but in which aspects? Even in the mid? What about the timber? I read others reviews that on piano the timber was higly better with the Kef than the Phantom. The Kef was more for hifi and the phantom for HC.

Your point interested me because i mainly listen to acoustic music and i like warm sounds and beautiful voices (piano bar jazz voice).
My room is 23m2 and 3m50 listening distance.

Thanks

As a previous owner of both the phantom gold and the ls50 wireless. I must say in the bass department and scale the phantom was clearly superior. 

But when you attach a subwoofer to the ls50w that setup sounded  better to me. 

The phantom golds were fun in the beginning and had a big wow factor. But that was mostly due to the bigness of the sound and the bass. They were impressive with electronic and dance music. 

However, it sounded cold and artificial to me. Especially acoustic and classical music sounded better on the kefs.

To me the Kefs had a warmer sound, better mids and as you mentioned piano, that was better on the Kefs as well.
Devialet Phantom Gold Stereo