Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C.A.P.S v4 music server.
Today I have a Auralic Aries but not really happy with the app on my android phone, crashes a lot and the Tidal integration is not so well done. So I was looking att maybe building something my self and looked at Computer audiophiles build CAPS v4. The main thing is that I would like to run ROON instead and the remote app on my tablet and if I install a bluray palyer I get that also in one machine.

What do you think is the CAPS going to be better than the Aries? I know that the Aries is going to develop more and Auralic has some sort of work with ROON but is that going to be that the Aries is avalible as a endpoint in ROON and I still need a computer on for the ROON program?

Today I have a NAS so this is only going to be a player that outputs USB signal to my D400 and if a install a bluray act as a HTPC connected to my TV.

Maybe use other components in the build, pleas do feel free to give advices.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten...-pipeline/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Yes, it's much better than the Aries. (don't know this from personal experience but from following the different forums)

Add a Uptone Audio USB Regen, a JCAT battery PSU (to power the SSD and USB card with) and replace the SoTM USB card with a JCAT USB card. Also use a Paul Pang SATA cable if your budget allows for it.
Use Windows Server 2012 R2 and Audiophile Optimizer as the OS and try out JPlay (you can use this with Roon as well).

Playback of locally stored media files sound better. SSD is better than HDD.

To save costs you could settle on a lower TDP CPU and 8GB of RAM. However if you're planning on using software like HQPlayer you'll need the processing power. If you target your machine to become a Roon Core installation you're better of with a Core i5 or i7 CPU with integrated graphics. You can't use a Xeon with Roon (no integrated graphics) unless you install a discrete graphics card.

However don't do all this if you're not fully comfortable with and around computer hard- and software and reading a lot about it being applied in this way. Smile

Another disclaimer, developments go very FAST in this area. It could be that todays top of the bill system isn't that anymore tomorrow.

Don't try to justify it all using common computer knowledge and the 'bits are bits' theory like I once used to, there's simply more to it and some of the things that seem crazy actually work. Smile Perhaps just start with the basics and then expand when you get the hang of it all.

My $.02.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Ok thanks for the input, will think about my future plans. And after some reading, this is a djungle and I think I am not going to build it myself if I am going to do this.

If you (Antoine) were to build it today what would you use for components if we use the CAPS v4 as a starter point?

My plan is to run ROON on it and have a bluray player in it.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(26-Jul-2015, 13:26)octaviars Wrote: Ok thanks for the input, will think about my future plans. And after some reading, this is a djungle and I think I am not going to build it myself if I am going to do this.

If you (Antoine) were to build it today what would you use for components if we use the CAPS v4 as a starter point?

My plan is to run ROON on it and have a bluray player in it.

Just another point of view, you will find one every which way you turn.

Playback of files stored on a NAS sounds as good if not better than those stored locally. 

The quality of the Aries is comparable to tricked out PCs and Macs. Better to some, not quite as good to others. Again opinions do vary greatly and it has to be weighed against the sound of your room, your equipment, and your listening tastes.

( There are no absolutes )

Roon is fantastic. At a minimum you need one PC/MAC/System running Roon Core. Once Roonspeakers support is added to the Aries, then you will still need to have Roon running on one supported device as the core.

Some folks love one or two CAPS machines used either solo or in tandem. Others love a Mac Mini optimized and with a linear power supply.

Many enjoy the Regen, your results will vary based on the quality of your DAC and other factors.

Speakers still are an all important part of the equation.

Don't ditch the NAS, it is invaluable for your music storage, the sound quality is as good as locally stored music files. If you wish to use a system that supports Roon there are lots of inexpensive options to start with first.

IMHO of course...and not to disparage anyone else's opinion.

As a point of reference I have or have had a NAS, an Aries, a Regen, a Windows PC running Roon, a Mac Mini running Roon, a Macbook Air running Roon. I have used the Aries with both local USB storage, via a NAS using either Minimserver or Lightning Server. I have had both the green and amber versions of the Regen. I have run "optimized" versions of the OS on the PCs and Macs. I have tried Windows 8.1, 2012, and 10.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I'm building a NUC for Roon. Planning to have i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. And an external linear power supply.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(27-Jul-2015, 05:58)hk6230 Wrote: I'm building a NUC for Roon. Planning to have i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. And an external linear power supply.

I would love to hear more once you have done so, I have been considering that path.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Thanks for the input. Think I might hold back a little to se if and when Auralic gets the ROON support. Maybe a NUC with ROON and keep the Aries is a way to go.

Second system

why dont you keep the aries, then use the caps computer for roon plus HQ player which it will support soon along with roon speakers.

i dont think a nuc will be suitable if you wanted to use hq player with roon.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(27-Jul-2015, 09:10)completeluxury Wrote: why dont you keep the aries, then use the caps computer for roon plus HQ player which it will support soon along with roon speakers.

i dont think a nuc will be suitable if you wanted to use hq player with roon.

Yes it will if you get an i5 based new one.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
hqplayer is recommened to be run on a cpu at 3.4 ghz.

no nuc has a cpu close to that.

and if you read the reason why it is recommended at that speed you wont skimp on the cpu
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)