Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
Have Anybody try high output caridge like soundsmidt ? Mabye With Them there is no hiss?
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(15-Aug-2019, 15:06)Finn Wrote: Have Anybody try high output caridge like soundsmidt ? Mabye With Them there is no hiss?
I have tried soundsmith zephyr 3 high output mc. Hiss was not problem and it sounded good.
Thank you Waiski , mabye i Will try Soundsmith .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(15-Aug-2019, 17:54)Finn Wrote: Thank you    Waiski , mabye i Will try Soundsmith .
High output MC cartridges in general do not provide the sound finesse of a low output MC cartridge. You will miss out on the subtle sounds and nuances potentially available from your vinyl. As ever with the Devialet, you are making a compromise to get rid of the hiss. 

I have yet yet to send my hiss recording to Mathieu Pernot as he requested at the Oxford Audio event last month but will get it done soon. In the meantime, I’ll continue with my separate phonostage regardless of how ridiculous Mathieu considers my approach. I think what you said in another thread about the size of phonostages is correct. As much as I hope for a solution from Devialet, I believe the reality is that if your vinyl replay is important to you, an external phonostage is the best solution with step up transformers as a secondary option.

Of course, I am using a single D250. I have to acknowledge that vinyl through my friend @NickB ‘s D1000 system, it has a hiss level that is much more tolerable, infact inaudible from the listening position, but with two amps, that is to be expected.

Never the less, a £13,500 single integrated amplifier should have a hiss free phonostage regardless of the cartridge used. That it does not is for me a major disappointment.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
Try Soundsmith and be surprised. They are good.
I only have a modest Rega Carbon cartridge since LPs are low on my listening list.
This cartridge has an advertised output of 2.5mV at 1 KHz. I set the level to 3.5 mV after a bit of trial and error. Too low and it started to clip, too high and there was hiss. I also set the RIAA curve to 1953. This provides the best sounding recordings upon ripping with Vinyl Studio

I must have ripped about 300 LPs for friends. All are thrilled with the result.
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
Have a Dynavector 10x5 what would the best setting be please ?
MM ( it’s an MC with High Output)
2,5 mV max
100 - 300 Ohm, like your Taste
2 - 2,2 gr on Arm

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
How would you recommend to set Devialet for Linn Kandid cartridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With Linn Kandid I would go with 200 Ohms or 300 Ohms and 100 or 200 pF

Please check it out.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk