Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certified Refurbished Silver Phantom
(20-Nov-2018, 17:51)kmjy Wrote:
(20-Nov-2018, 17:26)ragwo Wrote: They have the same offer at the local Devialet pusher. I've asked if it's ADH or ADH2, they didn't know for sure but thought it was ADH. That's unfortunate, cause the noise floor of ADH is unbearable IMO.

Okay that’s very informative!

Maybe it is just ADH, because there’s no mention of the new ‘premier’ status. Knowing Devialet though it’ll be a mixture of everything and they work even know for sure what is what.

I agree with you though. I managed to get my unit upgraded from ADH to ADH2 and it’s noticeable. Honestly I think it composes itself better overall.

For what it's worth, the new Phantom Reactor has ADH3 instead of ADH2. Is the technology hardware or software-based? If it is software, owners of the "Premier" line might receive an update in the future!
(20-Nov-2018, 18:37)misterhon Wrote:
(20-Nov-2018, 17:51)kmjy Wrote:
(20-Nov-2018, 17:26)ragwo Wrote: They have the same offer at the local Devialet pusher. I've asked if it's ADH or ADH2, they didn't know for sure but thought it was ADH. That's unfortunate, cause the noise floor of ADH is unbearable IMO.

Okay that’s very informative!

Maybe it is just ADH, because there’s no mention of the new ‘premier’ status. Knowing Devialet though it’ll be a mixture of everything and they work even know for sure what is what.

I agree with you though. I managed to get my unit upgraded from ADH to ADH2 and it’s noticeable. Honestly I think it composes itself better overall.

For what it's worth, the new Phantom Reactor has ADH3 instead of ADH2. Is the technology hardware or software-based? If it is software, owners of the "Premier" line might receive an update in the future!

Last year I asked Devialet about this and they confirmed that ADH is physical hardware. They explained that the serial numbers indicate the level of ADH. There are Phantom out there today with original ADH which they said cannot be upgraded but all Phantom as of early this year have ADH2 standard. They tried to tell me though that there are ZERO differences between ADH and ADH2 units. 
I think ADH3 is just an even more efficient chip, even more miniaturised. We may see it in new hardware revisions of the Premier line but I don't believe it's changed from a hardware based component to a software one. Although almost everything with Devialet is quite confusing.

In saying that, the current hardware has so much potential, the ADH2 is not lacking and can be optimised much better, they just either can't be bothered or take 10 years to do so. Each chip revision basically skips the fine tuning stage for the existing chip, and goes straight ahead onto having a better piece of hardware which then somehow someway exceeds the previous chip, so then they can never optimise the old one to the point of the new one. Whereas they could just focus on what they've got.

With ADH3 though I'm certain it's the same as ADH2 but considerably more efficient and quite a bit smaller. Paired with the other redesigned processing and signal management components it should be technically capable of outputting the same raw sound quality as the Premier line, although now it's limited by the physical speaker hardware. Overall there should be also less heat generated too.
As I finished writing that last reply I saw this posted by Devialet on Instagram. I guess it is the same thing.

[Image: 2d1b37b3a43990fe8d3855452bd2f48a.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
(20-Nov-2018, 18:57)kmjy Wrote: As I finished writing that last reply I saw this posted by Devialet on Instagram. I guess it is the same thing.

It'd be funny if Devialet is actually reading our conversations here and market accordingly!
(20-Nov-2018, 20:08)misterhon Wrote:
(20-Nov-2018, 18:57)kmjy Wrote: As I finished writing that last reply I saw this posted by Devialet on Instagram. I guess it is the same thing.

It'd be funny if Devialet is actually reading our conversations here and market accordingly!

Hahaha, I actually had that exact same thought. Quite coincidental!
Devialet Phantom (White)
(20-Nov-2018, 18:02)kmjy Wrote: Okay, I managed to find the purchase page. You're completely right. This is so interesting.

It does also say they are ADH2 units! Hmmm!

https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/buy-silve...o-airplay/

I can't see ADH2 mentioned anywhere, could you please guide me in the right direction? The specs are the same as ADH2, but no mention of ADH2 as I can see. If it is ADH2, I would be very tempted to by one or three for a surround setup.

Edit:
Found it! Thanks a lot!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
All this marketing bulls**t is very tedious and shows no innovation.

Why don't they say "meet the new ADH3, just the same as ADH but larger and less efficient".

Just as incredulous as the identical sounding first Phantom and as Phantom Titanium due in 2020 with AHD6+.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(20-Nov-2018, 21:57)IanG-UK Wrote: All this marketing bulls**t is very tedious and shows no innovation.

Why don't they say "meet the new ADH3, just the same as ADH but larger and less efficient".

Just as incredulous as the identical sounding first Phantom and as Phantom Titanium due in 2020 with AHD6+.

I'm sure downsizing the Phantom Premier tech to fit in the Reactor form factor, driving down costs and maintain comparable sound quality was no small engineering feat, and definitely good for business as they can finally reach customers at the lower, $1K price point.

You know what I want to see next, is that Devialet somehow make a wireless, water-resistant version of the Reactor that plays for 10hrs with a single charge. Bose already has something in that market for $600.
(20-Nov-2018, 21:31)ragwo Wrote:
(20-Nov-2018, 18:02)kmjy Wrote: Okay, I managed to find the purchase page. You're completely right. This is so interesting.

I can't see ADH2 mentioned anywhere, could you please guide me in the right direction? The specs are the same as ADH2, but no mention of ADH2 as I can see. If it is ADH2, I would be very tempted to by one or three for a surround setup.

Edit:
Found it! Thanks a lot!

Are you looking to go the "immersive room" route using the Xilica Uno, or "surround setup" through Dialog?
(20-Nov-2018, 22:21)misterhon Wrote:
(20-Nov-2018, 21:31)ragwo Wrote:

Edit:
Found it! Thanks a lot!

Are you looking to go the "immersive room" route using the Xilica Uno, or "surround setup" through Dialog?

I'm going the economy route using analogue out on an Oppo 103 and a bunch of inexpensive ADCs. The speakers will be in Direct optical mode. If it works out well I'll maybe go for Xilica Uno when I can afford it
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage