Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome Plating went Off
Sad 
Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that some of the chrome plating went off. Please see attached photos.
Nothing has dropped on it ad I always carefully removed the back when I changed the FW which I din't do too often either - still on 7.1.3.

Before I contact my dealer, I wanted to ask if anyone has seen something similar?

Thanks,
Ralf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
You won't have an issue getting it replaced and I suspect this is going to become more of an issue as time goes by. The prep required for plating aluminum with chrome is simply too arduous and unreliable... there's going to be constant issues as machine oils and coolants used when CNCing begin to migrate back out of the alloy porosity that opened up under heat due to machining and start to loosen and blister the 3-layer plating. Once you see a bubble form in the chrome, its too late. These things usually fail in batches... good batches & bad batches all related to pre-plating surface prep. And sadly they're too labor-intensive to strip & re-plate. Cheaper for Devialet to toss em and start with a new billet than risk it recurring repeatedly on the same parts. Whatta waste!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(27-Jul-2015, 20:26)Manoet Wrote: You won't have an issue getting it replaced and I suspect this is going to become more of an issue as time goes by. The prep required for plating aluminum with chrome is simply too arduous and unreliable... there's going to be constant issues as machine oils and coolants used when CNCing begin to migrate back out of the alloy porosity that opened up under heat due to machining and start to loosen and blister the 3-layer plating. Once you see a bubble form in the chrome, its too late. These things usually fail in batches... good batches & bad batches all related to pre-plating surface prep. And sadly they're too labor-intensive to strip & re-plate. Cheaper for Devialet to toss em and start with a new billet than risk it recurring repeatedly on the same parts. Whatta waste!

Hi Manoet,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer, really appreciate it!
I sent the photos to my dealer. Let's see what they say.

Cheers,
Ralf
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
I bet Devialet's warranty department hate reading this site! I wonder if they'll reduce the warranty when/if new models come out next year?
(27-Jul-2015, 20:07)G-Vialet Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Just noticed that some of the chrome plating went off. Please see attached photos.
Nothing has dropped on it ad I always carefully removed the back when I changed the FW which I din't do too often either - still on 7.1.3.

Before I contact my dealer, I wanted to ask if anyone has seen something similar?

Thanks,
Ralf

When You bought Your 120? How old is it?
OMG they are all going to fall apart Tongue
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(28-Jul-2015, 12:08)moreno1973 Wrote:
(27-Jul-2015, 20:07)G-Vialet Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Ralf

When You bought Your 120? How old is it?

November 2014
(28-Jul-2015, 18:58)NickB Wrote: OMG they are all going to fall apart Tongue

Maybe caused by the frequencies of the music I am listening to Cool
(28-Jul-2015, 07:33)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I bet Devialet's warranty department hate reading this site! I wonder if they'll reduce the warranty when/if new models come out next year?

They should be happy to have this great QA-Team for free Smile
(28-Jul-2015, 20:11)G-Vialet Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 07:33)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I bet Devialet's warranty department hate reading this site! I wonder if they'll reduce the warranty when/if new models come out next year?

They should be happy to have this great QA-Team for free Smile

Ha ha! So true!