Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms died - Caused by update? Resusitated OK
My pair of phantoms worked fine earlier today, but when I tried to switch them on this evening they were completely dead.  Maybe they had been trying to update when I switched them off at the socket earlier - though I had not been offered an update earlier.  Who knows.  Anyway the Dialog and Spark would not recognise them, and they didn't 'breathe': they played dead!

In case anyone else has the same problem, here was my solution.  I started the initial set up but had to do a 'factory reset': ie press the 'off' button at the back of the Phantoms 3 times.  (Had wondered what that button was for!).  The Phantoms started breathing (alive! relief!) and the set-up worked as initially, including the update.  Actually I tried various other methods of restarting the system before I discovered the factory reset process on Devialet's web page - in all an hour and a half.  Missed Brahms Symphony 1.

The Phantoms have a great sound, but they are not for the faint hearted.

PS  It took three tries to update Spark on my iPad, and the new version of Spark offered for Windows 7 seems to be the old version
(23-Sep-2015, 22:18)andrew_brown Wrote: My pair of phantoms worked fine earlier today, but when I tried to switch them on this evening they were completely dead.  Maybe they had been trying to update when I switched them off at the socket earlier - though I had not been offered an update earlier.  Who knows.  Anyway the Dialog and Spark would not recognise them, and they didn't 'breathe': they played dead!

In case anyone else has the same problem, here was my solution.  I started the initial set up but had to do a 'factory reset': ie press the 'off' button at the back of the Phantoms 3 times.  (Had wondered what that button was for!).  The Phantoms started breathing (alive! relief!) and the set-up worked as initially, including the update.  Actually I tried various other methods of restarting the system before I discovered the factory reset process on Devialet's web page - in all an hour and a half.  Missed Brahms Symphony 1.

PS  It took three tries to update Spark on my iPad, and the new version of Spark offered for Windows 7 seems to be the old version

The Phantoms will not update automatically without a prompt from Spark where you click on a button to start the upgrade so doubt that was your problem.

I found the same as you, that is Spark stayed at 1.2 after the Phantom updated to 1.4.0.5 and I had to go to the Devialet site to download Spark 1.3 to my computer (Windows 8.2) manually.
Then it is of greater concern.  What could have cause two Phantoms to fail to respond at all at the same time?
(23-Sep-2015, 22:18)andrew_brown Wrote: My pair of phantoms worked fine earlier today, but when I tried to switch them on this evening they were completely dead.  Maybe they had been trying to update when I switched them off at the socket earlier - though I had not been offered an update earlier.  Who knows.  Anyway the Dialog and Spark would not recognise them, and they didn't 'breathe': they played dead!

Ha! You almost died with them, didn't you? Big Grin

I laugh, but I know I'd die, too Confused