Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clean power for Devialet
Was not doubting you, sorry if my reply came across that way. And to be honest upon further reflection, your approach was based on sound logic. In this hobby, the equipment can cost many thousands of $$$. I just never considered remodeling your home as an option to improving sound, or that it could be cheaper than a piece of audio equipment, but obviously that can easily be the case.

Regards,

Mike
(27-Aug-2018, 07:41)chrisc Wrote: Tried several power conditioners.  The drawbacks (mainly loss of dynamics) outweigh the benefits.  
Have to agree that the main drawback of power conditioners is loss of dynamics.  Was initially impressed by the darker background but much later discovered the loss of dynamics using "Tear it Up" in Chesky's Ultimate Demo Disc Vol 2 (also available in HDTRacks).  Will now always use this track to check when I am making a change.
"Power Demystified"
Garth Powell / AudioQuest
Some interesting aspects about electricity!

Attached Files
.pdf   Power Demystified-whitepaper-8-23-18.pdf (Size: 513.26 KB / Downloads: 75)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
personally, i've found that my Torus RM15 added more dynamics and lowered the noise floor, compared to plugging directly into the wall
Audioquest NRG-10 -> Bryston Bit15 (Torus RM15) on Finite Elemete Cereball
Crystal Cable Standard -> Aurender N100h on Finite Elemete Cereball -> Audioquest Diamond USB
Audioquest Tornado -> Devialet 120 on Isoacoustics orea bronze -> Crystal Cable Micro Speaker Cable -> Focal Micro Utopia Be
Solid Tech ROS Rack
(25-Feb-2019, 16:24)K4680 Wrote: "Power Demystified"
Garth Powell / AudioQuest
Some interesting aspects about electricity!

Interesting read but obviously should be taken in context of being written by a cable/power conditioner company. But broadly it seems all measuremts hinge on what was used as a ‘standard wall outlet’. Even assuming they did genuinely use an average one rather than a nice noisy one, it’s still hard to gauge how our own outlets compare.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Written by audioquest......

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audioque...am.795911/
Try Goal Zero Yeti 3000 - enough for almost any system and completely independent of any mains at all!
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
Mentioned in post # 5, that I fitted a PV powered inverter with 105 a/h gel-type lead-acid batteries back in 2015

The batteries have reached their sell-by date which was evident by a rather short session one night after dark when the AC power went off and the batteries stopped working after 45 mins

Have replaced these with a 28 volt 1200Kw lithium-ion phosphate battery pack.   The inverter's charging characteristic had to be modified to cater for the new batteries' requirements

After letting them settle down for 10 days and charge to 100%, I disconnected the mains from the inverter by means of a Changeover Switch which bypasses both live and neutral

Apart from being able to run the Devialet, sub and computer for 6 hours with only 8% discharged from the battery, I noticed a distinctly lowered noise floor which equates to better definition

The lithium-ion battery costs about 15 times that of the lead-acid equivalent.  It has a 10 year warranty and expected 20 year life, if not frequently discharged beyond 60%

[Image: e8dxpbO.jpg]
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds