Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200
(15-Jan-2017, 12:56)Cylob Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 03:51)Dr Tone Wrote: One note on 7.1.3 compared to the D220 Pro.  7.1.3 is quite a bit warmer and a little compressed in comparison or maybe laid back is a better description.  If this works for your speakers and you love 7.1.3 I don't think the 220 Pro is necessarily for you.

Happy to see your findings on 200@v7.1.3  vs 220@v10.0. Exactly what I was hoping for: a warmer, more laid back sound.

This is why firmware 9 or 10 and all Pro are not for me. 

I prefer to sit in opera house in tenth row not in the first.
Although I am a big fan of 7.1.3 on my D200 it is all to simplified to state:

200 + 7.1.3 > 220 pro

We should all listen and judge for ourselves. In a demo I found the pro much more musical and easier to listen to. The front row analogy is for me not accurate. That is why I ordered the upgrade.
Devialet 220pro - Sonus Faber Olympica II - Moon Neo 260D - Oppo BDP103 - Lessloss DFPC Signature - Lessloss Firewall - Intel NUC - AQ USB Coffee

The Netherlands
(15-Jan-2017, 20:32)Arjan Wrote: Although I am a big fan of 7.1.3 on my D200 it is all to simplified to state:

200 + 7.1.3 > 220 pro

We should all listen and judge for ourselves. In a demo I found the pro much more musical and easier to listen to. The front row analogy is for me not accurate. That is why I ordered the upgrade.

I agree.  I also think this is system dependant, back in my D800 days I actually preferred firmwares 8 and 9 to 7.1.3.  This is something I posted about ages ago, I had been running firmware 8 for a while and thought I'd try going back to the much loved 7.13. I actually found that in my system and with my ears, firmware 7.1.3 sounded a touch harsh versus firmware 8.  I am also aware that there are others that prefer firmware 8+ but don't appear to post about it as much as the 7.13 lovers.  It's like many things, personal preference is a big factor, but there are few absolutes.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
So after a 3 hour straight session on the 220 Pro listening to music I didn't enjoy much on my 200, I've just switched back to the 200. Quickly going over some of the same tracks...

It's on these particular tracks I finally feel the 220s fuller and more impactful bottom end. I also think the upper mids are slightly more focused on the D200 and the D200 doesn't breath because of it, these tracks come across as flat and uninvolving on the 200 because of it.

The 220s highs aren't more forgiving the treble is still as unbarable on some tracks but it breaths and with the more impactful bottom end the 220 Pro presentation help you ignore the problem and enjoy the music more.

As I mentioned before the instruments and vocals popping out the speaker adds to 220 enjoyment.

On full sounding, well recorded music these things are harder to notice.

I don't know how else to describe it, this the best I could come up with.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(15-Jan-2017, 22:56)Dr Tone Wrote: So after a 3 hour straight session on the 220 Pro listening to music I didn't enjoy much on my 200, I've just switched back to the 200.  Quickly going over some of the same tracks...

It's on these particular tracks I finally feel the 220s fuller and more impactful bottom end. I also think the upper mids are slightly more focused on the D200 and the D200 doesn't breath because of it, these tracks come across as flat and uninvolving on the 200 because of it.

The 220s highs aren't more forgiving the treble is still as unbarable on some tracks but it breaths and with the more impactful bottom end the 220 Pro presentation help you ignore the problem and enjoy the music more.

As I mentioned before the instruments and vocals popping out the speaker adds to 220 enjoyment.

On full sounding, well recorded music these things are harder to notice.

I don't know how else to describe it, this the best I could come up with.
Are you warming to the Pro or do you think the MAC6700 still the one you would want? 
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(15-Jan-2017, 23:06)Confused Wrote: Are you warming to the Pro or do you think the MAC6700 still the one you would want? 

I still want to hear the C47/MC152 combo, I had decided the MAC6700 integrated wasn't the right way to go.  The new DAC in the C47 is suppose to be quite a bit better and the size of the the smaller seperates would still work for me.

I might do the upgrade just for resale value at the vary least, I doubt I could sell my D200 as is in this market.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

One annoying thing about the 220 Pro is the remote, it seems if you just turn it sloghtly nothing happens, you have twist it more aggressively to get a volume change.

To make the comparison even harder, I think you should also listen to a 400. As the upgrade to 220 Pro comes at a cost, spending this money could also almost buy you an ex-demo 200 or companion. Going double mono has many benefits that are not subtle. It is not all about the extra power as I have written earlier.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(16-Jan-2017, 08:57)kerkhoffd Wrote: To make the comparison even harder, I think you should also listen to a 400. As the upgrade to 220 Pro comes at a cost, spending this money could also almost buy you an ex-demo 200 or companion. Going double mono has many benefits that are not subtle. It is not all about the extra power as I have written earlier.

That's an impossible comparison, dealer sold his last 200 a few weeks back.

A used D200 sell for much less than the upgrade price in Canada.  Sad

(16-Jan-2017, 14:28)Dr Tone Wrote:
(16-Jan-2017, 08:57)kerkhoffd Wrote: To make the comparison even harder, I think you should also listen to a 400. As the upgrade to 220 Pro comes at a cost, spending this money could also almost buy you an ex-demo 200 or companion. Going double mono has many benefits that are not subtle. It is not all about the extra power as I have written earlier.

That's an impossible comparison, dealer sold his last 200 a few weeks back.

A used D200 sell for much less than the upgrade price in Canada.  Sad

That's a shame. Would have been well worth it. Must say I was quite lucky to buy an ex-demo in The Netherlands a few months ago and happy to be able to do the comparison 200 - 220 - 400 Side by Side. But if not an option, never mind. Just enjoy either option you chose. They are both enjoyable.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands