Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200
(16-Jan-2017, 14:28)Dr Tone Wrote: used D200 sell for much less than the upgrade price in Canada.  Sad

Not that it is worth a lengthy debate, but my check on CAM shows the cheapest D200 is $5,250.00; that is more than the upgrade cost me. There is also a companion for $4,750.00. There is variation, naturally, but it is all up. The Expert line is now 'the previous generation' so it is logically worth less on the used market. But it does not change the intrinsic value or sound quality of the amp. If it was excellent before, it is still excellent.

But given the prices generally of audio equipment in this range, the cost difference is probably a secondary concern for anyone considering a D200 to D220 Pro upgrade versus a move to a D400. I'm thinking that the positive side is that if one can compare the two options, then the cost difference is not likely to be the deciding factor.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(17-Jan-2017, 16:52)Damon Wrote:
(16-Jan-2017, 14:28)Dr Tone Wrote: used D200 sell for much less than the upgrade price in Canada.  Sad

Not that it is worth a lengthy debate, but my check on CAM shows the cheapest D200 is $5,250.00; that is more than the upgrade cost me. There is also a companion for $4,750.00. There is variation, naturally, but it is all up. The Expert line is now 'the previous generation' so it is logically worth less on the used market. But it does not change the intrinsic value or sound quality of the amp. If it was excellent before, it is still excellent.

But given the prices generally of audio equipment in this range, the cost difference is probably a secondary concern for anyone considering a D200 to D220 Pro upgrade versus a move to a D400. I'm thinking that the positive side is that if one can compare the two options, then the cost difference is not likely to be the deciding factor.

That D200 just listed yesterday he won't get a sniff of interest at that price.  I had mine listed for a while and never got an offer over $4000. Devialet was blowing out the D200 for $8000+Taxes for over 6 months prior to the new amps coming out. Now the D220 Pro is priced at $14,000+Taxes. That's brig price difference.

My thought was if I wanted to sell it, I have a better chance investing $5000 and selling a D220 Pro at >$9000 over a D200 at >$4000. Saves the buyer the hassle of shipping it away.

On the subject of the D400, I've been talking to the guy south of Calgary that his listed at $9500. It's been up for sale for months now, he hasn't had a sniff of serious interest and has slowly lowered his price by $2000 already.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Jan-2017, 17:02)LDr Tone Wrote:
(17-Jan-2017, 16:52)Damon Wrote:
(16-Jan-2017, 14:28)Dr Tone Wrote: used D200 sell for much less than the upgrade price in Canada.  Sad

That D200 just listed yesterday he won't get a sniff of interest at that price.  I had mine listed for a while and never got an offer over $4000.  Devialet was blowing out the D200 for $8000+Taxes for over 6 months prior to the new amps coming out.  Now the D220 Pro is priced at $14,000+Taxes.  That's brig price difference.

My thought was if I wanted to sell it, I have a better chance investing $5000 and selling a D220 Pro at >$9000 over a D200 at >$4000.  Saves the buyer the hassle of shipping it away.

On the subject of the D400, I've been talking to the guy south of Calgary that his listed at $9500. It's been up for sale for months now, he hasn't had a sniff of serious interest and has slowly lowered his price by $2000 already.

Gosh the D220 becomes very expensive with taxes added in Canada, do you get screwed on all high end HiFi? I also factored in resale value when upgrading and obviously also the streamer card worth £1300 for each unit, lol ?
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
(17-Jan-2017, 19:23)Dannythered Wrote: Gosh the D220 becomes very expensive with taxes added in Canada, do you get screwed on all high end HiFi? I also factored in resale value when upgrading and obviously also the streamer card worth £1300 for each unit, lol ?

It's partially Devialet raising the prices a bit and our currency not doing as well again the Euro.  It is what it is.

Oddly some US HIFI vendors are actually giving our dealers a break since our currency tanked.  Multiple dealers have mentioned it.  So it could be worst, certainly not as good as when our dollar was close to par with US.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I'm not sure my memory is good enough to make the comparison, but judging by memory the 220 Pro is an improvement in every way. The effortlessness and bass may be due to the 100 watt boost. There appears to be a lot more detail in the midrange and it appears to sound much more natural overall. Kudos to Devialet. Now if I could only get AIR to work.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

My D220 just arrived back after a hiatus of just over 2 months.  My memory isn't sufficient to remember what it sounded like back then. Now that its back, its been playing for four days non-stop (with exception of work and sleep) and it continues to amaze me.  
Vinyl, cd or streaming.  Loving it.  It can't be healthy experiencing these kinds of attachments can it?   Blush
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
My Devialet D220 pro arrived last tuesday after a turnaround of two weeks. I have to say that the upgade program runs like a smooth engine. Communication and speed are excellent. The unit has been playing all week and last night I sat down to listen to my favourite recordings. I am a firmware 7.1.3 fan and only decided to upgrade after a demo. My takeaways:
- The 220 pro is excellent
- Voices and instruments are real. The pro has become more musical, more refined
- The soundstage is better. Transients are clear and defined
- The noise floor is significant lower and creates more depth
- Increased bass performance

The upgrade is expensive but to me it is one of my better hifi purchases. I can only give it a firm recommendation
Devialet 220pro - Sonus Faber Olympica II - Moon Neo 260D - Oppo BDP103 - Lessloss DFPC Signature - Lessloss Firewall - Intel NUC - AQ USB Coffee

The Netherlands
Hi fellas,
This post is for the guys who didnt made the plunge for the upgrade for pro series.
I recently tested a pro220 in my system, with a friend who just bought it second hand.
After connecting speaker cables , and power cable on the sirius power blocks, i loaded my sd card( the one i have on my dev200) into the pro220 in order to get my config straight away!
I was happy because this took me 5 mn to finish installation and started enjoying the listening session with my friend.
In the middle of the first track my friend told me there s something wrong!
It is not sounding right! I said may be it s cold, or not burned in.
But after the second track i also felt that it was sounding worse than my dev200.
To make the long story short,the pro of course was wrongly set with dev200 config with the power 200watt;immediately corrected and we started again.
From the first trach again i heard the difference in sound: better bass.
The pro220 is in every aspect better than expert200, but mostly, i say mostly because the biggest change and very obvious change i ve heard was on the bass.
I was enjoying the sound of familiar tracks i know very well like fleetwood "dreams" and i felt more control on the speakers and more air between instruments.
One track just amazed me, it s sexual healing of marvin gay, i heard this track a lot, but this time i ve heard one synthetiser note i never heard before!
Vocals seems the same to me, may be a bit , less digital than dev200.
I felt the mids more controlled and enjoyable.
The track wich amazed my friend and i is " in my room" of jacob collier;this album is amazing: all tracks are plenty of details ,vocal and bassssssss.( hideaway and down the line tracks were amazing also)
In my room track : the soundstage was so big ! The details of the istruments and vocal so well controlled in the big cloud of sound, i know the track very well and the bass is soo difficult to control. I felt the pro220 controlling each lower note very well eventhough we pushed the volume up to + 2db.
Am i going to upgrade ? Probably not, but selling dev200 and buying pro 220 used or pro440 used probably yes.

Macbook pro -Air-Roon/-tidal-Devialet200 /frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Power conditionner:isotek evo3+isotek sequel pc
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina