Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAAT vs Upnp
(02-Feb-2021, 23:42)The source Wrote: @ragwo
Thanks...i know how RAAT works.
But do you really can hear the difference?
Have you tried to examine the same file on both and disconnect yourself from the scientific explanation of RAAT and really listen to the differences?

No and no. I bought a lifetime membership and didn't consider Audirvana before the purchase. As I understand some prefer the sound of Audirvana over Roon, some don't or can't hear any difference. For what it is worth, I've tried Bubble UPnP and the UPnP to Squeezebox plug in for Roon and I couldn't hear any difference.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(02-Feb-2021, 14:41)borisy Wrote: My Bluesound node 2i with MQA still sound better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I validate this information. The implementation of RAAT in the DEVIALET (Phantom Gold as far as I'm concerned) is terribly disappointing in terms of sound quality, to the point that after the last update, I had the feeling that the sound personality of my speakers, which until then had remained in DOS1, had been totally modified (and not for the better): attenuated and less lively bass, coupled with an overall feeling of forcing, of a slightly blurred projection in the mid/high range, a much less stable sound scene with less precise placement of the sound objects...  My configuration : Roon in direct RAAT connection with the Phantom.

Then I went back to my previous configuration, that is to say : RAAT link with the BLUESOUND Node 2i configured in fixed volume, then optical link with the left speaker. And now it's day and night. I immediately regained the qualities that convinced me when I bought these speakers in the first place. I would like to make it clear that the difference is not subtle, in my opinion, but really noticeable.As proof of this, in A/B testing, even my girlfriend, who is not an audiophile, immediately distinguishes a difference.

It's quite a pity in the sense that the update concerning me was precisely motivated by the native compatibility with ROON, which would have allowed me to finally directly manage the volume level in the application, and not on the speakers themselves. But the price to pay for such a comfort is far too high, and I come back to my configuration with a previous BLUESOUND player (with in addition the stability problems evoked a little everywhere on this forum concerning the mute of the speakers during a change of source, the automatic non-commutating on the optical input when a signal appears on it, or the random disappearance of one of the Phantom (RJ45 link / never had this problem in DOS1) requiring a reboot to get it back to normal.
This is a double post but this thread is indeed more interesting

DOS 2 can't decode MQA.
It's seems to me Roon is reencoding the source to make it compatible with the Phantom.
You should try with a non MQA flac of 24/96 or 24/192

check this for samples :

http://www.2l.no/hires/
Please excuse my poor reputation
Please excuse my poor reputation