Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAAT vs Upnp
(02-Feb-2021, 14:11)borisy Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 13:36)alandbush Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 08:05)Bean86 Wrote: I just updated to 1.12.3
Out of the box the Devialet are setup in Roon only as 'Renderer' and Roon down samples the output to 24/48kHz.

Whent into the advanced settings of the Speakers within Roon and switched the Phantoms to 'decoder and render' now no down sampling is apparent.

I don't have equipment to test what actually exits the Speaker[Image: 853d1eee6790f444d99fee46de267a63.jpg][Image: 51cc9bd7b065127fde8ca56486e1bdef.jpg]

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Renderer'
- Roon performs first unfold, I.e. 48kHz to 96kHz and MQA rendering information is retained
- Phantom down samples to 48kHz

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Decoder and Renderer'
- Roon performs no re-sampling, I.e. the 48kHz audio is passed to Phantom
- Phantom performs no re-sampling

Phantom has no MQA capability and to avoid confusion, should perhaps be set to 'No MQA support'.
- Roon performs first unfold, but importantly does not retain any MQA rendering information

For more information check out the Roon KB

Set to Renderer and turn off the enable MQA core decoder under advanced setting. It won't downsample to 48khz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[Image: c60473c594f1a6ee38db5a14dc3090eb.jpg]

My Bluesound node 2i with MQA still sound better

I think most of you get to complicated talking about sample rates etc...
the question i think is about sound quality between RAAT and Upnp
which one sound better ?
(02-Feb-2021, 14:25)borisy Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 14:11)borisy Wrote: Set to Renderer and turn off the enable MQA core decoder under advanced setting. It won't downsample to 48khz.

The MQA core decoder performs the MQA unfold.  Disabling it results in no unfold.
It is similar to 'Decode and Renderer'
(02-Feb-2021, 14:25)borisy Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 14:11)borisy Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 13:36)alandbush Wrote: When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Renderer'
- Roon performs first unfold, I.e. 48kHz to 96kHz and MQA rendering information is retained

When the Phantom MQA capability is set to 'Decoder and Renderer'

Phantom has no MQA capability and to avoid confusion, should perhaps be set to 'No MQA support'.
- Roon performs first unfold, but importantly does not retain any MQA rendering information

For more information check out the Roon KB

Set to Renderer and turn off the enable MQA core decoder under advanced setting. It won't downsample to 48khz

Yes, I agree  Big Grin
Can someone tell the difference between upnp 24/96 and RAAT 24/96 ?
Golds
(02-Feb-2021, 22:08)The source Wrote: Can someone tell the difference between upnp 24/96 and RAAT 24/96 ?

Here's an explanation from the Roon forum. 
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/raat-an...rship/6915
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
@ragwo
Thanks...i know how RAAT works.
But do you really can hear the difference?
Have you tried to examine the same file on both and disconnect yourself from the scientific explanation of RAAT and really listen to the differences?
Golds
As much as I love the Roon interface, Audirvana is simply superior in sound quality via ethernet UPnP, I dont think its even comparable. Another enormous advantage of Audirvana is the possibility of using VST plugins, I have DSP equalization plugin that works incredibly well. In short, for the time being I'm sticking with UPnP Audirvana and hope that the 4.0 has an amazing UI that rivals Roon.
I have used both Roon and Audirvana and tend to agree that Audirvana can sound better but most of the music I listen to not as hi-res such that it would make a difference most of time. Additionally, Roon has a much slicker interface in my experience. As such, roon tends to be used more often but when I want the best from the phantoms, I use Audirvana.