Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace Mac mini with another Ethernet source-what?
(04-Nov-2017, 23:02)thumb5 Wrote:
(04-Nov-2017, 22:44)ICUDoc Wrote:
(04-Nov-2017, 22:11)midi Wrote: But don´t forget: Roon + Air isn´t free of bugs...

Do you think it is more stable running Rock on a dedicated mini PC than on a Mac mini? Is it stable then?

I'd say it's dangerous to try to generalise!  For what it's worth, though, Roon/AIR is rock solid on my Mac Mini.  I get the impression from reports here and on the Roon forum that Roon/AIR is generally less prone to problems than Devialet's AIR "virtual sound card" driver.  Then again the latter still works well on my other Mac too.

Roon/Air is much better than Devialet´s Air, but on my system (mac mini running only Roon Core) it is not complete free of bugs. Sometimes I have short dropouts (via Ethernet). So for me it´s also not perfect.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(04-Nov-2017, 23:57)audio_engr Wrote:
(04-Nov-2017, 20:43)Amelot75 Wrote: Nativ Vita is working currently on Roon end point requirement and Roon is not available. No MQA for 1599$.

Could you please elaborate more on this " Nativ Vita is working on Roon end point requirement "  ?

I'm a bit of a newbie on this ...  Smile

You would need also a machine running ROON Core (for example a mac mini or Intel NUC) if you want to use ROON with the Native Sound Vita. But you could also use the Vita as a standalone streamer with the Native Sound OS (without ROON and without a ROON Core machine).

The Vita is one of the rare devices with Apple Music (and many other platforms) implemented.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(05-Nov-2017, 00:57)midi Wrote:
(04-Nov-2017, 23:57)audio_engr Wrote:
(04-Nov-2017, 20:43)Amelot75 Wrote: Nativ Vita is working currently on Roon end point requirement and Roon is not available. No MQA for 1599$.

Could you please elaborate more on this " Nativ Vita is working on Roon end point requirement "  ?

I'm a bit of a newbie on this ...  Smile

You would need also a machine running ROON Core (for example a mac mini or Intel NUC) if you want to use ROON with the Native Sound Vita. But you could also use the Vita as a standalone streamer with the Native Sound OS (without ROON and without a ROON Core machine).

The Vita is one of the rare devices with Apple Music (and many other platforms) implemented.

Many thanks for your comments & suggestions but let me try and understand it better ... 

Presently, I use my Macbook Air running Roon core and a 4TB External Hard drive formatted for macOS connected to my Macbook Air thru Thunderbolt. My music files are ALAC and they could be used either thru iTunes OR Roon core. The Macbook Air connects to my D400 via ethernet using Roon-Air. 

1. I wish to replace my Macbook Air with Nativ VITA. I would like to attach my 4TB External Hard drive to the VITA using USB (but this External Hard drive is formatted with macOS). The External Hard drive has both Thunderbolt & USB.   
Is this possible ?

2. Next, using the VITA, I would connect to my D400 using AES/XLR. 

3. If 1 & 2 are possible, what would be my limitations using this VITA system over the Macbook Air system that I'm presently running ?

P.S. I just received a mail from Nativ marketing that they are offering the VITA with $500 discount from their $1,599 price.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
If you're happy with the way you're using your Mac mini at the moment Doc, I would look into a mini with more power. Mine, 2.5GHz. i5 with 16 GB (maybe a bit too much) memory hasn't let me down once. I have a large library and when I first set Roon up it was continuously working on the library so I got some drop-outs then but since that was done I'm all good.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(05-Nov-2017, 08:00)Pim van Vliet Wrote: If you're happy with the way you're using your Mac mini at the moment Doc, I would look into a mini with more power. Mine, 2.5GHz. i5 with 16 GB (maybe a bit too much) memory hasn't let me down once. I have a large library and when I first set Roon up it was continuously working on the library so I got some drop-outs then but since that was done I'm all good.

+ 1   ... 

question : what's the next level from this ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Hello, a few weeks ago my dealer received the ELAC Discovery for a long time trial. The Discovery Music Server can also stream in multiple zones. Three outputs are available, one digital pair (optical and coaxial) plus two RCA outputs. If you dig deeper into the Roon Essentials app, you can assign each output an identical or different stream. There is also the AirPlay option on top - plus the integration of the Tidal streaming service.
The Discovery costs 1100 € incl. License for SW essentials, the whole set has left a very good impression. The SQ was ok, as well as the operation of the app!
https://www.elac.de/series/discovery-music-server/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
This thread can now also be combined with the on-going discussions on :

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3853