Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Core Infinity board
(17-Oct-2017, 19:22)PhilP Wrote: Spec looks pretty good but I hope it will be possible to completely disable PLC functionality. IMHO there should be no place for it in high end audio.

???

Why is the presence of a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) antithetical to high-end audio?
(18-Oct-2017, 05:13)watchnerd Wrote:
(17-Oct-2017, 19:22)PhilP Wrote: Spec looks pretty good but I hope it will be possible to completely disable PLC functionality.  IMHO there should be no place for it in high end audio.

???

Why is the presence of a Programmable Logic Controller  (PLC) antithetical to high-end audio?

I suppose PLC = Power-line communication.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

But where is Roon RAAT support and digital room correction? I don't see them on the feature list. Very disappointing Sad
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(18-Oct-2017, 05:47)petrik Wrote:
(18-Oct-2017, 05:13)watchnerd Wrote:
(17-Oct-2017, 19:22)PhilP Wrote: Spec looks pretty good but I hope it will be possible to completely disable PLC functionality.  IMHO there should be no place for it in high end audio.

???

Why is the presence of a Programmable Logic Controller  (PLC) antithetical to high-end audio?

I suppose PLC = Power-line communication.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

But where is Roon RAAT support and digital room correction? I don't see them on the feature list. Very disappointing Sad

Yeah, no, that's Programmable Logic Chip set for sure.

As for lack of mention of RAAT, I 100% agree. I can set up a Raspberyy Pi Roon Endpoint for <$100. No reason that shouldn't be there. It's just free Linux software.

As for DRC, or at least a convolution engine, I'm hoping that's what the new DSP is for. But, yes, no mention...
They are saying clearly "PLC 500Mbps HomePlug AV2", which is referring to a power-line communication.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...tober-17th
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(18-Oct-2017, 06:02)petrik Wrote: They are saying clearly "PLC 500Mbps HomePlug AV2", which is referring to a power-line communication.

Ugh, really? Wow, I stand corrected.

That's a really weird feature to include in a product that already has Ethernet and wifi (both of which are more than fast enough for audio)....
(18-Oct-2017, 06:13)watchnerd Wrote:
(18-Oct-2017, 06:02)petrik Wrote: They are saying clearly "PLC 500Mbps HomePlug AV2", which is referring to a power-line communication.

Ugh, really?  Wow, I stand corrected.

That's a really weird feature to include in a product that already has Ethernet and wifi (both of which are more than fast enough for audio)....

It's not at all weird when you consider that it might enable integration with Phantoms, which already have power-line communication built in.

Whether or not it's desirable (from a sound quality point of view) is debatable, as always.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Oct-2017, 07:14)thumb5 Wrote:
(18-Oct-2017, 06:13)watchnerd Wrote:

Ugh, really?  Wow, I stand corrected.

It's not at all weird when you consider that it might enable integration with Phantoms, which already have power-line communication built in.

Whether or not it's desirable (from a sound quality point of view) is debatable, as always.

Yes and even without Phantom integration, if this PLC function can connect to my Devolo PLC encrypted network, it would allow me to get rid of the plug I’m using currently to connect my D220. 

As per the impact on SQ, I have never perceived any negative impact, and I’m of the opinion that with products thay have properly designed PSUs, which is explicitly the case of the pro version which is mentioning PLC compatibility, SQ is not a problem. 

Jean-Marie
PS: as per my signature you can see that my D220 pro and my D110 before are/we’re fed by PLC.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Has anyone noticed that on none of the pictures of the new board there's a sign of the antenna posted elsewhere on this forum? I wonder if that was someone's DIY project. It certainly didn't look like a factory installation to me with the scratch marks all over it
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Olivier, from Devialet, has made a response on the Core Infinity web page:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...5000275585

As follows:

“Hello,
Thank you for your support and feedbacks. Everyone here at Devialet is very excited with this Expert Pro revolution and we want to share this journey with you.
Qobuz and Tidal will not be part of this initial software release but they are in our roadmap for the coming months, along with web radios, Bluetooth and more.
Your Expert Pro will feature AirPlay 2 in the future. Devialet has been highlighted by Apple at the WWDC as a partner for AirPlay 2 integration, but specifications are not final yet. We will, of course, need to implement and test Apple’s new protocol before making it available to your Expert Pro.
Our bit-perfect proprietary protocol AIR will be available in the Nov. 7th release.
And for those of you who use and love the “Roon + Expert Pro” integration, as I do, it will keep on working, only better.

We have more up our sleeves, stay tuned!”

At last some (fairly) meaningful communication Exclamation.

David 
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(18-Oct-2017, 07:30)Jean-Marie Wrote: Yes and even without  Phantom integration, if this PLC function can connect to my Devolo PLC encrypted network, it would allow me to get rid of the plug I’m using currently to connect my D220. 

As per the impact on SQ, I have never perceived any negative impact, and I’m of the opinion that with products thay have properly designed PSUs, which is explicitly the case of the pro version which is mentioning PLC compatibility, SQ is not a problem. 

Jean-Marie
PS: as per my signature you can see that my D220 pro and my D110 before are/we’re fed by PLC.

My experience with PLCs goes back to my time with Naim. For anyone who's interested there are countless posts on the Naim Forum from users who had issues and responses from Naim tech support who commented that they had received numerous calls from customers with various issues that were resolved by replacing PLCs with hard wired Ethernet.  

There are many objections to PLCs. From a hi-fi PoV probably the most important is that they inject noise into the mains (not just from their PSUs but also the transmission signal itself) which can then negatively impact SQ.  

Perhaps the mains filtering in Expert Pros is more effective than that in Naim pre-amps which is why you are able to use PLCs successfully?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)