Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
(20-Jan-2018, 15:18)midi Wrote:
(20-Jan-2018, 10:07)Axel Wrote: I’ve been conducting an experiment this morning, comparing SQ when playing 24/192 files via Roon Air Ethernet direct from the NAS, then playing the same file at the same volume via USB>Mutec>AES/EBU.
And the result? Too close to call. In a blind test there would be no way I could distinguish between the two.

A few days ago, I indicated in the forum that I have doubts about whether one would really hear differences with and without the Mutec in a blind test. I was immediately approached by Mutec fans. That's why your determination is brave  Big Grin
I can only go by what my ears tell me. Perhaps, to field any flack, I should have included the caveat: my ears, my system, my room. YMMV.  Big Grin
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
No flack to @Axel from me, I believe him!

There is one thing to keep in mind here though, the Mutec is not a source as such, and it is transparent to whatever you feed it with. I found Roon AIR to be close to the m/R / Mutec, others have found improvements over the mR feeding the Mutec from a sMS-200Ultra. So it would not surprise me if AIR nudged ahead of a Mutec fed from a NAS, it's hard to say. Plus, maybe when I have tried CI Board powered Roon AIR, I might be changing my own views also. It's fair to say that AIR is pretty decent these days, you need something very good to beat it.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
If AIR streaming (in my case Roon) is that much improved with the CI installed as @Axel reports I'd gladly dump mR/Mutec. The only comparison I can do today is on my 250 Pro without CI. In this setting the mR/Mutec->AES is a fair bit better than AIR. I'll most likely send my amp to Paris for CI installation next week so I can soon listen to the difference myself. The Roon/Devialet integration and functionality is just wonderful so I'll be happy if the CI sounds better.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
That´s why I decided to improve only the source and bought an INNUOS. I hope this was the right decision.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
@Axeland @ogs If you decide to sell the Mutec, please drop me a PM. If the price is right I will jump on it (or them even). 

Yesterday a friend of mine brought over two more MC3+USBs and it was just totally crazy. All were clocked from the Ref10 and sounded just absolutely amazing. We were both speechless. Mine is gutted and I used an Uptone JS-2 to power it, the other two had their original SMPS. Clock cables were cheap Mogami and my also not too expensive Oyaide. I wish we could somehow "post sounds" here. At least I post a picture  Shy

Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(20-Jan-2018, 21:39)midi Wrote: That´s why I decided to improve only the source and bought an INNUOS. I hope this was the right decision.

I just had a look at their line up. Even their top of the line server only has USB or Ethernet outputs. So my question to you is how are you planning to connect it up and, once you've run it for a while, how does it stack up to Roon / AIR?

Edit: Just dug a bit deeper and found all but the base model have dual Ultra Low Noise Ethernet ports so you could possibly connect one to your router for the rest of the house and one straight to the Devialet. That should increase the SQ of AIR, IF, and that's a big IF, it works that way.

Looking forward to your findings @midi
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Thanks @zdenes I'll remember that if I decide to retire my Mutec. So three MC3s in a chain improves sound a lot? How important do you think the REF10 is here? Did you try without REF10?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks for posting @zdenes .  It reminds me of the old joke:  Questioner:  Why the hell are you running three MC3+USBs?  Response: I didn't have enough cables to connect the fourth one....  

@ogs - I too would be interested in zdenes response to your queries.  However, a while ago there were some posters on Computer Audiophile were experimenting with multiple MC3+USBs.  (Before the days of the REF10) The ultimate conclusion was that two was better than one and three were better than two.  Three appeared to be as far as you would want to go, no conclusive gains could be found running four units.  (Which is a relief, imagine if things kept getting better up to 20 Mutecs or something.....)  One point to note, zdenes is tunning a D800.  From my experience the margin between AIR and a Mutec via AES/EBU is greater on the D800, primarily because AIR performs better on the Pro.  It is perhaps also worth noting that @SwissBear is running a SOtM sMS-200Ultra / tXUSBultra / Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 set up with his O'da (now CI 1000Pro).  I can't speak for Swissbear, but from what he has written elsewhere it looks like he is getting exceptionally good results with this set-up.  @Sharone is running a very interesting Melco N1ZH2 / Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 set up into a 440Pro also.  @Sharone was kindly offering to do a Melco / Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 versus CI Board comparison, but I don't think has upgraded to CI yet, we will have to be patient!  I have heard the Melco N1ZH on it's own with a Devialet, and it is a fine performer, I suspect adding the Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 to this would be exceptional.

Oh, and if anyone is selling a MC3+USB, I too might be interested.  @zdenes did ask first though, so it would be fair enough if you give him first refusal! Shy  This is perhaps one positive for the Mutec MC3+USB, there is a healthy second-hand demand at the moment.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Jan-2018, 23:57)Pim Wrote:
(20-Jan-2018, 21:39)midi Wrote: That´s why I decided to improve only the source and bought an INNUOS. I hope this was the right decision.

I just had a look at their line up. Even their top of the line server only has USB or Ethernet outputs. So my question to you is how are you planning to connect it up and, once you've run it for a while, how does it stack up to Roon / AIR?

Edit: Just dug a bit deeper and found all but the base model have dual Ultra Low Noise Ethernet ports so you could possibly connect one to your router for the rest of the house and one straight to the Devialet. That should increase the SQ of AIR, IF, and that's a big IF, it works that way.

Looking forward to your findings @midi

Yes, the INNUOS only has USB/Ethernet outputs. But you can use the INNUOS as a ROON core/server (yes core !) or bridge over the network.

I want to use it first via USB on my Expert CI (with a new better USB performance) and iPeng. INNUOS is recommending this connection.

For the moment I am not planning to run it with ROON (my license is running out), even if it would be attractive to use the INNUOS as a ROON core. I would like to go with Qobuz - this isn´t possible with ROON.

You can also use the INNUOS as an UPnP device in the network, with an UPnP app. I want to use this to play music to my Phantoms in the system. The problem is, that there is no perfect UPnP app for this (nothing with Qobuz integration). Without an app it isn´t possible to play music, because the Devialet´s don´t show the INNUOS as an UPnP device.

Third it´s possible to use the INNUOS as Sonos library. I want to use this for my kids and their Sonos devices.

It is possible to use all this three ways simultaneously - I think this is great.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(21-Jan-2018, 12:14)Confused Wrote: Thanks for posting @zdenes .  It reminds me of the old joke:  Questioner:  Why the hell are you running three MC3+USBs?  Response: I didn't have enough cables to connect the fourth one....  

@ogs - I too would be interested in zdenes response to your queries.  However, a while ago there were some posters on Computer Audiophile were experimenting with multiple MC3+USBs.  (Before the days of the REF10)  The ultimate conclusion was that two was better than one and three were better than two.  Three appeared to be as far as you would want to go, no conclusive gains could be found running four units.  (Which is a relief, imagine if things kept getting better up to 20 Mutecs or something.....)  One point to note, zdenes is tunning a D800.  From my experience the margin between AIR and a Mutec via AES/EBU is greater on the D800, primarily because AIR performs better on the Pro.  It is perhaps also worth noting that @SwissBear is running a SOtM sMS-200Ultra / tXUSBultra / Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 set up with his O'da (now CI 1000Pro).  I can't speak for Swissbear, but from what he has written elsewhere it looks like he is getting exceptionally good results with this set-up.  @Sharone is running a very interesting Melco N1ZH2 / Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 set up into a 440Pro also.  @Sharone was kindly offering to do a Melco / Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 versus CI Board comparison, but I don't think has upgraded to CI yet, we will have to be patient!  I have heard the Melco N1ZH on it's own with a Devialet, and it is a fine performer, I suspect adding the Mutec MC3+USB / REF10 to this would be exceptional.

Oh, and if anyone is selling a MC3+USB, I too might be interested.  @zdenes did ask first though, so it would be fair enough if you give him first refusal! Shy  This is perhaps one positive for the Mutec MC3+USB, there is a healthy second-hand demand at the moment.....

Wow! Sounds like I should give mine another go - it has been sitting unused for months because I can't find a neat place to put it!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire