Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
(21-Jan-2018, 15:57)midi Wrote:
(20-Jan-2018, 23:57)Pim Wrote:
(20-Jan-2018, 21:39)midi Wrote: That´s why I decided to improve only the source and bought an INNUOS. I hope this was the right decision.

I just had a look at their line up. Even their top of the line server only has USB or Ethernet outputs. So my question to you is how are you planning to connect it up and, once you've run it for a while, how does it stack up to Roon / AIR?

Edit: Just dug a bit deeper and found all but the base model have dual Ultra Low Noise Ethernet ports so you could possibly connect one to your router for the rest of the house and one straight to the Devialet. That should increase the SQ of AIR, IF, and that's a big IF, it works that way.

Looking forward to your findings @midi

Yes, the INNUOS only has USB/Ethernet outputs. But you can use the INNUOS as a ROON core/server (yes core !) or bridge over the network.

I want to use it first via USB on my Expert CI (with a new better USB performance) and iPeng. INNUOS is recommending this connection.

For the moment I am not planning to run it with ROON (my license is running out), even if it would be attractive to use the INNUOS as a ROON core. I would like to go with Qobuz - this isn´t possible with ROON.

You can also use the INNUOS as an UPnP device in the network, with an UPnP app. I want to use this to play music to my Phantoms in the system. The problem is, that there is no perfect UPnP app for this (nothing with Qobuz integration). Without an app it isn´t possible to play music, because the Devialet´s don´t show the INNUOS as an UPnP device.

Third it´s possible to use the INNUOS as Sonos library. I want to use this for my kids and their Sonos devices.

It is possible to use all this three ways simultaneously - I think this is great.

I was auditioning a Zenith II over the holidays and hopefully mine will arrive next week. The demo unit had Roon installed but I also used iPeng on my old iPad (which does not work with the Roon remote app) and found to function well too. Using Roon with my phone worked but I was not convinced that investing in Roon gives me any real benefit.
I was using USB too (D250 pro CI) but I am still interested to know how ethernet would work and sound but I was very satisfied with the sound quality of the USB connection.
I am using Spotify and Spotify connect via WiFi streaming direct to my expert sounded quite better than having the Innuos in between.
@Sound Of Music, did you have to do anything specific for Spotify connect to work? For me, Roon AIR works fine, but I can't see Devialet as Spotify connect device. I can see my Marantz processor as one of the available device in the list.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
@ogs and @Confused , I will answer the question and write a little bit longer about the listening session with the three MC3+USBs shortly but I will do it in the MC3 thread as that would be too much off topic here as I don't even have the CI board that this topic is about.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(21-Jan-2018, 19:25)sam1000 Wrote: @Sound Of Music, did you have to do anything specific for Spotify connect to work? For me, Roon AIR works fine, but I can't see Devialet as Spotify connect device. I can see my Marantz processor as one of the available device in the list.

After establishing wifi to my WLAN (Configurator setting) I just select Spotify in the input selector on the remote and open Spotify on my phone, iPad or MacBook and click on connect to devices (Spotify has to be selected on the expert, OS2.2). That works only with a Spotify subscription. I like the interface on my Macbook best (when connected there is a green bar at the bottom of the page) but a smaller device is more handy.
(21-Jan-2018, 19:13)Music or sound Wrote:
(21-Jan-2018, 15:57)midi Wrote:
(20-Jan-2018, 23:57)Pim Wrote: I just had a look at their line up. Even their top of the line server only has USB or Ethernet outputs. So my question to you is how are you planning to connect it up and, once you've run it for a while, how does it stack up to Roon / AIR?

Edit: Just dug a bit deeper and found all but the base model have dual Ultra Low Noise Ethernet ports so you could possibly connect one to your router for the rest of the house and one straight to the Devialet. That should increase the SQ of AIR, IF, and that's a big IF, it works that way.

Looking forward to your findings @midi

Yes, the INNUOS only has USB/Ethernet outputs. But you can use the INNUOS as a ROON core/server (yes core !) or bridge over the network.

I want to use it first via USB on my Expert CI (with a new better USB performance) and iPeng. INNUOS is recommending this connection.

For the moment I am not planning to run it with ROON (my license is running out), even if it would be attractive to use the INNUOS as a ROON core. I would like to go with Qobuz - this isn´t possible with ROON.

You can also use the INNUOS as an UPnP device in the network, with an UPnP app. I want to use this to play music to my Phantoms in the system. The problem is, that there is no perfect UPnP app for this (nothing with Qobuz integration). Without an app it isn´t possible to play music, because the Devialet´s don´t show the INNUOS as an UPnP device.

Third it´s possible to use the INNUOS as Sonos library. I want to use this for my kids and their Sonos devices.

It is possible to use all this three ways simultaneously - I think this is great.

I was auditioning a Zenith II over the holidays and hopefully mine will arrive next week. The demo unit had Roon installed but I also used iPeng on my old iPad (which does not work with the Roon remote app) and found to function well too. Using Roon with my phone worked but I was not convinced that investing in Roon gives me any real benefit.
I was using USB too (D250 pro CI) but I am still interested to know how ethernet would work and sound but I was very satisfied with the sound quality of the USB connection.
I am using Spotify and Spotify connect via WiFi streaming direct to my expert sounded quite better than having the Innuos in between.

Mmmhhh. Using Spotify via Wifi direct streaming sounded "quite better" than with the INNUOS and iPeng via USB ?

If this would be the same with Qobuz Sublime+/Tidal and the INNUOS/iPeng via USB, I would be unsure. I want to use one system, one app and with one signal way. I don´t want to use iPeng/USB for streaming my library and WLAN for a streaming service. I remember a INNUOS review, there was the mention also the streaming services are sounding very good via USB.

Did you tested other streaming services (with better SQ and resolution) than Spotify ?

If this is your mention, what is the reason for you to buy the INNUOS ?
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
I only tried Spotify connect as it is presently the only one to work direct with a wifi router. The computer/ipad/phone serves only UI function. One can completely shut down down the computer once an album is started and it will play to the end of the album (I did not try a playlist).
Spotify is only 320mp3 and therefore limited sound quality wise but it was definitely better sounding when having nothing else in the chain.
I hope that the same path will be possible in the future with Qobuz etc. and at 16/44.1 but I guess its waiting for Devialet. I hope that higher streaming rates can equally well handled by the CI wifi.
I still listen to CDs but through the Innuos is the first time rips sounded much better than my transport and many albums in my collection I can not find (yet) through streaming. I will also continue to get High Res downloads and think through the Innuos I will get the best sound quality. I am not very positive that streaming High res will be something I am interested in especially if it is dominated by MQA.
I signed up to beta program and tested Spotify Connect "direct" over weekend. While implementation is still having quirks (problem with buffering resolved by D220 restarts, slow operations at times, problems with initial connection between D220 and iPhone) the sound quality was much better, in my ears, than from Spotify on Raspberry Pi3 (with HiFiberry Digi+ over Coax) or Spotify on Mac (over Devialet Air). Much surprised, I really enjoyed it.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(22-Jan-2018, 18:12)maxijazz Wrote: I signed up to beta program and tested Spotify Connect "direct" over weekend. While implementation is still having quirks (problem with buffering resolved by D220 restarts, slow operations at times, problems with initial connection between D220 and iPhone) the sound quality was much better, in my ears, than from Spotify on Raspberry Pi3 (with HiFiberry Digi+ over Coax) or Spotify on Mac (over Devialet Air). Much surprised, I really enjoyed it.

Two people isn't much of a sample but if it's true that Spotify sounds better direct then there's a good chance Tidal will too (once they get that going). That's good news.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Jan-2018, 22:27)Pim Wrote:
(22-Jan-2018, 18:12)maxijazz Wrote: I signed up to beta program and tested Spotify Connect "direct" over weekend. While implementation is still having quirks (problem with buffering resolved by D220 restarts, slow operations at times, problems with initial connection between D220 and iPhone) the sound quality was much better, in my ears, than from Spotify on Raspberry Pi3 (with HiFiberry Digi+ over Coax) or Spotify on Mac (over Devialet Air). Much surprised, I really enjoyed it.

Two people isn't much of a sample but if it's true that Spotify sounds better direct then there's a good chance Tidal will too (once they get that going). That's good news.

I also signed up for Spotify premium to test Spotify connect premium. I am not a Spotify fan, but after some test, I must say that this would be a great solution, simple and fast. Working with the Experts and the Phantoms. Easy switching. For the moment I can‘t say anything to the SQ, but comfort is great.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
There are rumors that Spotify will stream 16/44.1 this year and it would be interesting how these streaming (Spotify, Qobuz Tidal etc) services will sound at that rate compared to CD rips or via CD transport.