Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
I have a question.

The CI board has 1Gb of RAM. I always assumed that the RAM would be used for asynchronous playback. Given that you can fit a whole CD into 1Gb it seems a bit over the top.

Has anyone found that the CI board actually uses any of that RAM? Has anyone pulled the Ethernet cable out whilst playing to see if the music continues like The Confused One has done in the past? I'm just curious whether this new board has a few more tricks up its shiny sleeve.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(05-Feb-2018, 08:18)Pim Wrote: I have a question.

The CI board has 1Gb of RAM. I always assumed that the RAM would be used for asynchronous playback. Given that you can fit a whole CD into 1Gb it seems a bit over the top.

Has anyone found that the CI board actually uses any of that RAM? Has anyone pulled the Ethernet cable out whilst playing to see if the music continues like The Confused One has done in the past? I'm just curious whether this new board has a few more tricks up its shiny sleeve.

Given that I suspect this CI board do be an embedded Linux based computer, I don't find 1GB an outrageous amount of RAM by todays standards.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Agree with Jean-Marie. It is actually not very much at all. On the other hand the microRendu also has 1GB RAM
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Will core board be available for purchase for older devialets, d200... ?
@dr. sah:

You have to upgrade to 220 Expert Pro. No other way possible
Ok thanks.
I have installed the latest beta software today: https://devialet.com/_assets/DOS-2.2.0-b...12.2.6.zip
All is sounding good but before going deeper into listening impressions, I just want to report some issues detected:

Roon Air integration works well but music stoped ones before the end of a song when playing an album (All is one, Allan Taylor).
Air App 3.0.4 on my Mac shows My Devialet-ETH only, not My Devialet-Wifi anymore although I did not change the configuration.
In settings My Devialet appears 3 times as -ETH and ones as -WIFI whereas IP address shows for one -ETH only.
AirPlay works fine when playing from my Mac but neither on my MacBook Air nor on my iPhone or iPad. My Devialet just does not show up on those devices.
Spotify works fine on my iPhone to My Devialet and this shows that I am using my Devialet and iPhone in the same network via Wifi.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(11-Feb-2018, 16:30)blair.athol Wrote: I have installed the latest beta software today: https://devialet.com/_assets/DOS-2.2.0-b...12.2.6.zip
All is sounding good but before going deeper into listening impressions, I just want to report some issues detected:

Roon Air integration works well but music stoped ones before the end of a song when playing an album (All is one, Allan Taylor).
Air App 3.0.4 on my Mac shows My Devialet-ETH only, not My Devialet-Wifi anymore although I did not change the configuration.
In settings My Devialet appears 3 times as -ETH and ones as -WIFI whereas IP address shows for one -ETH only.
AirPlay works fine when playing from my Mac but neither on my MacBook Air nor on my iPhone or iPad. My Devialet just does not show up on those devices.
Spotify works fine on my iPhone to My Devialet and this shows that I am using my Devialet and iPhone in the same network via Wifi.
Please report your issues here: https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...bruary-5th

This thread is solely for listening impressions!
(12-Feb-2018, 08:12)markush Wrote:
(11-Feb-2018, 16:30)blair.athol Wrote: I have installed the latest beta software today: https://devialet.com/_assets/DOS-2.2.0-b...12.2.6.zip

Please report your issues here: https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...bruary-5th

This thread is solely for listening impressions!
Hi Markush,
I had reported my issues per mail to Devialet of course but I thought to share my first impressions of the beta software for all of us here since this thread is not only about listening impressions so far what I have read. Your link refers to the Devialet site and not to a new thread on devialet chat. Not sure if we need another specific thread for it...
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
I thought I would attempt to nudge this thread back to its core SQ topic. I had a little free time today so I tried a little SQ trial with the CI board. I set up a playlist on iTunes (running on a PC) and tried a direct head to head of CI board AirPlay versus Shairport (AirPlay Emulator that runs on Sonore products) mR / Mutec MC3+USB. So same computer, same music player software, same network, just a different way of delivering AirPlay to the Devialet.

A slightly strange result. CI AirPlay nominally sounds great, but there was something slightly disconcerting about the sound, although everything sounds crisp and much as it should, it somehow not that pleasant after a while, the words harsh and digital hash come to mind. Another thing, something a little odd was happening to the accuracy in sound staging, it was a little messy, with vocals that normally come from slightly to the right, sounding less clearly positioned and coming more from the right, I even did a quick left / right channel check to make sure the channels had not somehow been transposed, which they had not. Strange that I felt the need to check though! Versus the mR/Mutec, the treble was noticeably brighter too, a bit like the treble had been turned up +4dB or something. Overall, listening via Sharport / mR / Mutec was a far more pleasant experience.

That said, CI AirPlay was not all bad, the bass accuracy was excellent and dynamics were good, in fact so good some bass heavy sections of music actually sounded better via CI AirPlay than they did on the Shareport driven mR / Mutec. Bass accuracy is often equated to lack of jitter, so maybe those alleged clocks in the CI board are working their magic somewhere. It is certainly curious to me that this particular aspect of AirPlay's sonic presentation appeared to be absolutely top class.

A real mixed bag!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12