Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
My SQ impression of the CI board (streaming from JRiver via AIR): same as it was with the old one (which is to say - sounds pretty damn good!)
However, I've observed the following behavior with both FW 11.x and 12.x beta version:
if I play a number of tracks sequentially, there is complete silence after they finish (as it should be).
But if I then replay a track, or play a new one, when if finishes there is a click/static sound - not loud, but clearly audible.
This had not been the case with the old board. Has anyone else noticed this?
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
(18-Feb-2018, 17:09)AlexS Wrote: My SQ impression of the CI board (streaming from JRiver via AIR): same as it was with the old one (which is to say - sounds pretty damn good!)
However, I've observed the following behavior with both FW 11.x and 12.x beta version:
if I play a number of tracks sequentially, there is complete silence after they finish (as it should be).
But if I then replay a track, or play a new one, when if finishes there is a click/static sound - not loud, but clearly audible.

Hi Alex, I also noticed that. But only occurs with Tidal and Qobuz, not with streaming by Melco (via UPnP)!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Has anyone done any comparison on SQ between AIR and UPnP ? First experiments using Audirvana Plus suggest clearer bass with UPnP, but more confused trebble, especially on complex piano passages. See for example Perahia's new recording, Hammerklavier 1st mvt.

On the plus side, UPnP is simpler to use in practice, always works, compared to AIR where the Pro may not even be selectable in the menu bar, especially in multi-user configurations, each running their own copy of AIR.
(18-Feb-2018, 19:21)arcam Wrote: Has anyone done any comparison on SQ between AIR and UPnP ? First experiments using Audirvana Plus suggest clearer bass with UPnP, but more confused trebble, especially on complex piano passages. See for example Perahia's new recording, Hammerklavier 1st mvt.

On the plus side, UPnP is simpler to use in practice, always works, compared to AIR where the Pro may not even be selectable in the menu bar, especially in multi-user configurations, each running their own copy of AIR.

I will certainly try this when I get some free time.  One thing I would say is that your observations with UPnP are curiously similar to mine when trying AirPlay, see post#200 of this thread.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I tried UPnP yesterday with rather disappointing results:
1) As a renderer, Devialet does not support gapless playback - crucial with classical, where continuous music may be split into separate tracks.
2) I was also not able to fast forward a track - it'd just stop playing.
I used JRiver as a media server and control point (the latter via JRemote).
Has anyone else observed similar behavior with other servers and control points? I wonder if there is some incompatibility between JRiver and Devialet UPnP, or it's simply flawed.
Just as a friendly pointer, there is a thread that covers problems with core Infinity, see link. Admittedly the sound quality observations are a little thin on the ground at the moment. Perhaps we should be grateful for for he odd problem post to bump this thread back into prominence.?

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4725
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(01-Mar-2018, 23:36)Confused Wrote: Just as a friendly pointer, there is a thread that covers problems with core Infinity, see link.  Admittedly the sound quality observations are a little thin on the ground at the moment.  Perhaps we should be grateful for for he odd problem post to bump this thread back into prominence.?

Sorry, I've considered the lack of gapeless playback a sound impression...  Confused
(02-Mar-2018, 01:58)AlexS Wrote:
(01-Mar-2018, 23:36)Confused Wrote: Just as a friendly pointer, there is a thread that covers problems with core Infinity, see link.  Admittedly the sound quality observations are a little thin on the ground at the moment.  Perhaps we should be grateful for for he odd problem post to bump this thread back into prominence.?

Sorry, I've considered the lack of gapeless playback a sound impression...  Confused

Arguably it is! Shy   Actually, my comment was not aimed specifically at you Alex, in fact, you have been a fine contributor to this forum over the years and you are welcome to post in any of my threads whenever you think appropriate.  My post was just an effort to try to keep the forum reasonably organised.  (the term herding cats comes to mind) Confused
(18-Feb-2018, 17:09)AlexS Wrote: My SQ impression of the CI board (streaming from JRiver via AIR): same as it was with the old one (which is to say - sounds pretty damn good!)

Alex - yes. I'm sure i've got this same issue. Not happening all the time but i realise now this may vary depending on whether i'm listening to an album or individual tracks. I will try and replicate it tomorrow. This is from a Melco via USB

James

PS - CI board upgrade. Very pleased so far and another step up in SQ.

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass