Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D400 vs. 1000 Expert Pro in driving Martin Logan CLS
So, is there any wisdom in trying to run electrostatics with a D220? I mean, are we doomed from the start? Or does it depend on what electrostatic?

Thanks!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(31-Oct-2018, 19:40)LBameule Wrote: So, is there any wisdom in trying to run electrostatics with a D220? I mean, are we doomed from the start? Or does it depend on what electrostatic?

Thanks!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to know the answer. Two things come to mind
1) It depends on how "nasty" the speaker load is. In general, electrostats are hard to drive because their impedance can drop very low (sub 2 ohms in some cases)
2) It depends on how well Devialets perform when driving low impedance loads. There is no information on this provided by Devialet themselves. I haven't seen any third party measurements either (probably because I've not looked very hard)
(28-Oct-2018, 22:28)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Oct-2018, 17:39)srima Wrote: I’m weaning  myself off of Devialet. Next up to sell are my Phantoms. Again, nice product, but incredibly flaky software. Must of the time, it’s sitting idle because something doesn’t work.

Devialet has a lot of growing up to do. For starters, less aggressive advertising (best in blah blah) and more honest merchandise would be a good step.

If Devialet continue as they are - which despite some murmurs about change, they pretty much seem to be - that’s what they’ll be remembered for. An arrogant company, with innovative but over-hyped products with flaky software.

As soon as there’s just a bit more maturity in something like the Dutch & Dutch 8c (like a volume control), I’ll be out too.
Please report back with DUTCH & DUTCH 8C ! ,, man I heard they are super amazing !
Me and my brother both own a pair of D400. He has them hooked up on a pair of Magnepan 20.7 which the D400s drives with no problem. Maybe the CLS does impose a more difficult load, I dont know. I have a pair of Kefs 107.2 and although they can dip down towards 2ohm, I find it to be one of the most Beautiful soundsetup I have heard..Amazing control, clarity, resolution and the ability to draw me close to the Soul in the music... Ive had amps like Asr 2 emitter Excl, AVM 8.2, and they are awesome, but nowhere near as good as D400,
I dont belive Devialet amps are overhyped or anything, they are for the price one Amazing piece of tech marvel, but ofcourse, they wont or cant suite everyones need. Sanders Ive heard much good about, and they are made for low ohms loads, so if Devialet doesnt do it, then maybe Sanders will. Hope you succeed in finding the very best match to the exellent CLS
‘Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
I drive my ML Spires with a 250 Pro and they sound great. I did demo a 200 back in the day, but it just didn't work at all, flat and uninspiring.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I drove Quad ESL2905s with pre-pro D-Premier then 250 then 800 and it was perfectly ok
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
The CLS needs a lot of current to perform at it's best. I would think that a D800/D1000 would have worked much better with the CLS. I've owned Threshold/Pass Labs Class A and Class A/B amps, and would think that the large current reserve with those amps work help with driving the CLS. However, I can also report that the Devialet amps I own (D400 and Mono D-Premier) sounds significantly better than any other playback setup I've owned.

I would easily recommend Devialet to anyone for audition with the vast majority of speakers.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
(09-Feb-2019, 22:45)IanG-UK Wrote: I drove Quad ESL2905s with  pre-pro D-Premier then 250 then 800 and it was perfectly ok

Likewise, I currently drive my 2905s with a 140 PRO with no issues at all, in fact it's probably as good a sound overall as I've ever had in my 20'x16' lounge.

Cheers.....Dave
Hey. Switched my Phantoms gold to a pair of ML ESL 11s. You guys who have experience of MLs. Any speaker cables / brands you know work well with Electrostats? To give them some body...
Transducers: Martin Logan Electrostatic Master Series Impression 11 on Crystal Cable Special Series AC Cords 
Amplifier: Peachtree Nova 500 on Sine Nidas HC Power cord
Source: Tidal on PC I9-9900K 32GB RTX 2070 on Stealth Swift Power cord
Interconnects: Mytek USB Cord / Supra Cat 8 ethernet wire / Supra Speaker cables
In Ears: Sure SE846 / Empire LEGEND X

I'm in the Capital of Scandinavia, Stockholm
Chord Cable, HMS, TelluriumQ, AudioQuest, Shunyata will perform with electostats