Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEVIALET POWER AMP, Will there ever be a power amp...
I left Devialet for its all-in-one design, and while I loved the sound of my 220 Pro, and in favor of using other products that I love, I left the brand.. Sad

Someone believe that one day Devialet will delight us with an power amplifier using its Class D technology, to be able for example to use my DAC Chord Dave in it ... or they will never abandon their all-in-one "single box.." design from the EXPERT PRO line,  condemning us to never update the DAC o Streamer no matter how much they update their software ...

I appreciate your comments.... Big Grin

Mayol A.
In my city, the same agent sells the Chord DAC and also Devialet, so have listened to both there.

IMHO the Devialet wins hands down.

Was it in a particular configuration you were trying it?
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
chrisc Wrote:In my city, the same agent sells the Chord DAC and also Devialet, so have listened to both there. 

IMHO the Devialet wins hands down. 

Was it in a particular configuration you were trying it?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I enjoy my Gamut D200i setup, with D3i preamplifier powered by Dave DAC and streamer Bryston BPD-3, the set sounds better than Devialet in my opinion, Chord DACs in my opinion are better than the Devialet's (PCM1792 max limits 24 bit 192khz...) , despite that the Devi with a single box is a giant killer, it makes you not be able to update anything .. without going off the mark. If you had a Power Amplifier option you could use the DAC of your choice or your preferred preamp ... I am one of those who think that it does not matter what amplification technology is used Class, A / B, G, or D .. if it sounds good .
(11-Apr-2021, 18:19)Gomiki Wrote: Someone believe that one day Devialet will delight us with an power amplifier using its Class D technology

That is actually a fascinating thought! The block diagram for ADH shows that an analog signal is sent to the class A stage. With a high quality input stage replacing "Magic Wire" and "R" (current to voltage conversion) this might be possible! I doubt Devialet will do this though...

Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
The DAC is intimately part of the amplifier, and for what I understand it may not be possible to have an ADH amplifier without the tightly integrated DAC.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
You may be right about that @Jean-Marie The diagram I used in my post is ADH1 where Devialet used the Ti PCM1792 DAC chip. In ADH2 the DAC is possibly "built in" so it may be difficult to access the input..
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
A pure Class-D power amplifier from Devialet would be quite pointless IMHO. This is a quote from Stereophile's review of the D-Premier:

A very elegant design by Devialet. The "CTRL" block in the diagram represents the correction.
Devialetless!
The DAC is inherent in the way ADH works, so it would be needed for a single input amplifier with no volume control (which is all a power amp is) so it would be pointless to use it with another DAC, OTOH if my tests are anything to go by the Devialet DAC is transparent so not a loss, just pointless.
IMO the Devialet obsoletes playing around with loads of other equipment so is more suited to the music lover end of the enthusiast spectrum than to the equipment lover end.
I don't change kit often but go into any new purchase quite deeply since I know I am going to keep whatever I buy at least 10 years often more the Devialet is a still a keeper for me Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I personally think Devialet's main selling point IS the all in one device, based on what once was (and still is) a revolutionary design.
I came from a full Naim system (6+ boxes), plus Weiss DAC. Great sound but unbelievably hard to manage, a sea of cables and hard to spot an issue when there was one. And oftentimes there was. Plus the inevitable itch to upgrade.

One listen to the Devialet (at the dealer's) was enough for me.

Personally I don't even care for most of the recent extras (excluding the extra power & SAM).
I dislike Roon's selling contract and have no use for music by the kilo online services.

I hope they stay focused. Simplify if possible.
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
@Gomiki
I don't know if you are the first to mention this idea, but I'm not seeing any logical pathway to the Devialet power amp (only) idea. The whole point and drive behind the Expert and Pro series is the optimized and compact integration of all modern components into one box; a brilliant box, in my mind.

If audio is a hobby, where you like to swap components as if it were a model train set, then the Devialet package is not the right choice. Me personally, I was thrilled at the concept and execution; a whole suite of very high end components, in one beautiful box. Almost so compact that I didn't believe it could be true. But from my own Naim experience ( and I still like and admire Naim equipment) I found I could have it all, and without the external power supplies, expensive and fussy DIN cables and interconnects, and no UPnP... I hate UPnP.

Anyhow, I'm relieving my pre-Devialet nightmares, while awake, in public-sorry. Devialet is not just Class D, not just all-in-one, not just compact. If you moved on from Devialet for whatever reason, then that is great and I hope you have great fun playing with all the various bits. I'm not 'condemned' by any means. On the contrary, I'm freed from the searching and spending and box-swapping grind that is too easy to get seduced by.

I hope they never produce a stand alone power amp, or pre amp, or DAC. Only a Phantom-sized sub.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada