Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Expert Pro CI Documentation (Because Devialet Doesn't Document)
There's a lot that Devialet doesn't document about their Expert Pro CI units. This forum is the best information for most Devialet owners. Let's document what we know.

For example, Ethernet and WiFI now work differently on Expert Pro CI than they did on older Pro units. Where formerly one could use both Ethernet and WiFi (switching between them as with any other sources) now with the Expert Pro CI if an Ethernet cable is connected that automatically disables WiFi. Devialet knows about this and calls it a feature not a bug, although it removes a useful function from the previous units.

The Expert Pro CI support 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi and the backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n. The WiFi SSID (name) and password must be no longer than 30 characters and may not contain special characters (limited to a 30-character alphanumeric value). They're supposed to work on a WiFi network with SSID-broadcast disabled (hidden network), but mine don't (I'm fighting to get Devialet Support to resolve that).

What else hasn't Devialet documented that we should?
Resurrecting this 3-year old post as it hits a nerve with me

One cannot help comparing the Devialet with high-end Japanese audio equipment. A NAD T778 AVR costing about 3/5 as much as 220PPro CI and with many similar functions, programmable inputs and outputs, can resolve DSD 512 comes with menu-driven and searchable instruction files, with pictures, diagrams, examples and explicit explanations. It is also sorted into "For the beginner", "Enthusiast" and "Professional installer" with 22mb of text and pictures, 18 video files in 22 languages and a total of 1075 pages of instruction, if you add up all the sections. All this on a DVD and a USB memory stick

Working through this, everything described is easily translated to use of the AVR

With Devialet you are left to send an email or message to the head office and may just get a reply that answers some of your questions

I am quite sure that very few of Devialet's users are technically savvy and you cannot expect the installer to keep attending to real and imagined faults

Devialet said the request to disable wi-fi when an Ethernet cable is plugged in was at the request of Apple
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
Devialet is competent at some things, and incompetent at others. To be fair, so am I. Devialet created an innovative integrated amp and active speaker. The Expert amps remain the best-sounding integrated amps I've heard. The Phantom remains one of the smallest full-range speakers. However, Devialet seems unable to manage software development, documentation, or technical support. One of the things I used to be competent at was managing technical documentation projects. The best information I've found about my Devialet amps comes from this site (thanks all). My proposal was to use our competence to compensate for an area of Devialet's incompetence by creating the documentation they can't or won't. I'm willing to do some of the work, but will need a lot of help from this community.
Received another email from Paul at Devialet

A revelation

AIR does not operate under Windows 10. All the Windows 10 user can use is USB

In my case I connect a Lindemann Limetree Bridge to the Digital input. I don't really want ROON as was suggested by Drifter. I may get a Macbook again some time. The Limetree app on an iPad provides artwork. There is a 4Tb SSD with all the music on it. I find a simple solution works the best

Am always willing to assist with technical documentation, but it would have to be some specific areas and also checked by someone familiar with the product
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(18-Oct-2021, 15:33)chrisc Wrote: Received another email from Paul at Devialet

A revelation

AIR does not operate under Windows 10.  All the Windows 10 user can use is USB
It works OK for me in Win10, what is the issue?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Well, I could not get it to work and just relayed what Paul from Devialet told me.

To get AIR working, can you describe what you did please

ie:
Ethernet or wi-fi
DHCP or fixed IP address
Which media player did you use
What input did you select on the Devialet
I've had AIR working under Windows 10, but gave it up due to bugs surrounding files with different sample rates.
I now prefer DLNA/PnP... what could be better than the Expert hoovering up a file from Source and rendering to itself?
FYI: I used WiFi, fixed IP address (.220 of course!), playing to the "Air" input on my 220Pro CI from JRiver via the WASAPI Devialet Air sound device.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
After doing a search for “Devialet” on the JRiver forum, I ascertained the way to get a Windows 10 computer using JRiver 26 to connect to the amplifier. It managed 192KHz but not DSD.

I’ll copy and paste this solution in case someone else wants to try it.

A tiny difference between USB and Ethernet, I could not say whether one was any better than the other.

A Lindemann Limetree Bridge into the Digital input is still the best solution for me
(19-Oct-2021, 17:02)chrisc Wrote: Well, I could not get it to work and just relayed what Paul from Devialet told me.

To get AIR working, can you describe what you did please

ie:
Ethernet or wi-fi
DHCP or fixed IP address
Which media player did you use
What input did you select on the Devialet

I got AIR working on WIN10 as well (took me a lot of effort though)... [version in signature]
Ethernet (wi-fi was not sufficient at all)
DHCP
foobar
ETH input on Devialet
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(05-Dec-2018, 20:06)deviousalet Wrote: There's a lot that Devialet doesn't document about their Expert Pro CI units. This forum is the best information for most Devialet owners. Let's document what we know.

For example, Ethernet and WiFI now work differently on Expert Pro CI than they did on older Pro units. Where formerly one could use both Ethernet and WiFi (switching between them as with any other sources) now with the Expert Pro CI if an Ethernet cable is connected that automatically disables WiFi. Devialet knows about this and calls it a feature not a bug, although it removes a useful function from the previous units.

The Expert Pro CI support 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi and the backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n. The WiFi SSID (name) and password must be no longer than 30 characters and may not contain special characters (limited to a 30-character alphanumeric value). They're supposed to work on a WiFi network with SSID-broadcast disabled (hidden network), but mine don't (I'm fighting to get Devialet Support to resolve that).

What else hasn't Devialet documented that we should?

just a note on your comment regarding the WiFi password: mine contains special characters and works just fine on my 220 Pro CI (and worked just as fine before on my 120)
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France