Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DOS 2.9.0
(26-Feb-2020, 07:31)invictus005 Wrote: I don’t give a shit about people having stability issues, or crackles in some piano sounds. These last two firmwares and especially the latest one has seriously downgraded the sound quality of a $6000 flagship product. Devialet, you better seriously and quickly get your act together and correct this mess immediately. Or start refunding. Consider this a final warning.
If you want to warn Devialet, contact customer service. This forum has no affiliation with Devialet.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Update on my DOS2 experience.

After the initial pain of getting to DOS2 the system had been fairly stable. I had not needed a single re-setup since doing a factory reset after upgrading to DOS2.  I saw the sytem take at least one update to 2.85.  After that it seemed to have expected SQ but was not nearly as stable as Spark/DOS1, but functional in that it would not require a complete reset every time it was used. 

Had a run of 3 or 4 weeks where the Devialet gear only needed a restart about once a week and everything would come up and work well without any resets, incantantations or chicken bones needed.

Last night noticed one or both speakers were restarting several times. Heard a short start up or shut down not sure what sounds mean what any more... sound several times.  About every 2 or 3 minutes one or the other was making a start up or shut down sound.  The system was idle at that point and i was watching a movie so left it alone for a few hours until looking closer.  I noticed the right phantom and dialog were now running 2.9.  But the left phantom was still running 2.85.

Trying to check for updates produced either an update is available but then failed to connect to the speaker. with the direction to "pull the mains" and try again.
Intermittently it would tell me everything was up to date but checking in the app or the speakers web page shows 2.85. 
I suspect that was telling me everything is up to date when the trouble speaker was not fully booted up.
Went in circles 4 or 5 times like this and gave up.

Now today - the left speaker is a brick.  No sounds or reactions whatsoever.

I'm afraid to say/think -  if your app tells you to pull the mains it may be a bad move....

I've reported it to Customer Service.
Had an issue updating also when I updated. ( Didn't have a brick speaker though) have you tried holding down the button on the back of the speakers for a full 7 seconds (little longer even) until you hear clicking noise and you hear the speaker "come back" ( sounds like wind noises rushing ) do that to each speaker if you haven't already. Restart your phone or whatever you're using for the Devialet app. Then re-do the set up that finally got all my speakers to update. If bricked might not help of course.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
(26-Feb-2020, 07:31)invictus005 Wrote: Sound quality has gone to shit with DOS 2.9.0 on Phantom Golds. Migration to DOS 2 as well as every single firmware upgrade has altered the sound. This is annoying, but tolerable. So long as the actual sound quality remains as good or gets better.

DOS 2 reduced the impact of bass slightly, this was with 2.8.3. When 2.8.5 came out, a noticeable downgrade in sonic quality was apparent. Mostly in treble and upper midrange clarity.

2.9.0 has turned the speakers into a mess. There’s a serious lack of clarity in the treble and upper midrange. Coherency is no longer there. The treble used to be sharp, distinct, yet pleasant. The midrange clear and open with a perfect blend with the tweeter. The tweeter now sounds recessed (or at least part of its range is) and the midrange no longer sounds like it’s one continuous sound with the tweeter.

This is no good Devialet. If a new flagship Phantom Premier comes out, they can intentionally downgrade the sound of all other speakers to make the new one sound best.

I don’t give a shit about people having stability issues, or crackles in some piano sounds. These last two firmwares and especially the latest one has seriously downgraded the sound quality of a $6000 flagship product. Devialet, you better seriously and quickly get your act together and correct this mess immediately. Or start refunding. Consider this a final warning.

I agree with you invictus005, have you contacted Devialet support about this? Did they respond?