Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DOS2 Optical Direct Instructions
Hi Everyone,
Here are the instructions from Devialet to activate Optical Direct Mode in DOS2.   One crucial step is to make sure the Premiers are attached to your network via ethernet and that they obtain an ip address. 

Activation:
    • Option 1 : through the webpage
      • Once connected on the network via RJ45, while in Setup mode (i.e. 15 minutes after RTF or after a reboot if the product is not configured via Blaze) ⇒ Click on an activation button in the “Wizard” page
      • Sound design at activation
      • An “Optical Direct” section appears for advanced settings (“Configuration”, “AirPlay PIN” & “Wi-Fi” sections disappear) : 
        • Mono mix (default) Left / Right
        • Volume (see below)
      • If the 15 minutes period is over, one can either force the setup mode (3 single press on the back button) or reboot the speaker to enable the setup mode again.
    • Option 2 : 5 short press on the button during set-up mode only
      • Sound design when it enters in Optical Direct (same sound design as BT connection)
      • No LED on Phantom ⇒  sound design needed to understand it worked properly
    • Back buttons actions deactivated in Optical Direct:
      • 1 single = Status
      • 3 single = Re set-up
    • Back button UX activated in Optical Direct: 
      • factory reset (very long press 7 sec)
      • switch to standby (long press 2 sec)
      • wake up from standby (1 single press)
  • Deactivation
    • From the webpage : in “General settings” ⇒ Reset to factory ⇒ No Reset to factory sound design (as today)
    • On the product : very long press (7 seconds) ⇒ Reset to factory

Attached Files
.pdf   direct optical screenshot.pdf (Size: 141.52 KB / Downloads: 125)
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Hi,

Checked with one Reactor :

Latency  : 190 ms (measured with REW and SMAART with a RTA)
no 1ms or 10ms.....
So Direct mode for reactor seems to be useless, if latency is at 190ms, higher than with classical optical with latency set to 60ms
and for Reactor no menu after the switch for optical mode in WEB interface

And on you premiere 1ms ? 10ms ? or 58 ms ?

Regards,

Olivier
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
Hi. I opened a case with Devialet. It appears the instructions they provided aren't accurate.

@ofrappier So based on an email from Devialet, I was told that the premieres and reactors will have the same latency (<10ms). I'll let you know what I measure once I get my Classics working again.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Updated my first post with new instructions from Devialet. I also got my Classics upgraded to DOS2 and am simply blown away by the increase in fidelity and performance. Simply amazing! The challenge for me is whether I should proceed and upgrade all the others to optical direct mode. The Classics are in my bedroom and I had extra connections on my network switch to allow them to be attached via ethernet. My other Premiers are in parts of the house where I only ran an single ethernet cable.... :-(. I've asked them to see if they can allow Optical Direct Mode without the need for an Ethernet connection. Let's see what happens...
Hi Njaiswal,

i will try your instructions. But not easy, never found this activation button...in webpage

i will try. can you make screen copy ?

many thanks
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
[attachment=4284 Wrote:ofrappier pid='96245' dateline='1601720280']Hi Njaiswal,

i will try your instructions. But  not easy, never found this activation button...in webpage

i will try. can you make screen copy ?

many thanks

Hi,

I tried again but it didn't work. I never get "optical menu"

here is the process with screens :

RTF then :

then :

then :

and finally, no direct optical mode menu instead of AIRPLAY button :

Notes : i'm trying on Reactor 600

Did you manage on one of your Reactors  ?

Regards,

Olivier F.
Hi! So I haven't tried one of my reactor's yet, but on my Premiere the initial configuration page had an option for optical direct with a requirement that the connection type needs to be ethernet. Once I clicked on the optical direct button it went to configure itself and then presented the optical direct mode web interface.

Will post my results when I try the reactor later today.
It is clearly written in the release notes that the support is for Phantom Premier...
Oh. Just found this thread. A similar one here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-O...ode-How-to

Here are my findings from the other thread, hope it is not against the rules to cross-post:
1) The easiest way to set it up is, as mentioned earlier in this thread, thanks to @aryelevin , is to connect them via Ethernet, perform full reset, and go to the embedded web page.
2) Worked fine enough for me, good lipsync, even after disconnecting Ethernet cables! @gxcross I think you must have some other issue. Did you check out DOS 2.11.5, apparently just published? https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Release-...DOS-2-11-5 mentions "Improvements related to the direct optical mode"!
3) You need some way to reduce the volume, and the app does not recognize devices in direct optical mode :-( Did anyone try direct optical with a remote (old or new)? That would be awesome!
4) You can configure the channel (via the webpage), but for a stereo pair, you'll need some kind of a splitter. As mentioned, the app does not see the speakers any more, so you can not configure them in stereo via app!
5) You can't use any other source (AirPlay, Spotify Connect) any more! Not only it is direct optical, it is optical only! So, only makes sense if you use it exclusively for movies/TV source.
6) Finally, it only works on Premiers, not on Reactors. I am not surprised, the DOS 2.11 release notes clearly state "for Phantom Premier"! @ofrappier I think you should just accept that Big Grin
Hi,

No i don't accept that. no technical reason that Devialet don't open Direct optical mode for Reactors.

Jus Marketing money reason.

I will never buy another Devialet product now....

Unhappy,

bye bye Devialet

In Ethernet only mode, Reactors should reach 5ms or 10 ms not 60ms

60 ms is not good to play my Piano live....

Bye bye.... (Reactors could be good Studio monitors with lower Latency, But Devialet don't want to do that)

Regards,

O.