Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 stereo balance
Hello all!

I bought a pair of Phantoms on the day that DOS2 was released (before the price increase). I was waiting for the update because I did not want to buy the dialog.

Initially I was super happy with the speakers, but after listening for a while I noticed what is now known as the stereo sync issue (cathedral effect). Because one of the speakers was damaged (scratched), I had it replaced by the dealer. After extensive listening with the new speaker for a while, I noticed that the balance is not right. It sounds like one channel is louder than the other which causes a distubed stereo image. The problem is different than the stereo sync issue which sounded more like an echo.

Does anyone recognise this problem? I noticed that unplugging the speakers solves the problem for a while, but after some time the problem returns (random left/right speaker gets louder).

Thanks guys!
I think the cathedral effect is similar to the sync problem as I am experiencing both problems. Sometimes the signal moves to one speaker, like a singer walking from one side of the stage to the other and sometimes the bug just randomly enlarges the whole stage (which sometimes, especially with classic music makes you feel like being in a big concert hall). That is why I am wondering if people who are reporting a better sound quality with DOS2 actually just having this issue too but being not aware that this is not the correct stereo signal.
I hope that the patch, which hopefully comes out this week will really solve all the existing sync problems.
(18-Nov-2019, 14:08)Walzu Wrote: Hello all!

I bought a pair of Phantoms on the day that DOS2 was released (before the price increase). I was waiting for the update because I did not want to buy the dialog.

Initially I was super happy with the speakers, but after listening for a while I noticed what is now known as the stereo sync issue (cathedral effect). Because one of the speakers was damaged (scratched), I had it replaced by the dealer. After extensive listening with the new speaker for a while, I noticed that the balance is not right. It sounds like one channel is louder than the other which causes a distubed stereo image. The problem is different than the stereo sync issue which sounded more like an echo.

Does anyone recognise this problem? I noticed that unplugging the speakers solves the problem for a while, but after some time the problem returns (random left/right speaker gets louder).

Thanks guys!
Yes I have the same symptoms since migrating to DOS2. Like you I don’t get echo effect but a dominance of one speaker or another...like you it varies left and right and occurs randomly although I think it occurs more frequently when using the Devialet app. IE if I just link directly via AirPlay from Apple Music or Amazon HD it seems more stable. When it does occur I have been able to recover the system using the unplug approach but it tends to lose the existing configuration and takes multiple reboots to get stereo back. I’m hoping that the forthcoming fix for the cathedral effect also fixes this issue. Devialet support have said they expect a fix to be available this week so here’s hoping.
(18-Nov-2019, 15:08)Pwalder Wrote:

Thanks guys!
Yes I have the same symptoms since migrating to DOS2. Like you I don’t get echo effect but a dominance of one speaker or another...like you it varies left and right and occurs randomly although I think it occurs more frequently when using the Devialet app. IE if I just link directly via AirPlay from Apple Music or Amazon HD it seems more stable. When it does occur I have been able to recover the system using the unplug approach but it tends to lose the existing configuration and takes multiple reboots to get stereo back. I’m hoping that the forthcoming fix for the cathedral effect also fixes this issue. Devialet support have said they expect a fix to be available this week so here’s hoping.
I have the feeling that playing on higher volumes (increased bass) aggravates/accelerates the balance problem.. I hope the problem will be solved soon. I did not had the chance to enjoy my brand new speakers, so i'm a bit disapointed to say the least.. Was even thinking of returning the speakers and swap for the KEF LS50W!

Thanks guys!
Yes i Have the exact same problem. No echo just balance issue. One is louder. I called devialet this morning - they said they will look into it. New firmware expected before Xmas. But when ?
i’m thinking about selling my golds and get another brand. The best « unbalanced » sound in the world.
I purchased a pair of Reactors when they were first available to order and they had exactly the same problems.  It required several software updates before they fixed all the bugs.  Good news is they did fix them.  Not sure how they managed to release DOS2 for Phantom with the same bugs as the initial Reactor software.
So I think I have the same problem. One of my phantom didn't support DOS2 so I exchanged it, updated my remaining Phantom to DOS2 and when the refurbished one arrived with DOS 2 preinstalled (an older version 2.8.0 instead of 2.8.3), tried to pair them. Everytime I tried to pair them, I only had the sound on the left one (the slave), until I rebooted both of them. At this point, I had stereo sound but they're slightly out of sync whick provokes this cathedral sound. Quite funny how it can highlight some mids and high frequencies, but when you listen to a television show, it's horrid Smile
I really hope they come with a fix soon, I switched back to mono  Sad
(20-Nov-2019, 17:37)mkswing Wrote: So I think I have the same problem. One of my phantom didn't support DOS2 so I exchanged it, updated my remaining Phantom to DOS2 and when the refurbished one arrived with DOS 2 preinstalled (an older version 2.8.0 instead of 2.8.3), tried to pair them. Everytime I tried to pair them, I only had the sound on the left one (the slave), until I rebooted both of them. At this point, I had stereo sound but they're slightly out of sync whick provokes this cathedral sound. Quite funny how it can highlight some mids and high frequencies, but when you listen to a television show, it's horrid Smile
I really hope they come with a fix soon, I switched back to mono  Sad

I just had a feedback from the customer service, they asked me to unplug/plug the power chord at the same time and have them on the same line. When the Phantoms rebooted, you reinstalled them, created the stereo pair and... It worked ! I asked why to customer service. I suspect they use PLC on their Phantoms.
So the issue for me was that I received a refurbished Phantom that I plugged and paired with the existing one. By not unplugging the existing one there seems to be a lack of sync analysis that only happens when you plug them at the same time (note they were already on the same line), rebooting them pushing the back button 3 times is not enough.
(21-Nov-2019, 14:56)mkswing Wrote: I just had a feedback from the customer service, they asked me to unplug/plug the power chord at the same time and have them on the same line. When the Phantoms rebooted, you reinstalled them, created the stereo pair and... It worked ! I asked why to customer service. I suspect they use PLC on their Phantoms.
So the issue for me was that I received a refurbished Phantom that I plugged and paired with the existing one. By not unplugging the existing one there seems to be a lack of sync analysis that only happens when you plug them at the same time (note they were already on the same line), rebooting them pushing the back button 3 times is not enough.

if this is the case the simultaneous "re-plugging"  — Big Grin — seems to be a crucial find.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
(21-Nov-2019, 17:56)DesertEagleAZ Wrote:
(21-Nov-2019, 14:56)mkswing Wrote: I just had a feedback from the customer service, they asked me to unplug/plug the power chord at the same time and have them on the same line. When the Phantoms rebooted, you reinstalled them, created the stereo pair and... It worked ! I asked why to customer service. I suspect they use PLC on their Phantoms.

if this is the case the simultaneous "re-plugging"  — Big Grin — seems to be a crucial find.

Well... It worked perfectly for a few hours... And then A strange bug appeared where the stereo pair disappeared and depending on the sound level, the sound balance was switching from left to right...   Dodgy
I tried to recreate the stereo pair and had echo again.