Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 with Dialog - Questions of a DOS1 setup owner?
I am interested to hear about your experiences with Dialog after upgrading to DOS2. For some it might have become disposable but for my setup with 2x Phantom White (BT but no Airplay) it is still convenient to have around.

1) It gives me Airplay, which I use quite often 
2) It allows me to connect a turntable (optical), server (Ethernet) and Apple TV (Ethernet) at a different place connecting to the Phantoms via the Devialet WiFi or PLC
4) It allows me to take load off my WiFi Network

Especially regarding my fourth point I have not found any information. Is it still possible to route data from Dialog via PLC to the Phantoms (works perfectly for me in DOS1)? How is it presented in the new Devialet app? Do you get "three" devices or is there just one (Dialog). What about Airplay? How would you configure the devices features/options? What are available for Dialog? Which ones for Phantom? How would you configure UPnP in Dialog?

I really appreciate your insights.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
If your Dialog is AirPlay enabled, you will still have AirPlay after migrating all your devices to DOS2. The optical input will still be available for what you describe, however, I'm not sure about the Wi-Fi/PLC extender/bridge. I know for a fact that it was the plan originally, even removing the ethernet connection requirement, however I don't know how things evolved internally.
In DOS2 you still have the option to select WiFi, PLC or auto. If you have a wired network interface, that will become the default.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N960F met Tapatalk
How does DOS2 communicate now? I thought it was able to use your own wifi network? My house is large, and dialog never had a chance at delivering wifi to all my phantoms. What about now?
Hhm, it still it is not completely clear to me what kind of adjustments I can make within the new DOS2 regarding my network infrastructure. I have not seen any screenshots yet, so it is a bit difficult to understand. I do not want to upgrade before it is completely transparent what is actually happening.

So my prime question is:
Can I connect all devices with PLC (the Phantoms are in a stereo setup)? Phantom 1 (BT/PLC/WiFi) + Phantom 2 (BT/PLC/WiFi) + Dialog (Optical/Ethernet/WiFi/Airplay). My aim is to neither "stress" my home WiFi, nor to connect the Phantoms with Ethernet cables.

And linked to that:
Can Dialog become the UPnP renderer in such setup? Or would only the Phantoms show up and the music would the be sent via Wifi to the Phantoms (instead my current setup which is via Ethernet to Dialog from my server)? 

In addition to that:
I assume that Dialog will present itself as AirPlay device in my network (as in DOS1). I also assume that now BT can be password protected (which was not supported in DOS1)?

Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
Lightbulb 
(02-Nov-2019, 20:25)seb Wrote: So my prime question is:
Can I connect all devices with PLC (the Phantoms are in a stereo setup)? Phantom 1 (BT/PLC/WiFi) + Phantom 2 (BT/PLC/WiFi) + Dialog (Optical/Ethernet/WiFi/Airplay). My aim is to neither "stress" my home WiFi, nor to connect the Phantoms with Ethernet cables.

And linked to that:
Can Dialog become the UPnP renderer in such setup? Or would only the Phantoms show up and the music would the be sent via Wifi to the Phantoms (instead my current setup which is via Ethernet to Dialog from my server)? 

In addition to that:
I assume that Dialog will present itself as AirPlay device in my network (as in DOS1). I also assume that now BT can be password protected (which was not supported in DOS1)?
This is what I have read. DOS2 should not change your DOS1 setup and you can continue using the Dialog. With DOS2, UPnP will be enabled on Phantoms as well, so I assume there is an option to enable/ disable them and you can continue to use Dialog with UPnP. Similarly with Airplay. Have not heard about BT being password protected.
(03-Nov-2019, 10:37)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(02-Nov-2019, 20:25)seb Wrote: So my prime question is:

And linked to that:

In addition to that:
This is what I have read. DOS2 should not change your DOS1 setup and you can continue using the Dialog. With DOS2, UPnP will be enabled on Phantoms as well, so I assume there is an option to enable/ disable them and you can continue to use Dialog with UPnP. Similarly with Airplay. Have not heard about BT being password protected.

Yeah, that's what I read as well. Yet we do not know how it was implemented. Seems most of the owners did not bother to upgrade the Dialog as well.

I updated everything, leaving the dialog to the end. The first Phantom updated and configured itself as a single device. I then went back to the card interface of the three devices detected (2 Phantom and Dialog) and trigger the update on the second Phantom. Once it had finished installing the firmware, but before the full process had completed, it asked if I wanted to set up a stereo pair with the first Phantom I had updated, which I said yes to. This finalized a stereo pair prior to updating the Dialog. I could have stopped there because everything was working.  I then updated the dialog. It now appears in a menu under my products, but it’s not part of the set up; unplugging it doesn’t affect performance.

I suppose at this point I should hard reset everything to see if all three devices hosting the updated firmware forge a different threefold connection, but given that the stereo image has improved greatly for me from DOS1 to DOS2 I’m hesitant to mess with it given some of the other issues users are reporting.

Unlike spark, there isn’t a means of turning upnp on or off. If you select it in the sources you get instructions only:

Bluetooth seems to need to be Activated every time you launch the app if it isn’t paired with something already. I activated, paired my phone, played some music, then disconnected, and the Phantom wasn’t available as an option from other devices. Not sure how secure it is: I don’t use Bluetooth regularly:

(03-Nov-2019, 18:55)vaguedetails Wrote: I updated everything, leaving the dialog to the end. The first Phantom updated and configured itself as a single device. I then went back to the card interface of the three devices detected (2 Phantom and Dialog) and trigger the update on the second Phantom. Once it had finished installing the firmware, but before the full process had completed, it asked if I wanted to set up a stereo pair with the first Phantom I had updated, which I said yes to. This finalized a stereo pair prior to updating the Dialog. I could have stopped there because everything was working.  I then updated the dialog. It now appears in a menu under my products, but it’s not part of the set up; unplugging it doesn’t affect performance.

I suppose at this point I should hard reset everything to see if all three devices hosting the updated firmware forge a different threefold connection, but given that the stereo image has improved greatly for me from DOS1 to DOS2 I’m hesitant to mess with it given some of the other issues users are reporting.

Unlike spark, there isn’t a means of turning upnp on or off. If you select it in the sources you get instructions only:

Bluetooth seems to need to be Activated every time you launch the app if it isn’t paired with something already. I activated, paired my phone, played some music, then disconnected, and the Phantom wasn’t available as an option from other devices. Not sure how secure it is: I don’t use Bluetooth regularly:

Thank you that was quite helpful, especially the Screenshots Smile . Are you able to change how the Phantoms communicate with each other in the App's the settings buttons ((WiFi, PLC)? What do the Dialog settings options look like (although it is not part of your configuration)?

Yes you can toggle how the phantoms communicate. I don’t have any options available under the dialog, but that may be because it’s not part of the set up.

Let’s see if this video worked: https://cloudup.com/cLydm3SW-iq

Note if I unplug the Dialog it disappears from the app, so that list of My Products isn’t pulling from my purchase history on my Devialet account, it’s detecting what’s active and available on the network. I’m having Airplay issues, which I shouldn’t be having regardless of Dialog, but even with the Dialog connected, I don’t have Airplay as an option, so its functionality isn’t automatically activating upon inclusion on the network. https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Missing-Airplay-in-DOS2