Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPM is Great!
@AdamEOS - after reading your feedback I decided to try turning DPM on. Wow, it does sound different. DPM on has very slightly more sparkle in the highs and the soundstage feels a little more dynamic. DPM off has a more 'even' feel to the soundstage.

I'm gonna try using the system with DPM on for now to see if I prefer it.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
From what I understand, DPM is a kind of power saving. It would be strange for DPM on to have better sound quality than DPM off.
I tried it a few years ago and the above was confirmed, but I will try it again.
Listening for a while now, the difference is more noticeable in soundtrack or orchestral music.
Listening to the Jurassic Park soundtrack now which has very powerful sections.

DPM OFF sounds smoother with a more stable, dense soundstage, it does sound like the system is powerful and effortless.

DPM ON has slightly shouty highs and the system sometimes sounds less controlled during the super-deep bass moments.

Listening to other music with DPM ON for an extended period, I think I feel a little more fatigued.

So I've set the DPM back to OFF.
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
How much warmer does the Devialet get when turning DPM off?
(06-May-2023, 07:49)markush Wrote: How much warmer does the Devialet get when turning DPM off?

Just checked. Ambient is 27C, it's a hot day. Reading the "Supply" temperature.
DPM Off: Master is 47C, Companion (less ventilation) is 49C.
DMP On yesterday, the units were around 42C-44C or so.

More temp readings:
DMP Off: With air-conditioning and ambient temperature 24C. Supply temperature reads 37C-40C.

This is on a 1000 Expert Pro.
I prefer the sound with DPM Off. When watching movies, the difference is more apparent.
I had never looked at DPM. It was turned on for years. A few days I decided to turn it of and prefered it.
The DPM will stay off in the future.

Thanks for mentioning it in the Devialet chat
Devialet 250 Expert Pro, SME 20/2, Ayre CX-7,Aurender S10,
Furutech Daytona 303e, Sonus Faber Cremona, Yter and Audioquest cables and Isoaccoustics dampers
I´ll try it off, after all this years and "see" what happens.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Years ago I tried turning DPM off and left it off which meant making a configuration file with it turned off, the DPM setting isn't "sticky" like the balance, bass, and treble settings are. The recent posts on this thread prompted me to try DPM On again.

It does make a difference and I can understand why some people like it. For example, on some music I found that it gave a different feel to the leading edge of transients. Having DPM on seems to alter" the leading edge of the transient in some way, giving a slightly different definition to the sound. It can sound nice and "punchy" in a way but it's not quite natura to my earsl. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz and I felt that acoustic bass sounded a bit more like an electric bass than an acoustic bass in a way.

Overall, music sounds more "natural" to me with DPM off but that is definitely a personal and subjective opinion. I've gone back to that but listening with it on again for a day was interesting. I can understand why some people like it on and why others like it off. Since we listen to music for enjoyment then it makes sense to me to have it on or off depending on which way you prefer it but my preference is for DPM off.

My recommendation would be to try listening with it on and with it off and just see which way you prefer it. It does make a difference. I have no doubt that if all of the people involved in the amp's design thought that having it on was definitely better than having it off, there would not be a switch setting to enable us to make the choice for ourselves. I think the switch is there because some people involved in the design of the amp preferred it on while others preferred it off.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DPM off = smoother, more natural, more refined sound.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(08-May-2023, 21:30)Delija Wrote: DPM off = smoother, more natural, more refined sound.

Absolutely!