Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent basic CD transport?
Hi all - first post (on this forum) so be gentle and point me to any threads that cover my question if it's already been done.

I'm considering replacing my Naim (Olive Series) CDX / XPX / NAC52 / Supercap / NAP135 with a Devialet 120 or 200. Most of our listening is now streamed through SB Touch clients but we have the requirement for occasional CD playback, so I'm wondering what basic but half-decent CD transport I could connect up to one of the digital inputs.

Obviously, it doesn't need a DAC and - frankly - serious "audiophile" credentials are probably not necessary. At the risk of appearing sexist, it's mainly for my wife when she just wants to play something I haven't ripped or just wants to load a CD and press <play> rather than fire up the server, wait for it to boot and sync with the various clients, find an i-Thing, load iPeng, mess with wi-fi issues etc. etc.

Does this make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
(14-Nov-2014, 22:07)GRC Wrote: Does this make sense? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
I think only you can decide if it makes sense for you !

I bought myself a Marantz KI pearl Lite for very similar reasons, also to give myself an SACD player (which does need the DAC function). Only cost a few hundred Euros.

Maybe you're thinking of something completely different. What budget are you thinking of ?
Some of the Rega players have digital outputs, sound good (similar in presentation to Naim but a bit more 'relaxed' than a CDX) and are fairly priced - new or used depending on budget.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I was in the same position, wanting a fall-back transport only which was also small so could be tucked away for occasional use. The only ones I could find at a vaguely ok price were the Cyrus units at £700 for the standard model and £1750 for the signature. Front feed loading rather like a car unit.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I have Rega Apollo -r with my devialet 120. Plays very well.
Thanks for suggestions so far. I would prefer a half-width unit that can be tucked away like IanG suggests so will keep a look out for a Cyrus unit. A CD XT would be nice but I was hoping to keep the budget below 300 pounds or so (used). Given the age of my CDX an early model wouldn't be an issue.

I have no experience of Rega products at all but note the Apollo-R is also a half-width unit. Not sure about the red display though . . . I'd read the Marantz was a bit "soft" in its presentation but - again - no direct experience.

Any other half-width suggestions? Big Grin

Cheers
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

The other one worth tracking down is the Denon DCD-F109 which is a CD transport in silver or black. Still on Denon's website but don't know where you would get one.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/...id=dcdf109

There is a second hand one on Gumtree as part of a system for £350.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/stereo-systems/...1088744548

Or a new package from Amazon for £250 but not clear as to what unit does what and whether there is a digital output.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-DF109DABC-...0VEXCCPV3F

But in both cases you would need to sell stuff on.

Ah now I see the best source and it shows the black version and the digital output - £250 from Superfi and you would need to sell the receive which I expect might only fetch £50. Allegedly the original price of the pair was £480 so it might be about to be discontinued.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10936-denon-d...tAodRlYAJw
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
If you like modifying old CD players/transports, then a Philips CD940 (or 930/950) will be excellent too.
Using one myself with a six-pack powersupply based on Lampizat0r it just rocks!

Player was about 90 Euro's and the whole modifications about a 100 Euro extra I think.
Plus my dad who has superb skills with electronics. Used to be his job. Saved me a lot of time figuring things out, as I can solder and all that, but I lack experience. Can't beat 40 years of that...
Devialet 200 | Marten Django L | Modified Philips CD940 | Technics SL1210 Mk2
(15-Nov-2014, 11:35)matikki Wrote: I have Rega Apollo -r with my devialet 120. Plays very well.

If I were looking for a CD transport, the Apollo-R would be near the top of my list. One big plus is that it's a top-loader, so there's less that can go wrong with it.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I found that CD transport quite interesting: http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=cdb...al&lang=en
The Pro-ject CD box RS is small and more or less the only newly developed CD transport. CD transports are rapidly discontinued by most manufacturers. I still like to use a CD transport more than anything computer based sound and usage wise. I plan to audition one of these.