Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisions, decisions: Classic vs. Silver
Hi guys!
My name is Karl and I am new here... but I have been curious about Devialets since they were launched. 
I never had a serious sound system, especially because of the costs and because it seems to be a very complicated endeavour indeed. To me the Phantoms always seemed like a great opportunity to achieve great sound without all the fuss of external amps, speakers, cables and so on. 

Now that prices on the used market are somewhat more approachable, I'd like to make the first step into this world. It would replace a Samsung DA-E750 in a 30-ish square meters room. Online I could find both a Classic and a Silver for sale.

By reading this forum I learnt a few things, please correct me if I'm wrong:
- Classics and Silvers are the same technically, that's why they could upgrade the power of the Classics twice;
- The Silvers are not available anymore to buy new (apart if you already got one and want to go for a stereo setup), probably because the Classics are so close to what the Silvers were (or is it because the Silvers were too good of a deal?);
- High wattage is mostly useful to fill large rooms with sound, in a small-ish ambient it is not crazily important.

Now to my questions:
- The Classic is, according to the seller, the 1200W version. Is this version upgradable to 2000W? How can I find out before buying?
- What (if any) differences would an "average" listener notice between the Classic and the Silver?
- How do I find out if they are AirPlay compatible? I use it a lot on my Samsung right now.
- I can get the Classic for about 800€, the Silver for about 1230€. Let's imagine the conditions are similar, what do you think of the prices and which one would you reckon is the better deal?

Thank you so much for your help, I can't wait to be a part of this family! 
Karl

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I listen to music through a Tidal HiFi subscription!
(04-May-2020, 18:50)caemca Wrote: Hi guys!
My name is Karl and I am new here... but I have been curious about Devialets since they were launched. 
I never had a serious sound system, especially because of the costs and because it seems to be a very complicated endeavour indeed. To me the Phantoms always seemed like a great opportunity to achieve great sound without all the fuss of external amps, speakers, cables and so on. 

Now that prices on the used market are somewhat more approachable, I'd like to make the first step into this world. It would replace a Samsung DA-E750 in a 30-ish square meters room. Online I could find both a Classic and a Silver for sale.

- Classics and Silvers are the same technically, that's why they could upgrade the power of the Classics twice;
- The Silvers are not available anymore to buy new (apart if you already got one and want to go for a stereo setup), probably because the Classics are so close to what the Silvers were (or is it because the Silvers were too good of a deal?);
- High wattage is mostly useful to fill large rooms with sound, in a small-ish ambient it is not crazily important.

Now to my questions:
- The Classic is, according to the seller, the 1200W version. Is this version upgradable to 2000W? How can I find out before buying?
- What (if any) differences would an "average" listener notice between the Classic and the Silver?
- How do I find out if they are AirPlay compatible? I use it a lot on my Samsung right now.
- I can get the Classic for about 800€, the Silver for about 1230€. Let's imagine the conditions are similar, what do you think of the prices and which one would you reckon is the better deal?

Karl

I have two white (classics) and two silvers and one dialog, on the "old" DOS1. I run mine in two different rooms, both 35-40 m2. I'd say the difference is noticeable. I'd go for the silvers, but I'm sure that the whites will serve you well, too, should you opt for them.
(05-May-2020, 08:57)curban Wrote:

Now to my questions:

Karl

I have two white (classics) and two silvers and one dialog, on the "old" DOS1. I run mine in two different rooms, both 35-40 m2. I'd say the difference is noticeable. I'd go for the silvers, but I'm sure that the whites will serve you well, too, should you opt for them.
Thank you so much for your answer curban!
I am a complete newbie when it comes to DOS1 and 2. When you say your Phantoms run DOS1, does that imply your white Phantoms still run at 1200w? Or am I utterly confused?
(05-May-2020, 10:43)caemca Wrote:
(05-May-2020, 08:57)curban Wrote:

Now to my questions:

Karl

Thank you so much for your answer curban!
I am a complete newbie when it comes to DOS1 and 2. When you say your Phantoms run DOS1, does that imply your white Phantoms still run at 1200w? Or am I utterly confused?
Sorry for the late reply... They have a"power upgrade" which was (some time ago) offered without the DOS2 (there was no talk of DOS2 back then). I believe that makes them 2000W or so. I almost never use them over 40-45 somewhere since I live in an apartment and the neighbors might complain. The whites are in the kitchen (38 m2) and the silvers are in an adjacent room (den/living room) of about 35 m2.