Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 120 (un-upgraded) as phono stage
Hi, everyone, as a Devialet user for 2 years I'm quite happy with my 120 Expert (the original version' I didn't upgrade) and now I'm starting to explore a bit in the world of TT and vinyls.

I have a Rega Planar 6 TT and am looking for a cartridge now. I want to have a low-output MC cartridge (Hana SL) to enjoy supposedly better sound quality. However, I did read in the forum that some Devialet users are not quite happy with Devialet as phono stage working with low-output MC cartridges, deeming it not good enough to power them. Problems such as constant humming noises are often mentioned.

I wrote to Devialet about this and was told that although the phono stage of my original 120 is not advanced as other models and it comes with no pre-out, it can still handle MC cartridges nicely coz Devialet has taken MC cartridges into consideration during their design. He/she didn't mention low-output MC in particular. In the configurator, I can see the option of MC and can set the output voltage below 1mv.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
(03-Oct-2018, 11:51)mjledme Wrote: Hi, everyone, as a Devialet user for 2 years I'm quite happy with my 120 Expert (the original version' I didn't upgrade) and now I'm starting to explore a bit in the world of TT and vinyls.

I have a Rega Planar 6 TT and am looking for a cartridge now. I want to have a low-output MC cartridge (Hana SL) to enjoy supposedly better sound quality. However, I did read in the forum that some Devialet users are not quite happy with Devialet as phono stage working with low-output MC cartridges, deeming it not good enough to power them. Problems such as constant humming noises are often mentioned.

I wrote to Devialet about this and was told that although the phono stage of my original 120 is not advanced as other models and it comes with no pre-out, it can still handle MC cartridges nicely coz Devialet has taken MC cartridges into consideration during their design. He/she didn't mention low-output MC in particular. In the configurator, I can see the option of MC and can set the output voltage below 1mv.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
I can't comment directly on the 120 phono stage, but with the Expert some people with low output cartridges have reported a slight hiss.  I get the hiss, but it is at a low level so as soon as music is playing you simply cannot hear it.  To be honest, it is not a problem.  I have never seen anyone report "humming" noises.  (unless they haven't connected the earth lead from the TT)  As for you Hana SL this has a higher output than my Ortofon (and many other MC's), so I think it will work just fine, try it and see how it sounds.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Haha maybe my it’s my poor memory not the humming noise, lol

Thank you for your suggestion, making me feel more confident now
Updating: I’ve put Benz Micro Ace SL (0.4mV) on my Rega Planar 6 and set devialet to MC 0.45mV 192Hz. But I got a strange noise from Devialet which is not the usual hissing of vinyls (which I can slight hear when connecting the TT to Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL phono stage and Cayin A88T MKII integrated amp). This noise starts as soon as I turn on the PSU of Rega (even before I put any records on). It’s not the usual hissing which is constant but a noise at high frequency which seems to have something to do with the rotation of platter. And for the vinyl hissing you can hardly notice it when the music starts but the strange noise persists...anyone has any ideas?
Hi from the Netherlands:

1. The earthing of your turntable is not in order
2. With what kind of equipment (TV?) is your Devialet connected. Without a description of your equipment it is impossible to advice well
3. When you start using a turntable on a high quality level start with earthing the complete equipment on ONE point and ONE point only. Read twice!
4. When more then one point is involved use galvanic seperation
5. Perfect: connect your turntable in a balanced way
6. How is all your equipment now connected with the mains? You don't know the possibillities? Look for example on Kemp electronics from Amsterdam. They sell everything also for USA, UK, etc etc. Read the description of the Isolator source (can be build in in the mains closet).
Such a firm can also install everything at your home (I did) and they are allowed to build and change the mains all over. I know your not into that kind of level, but when you know how a new Phantom drives, it helpes to deside what normal car to buy.
7. Is the PSU of your Rega in order?

In short: without such information nobody can give the right advices. Have you ever soldered? A lot can be done by yourself!
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

Fellow D120 owner here! I recognize the problem very well. Devialet prides itself on having "one of the most advanced phono stages ever created". It was one of the main reasons for me to buy their amp, so I was quite disappointed to find that the thing simply can not decently handle low-output moving coil. It is, frankly speaking, unacceptable and Devialet should make a point of either fixing it or at least mention it in their communication to prospective buyers.
I also tried the more "advanced" and the new "pro" models, but the constant hiss persists in all models I have heard. So there is no point in upgrading.

The solution for me was to get a SUT to bring the signal up to MM levels. An expense which I did not count on having to make, but there you go... The result is very good.
A humming noise, on the other hand, is not normal.
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
Hi thank you for your inputs everyone!

Just an update that the problem is solved by ticking disabling WiFi under phono mode! That easy! Put your ear against the speaker you can hear a low volume hissing which is hardly niticable when the record is playing

I connect my TT directly to Devialet and the sound is AMAZING!!! I'm even thinking of selling the musical fidelity mx-vynl phono stage and the Cayin A88T MKII (if Devialet can do the job so nicely, no point in keeping two systems~
(16-Nov-2018, 06:00)mjledme Wrote: Hi thank you for your inputs everyone!

Just an update that the problem is solved by ticking disabling WiFi under phono mode! That easy! Put your ear against the speaker you can hear a low volume hissing which is hardly niticable when the record is playing

I connect my TT directly to Devialet and the sound is AMAZING!!! I'm even thinking of selling the musical fidelity mx-vynl  phono stage and the Cayin A88T MKII (if Devialet can do the job so nicely, no point in keeping two systems~

Glad to read that you were able to fix your problem. I had the same issue with my D120, connected to a Clearaudio Concept Wood with an MM cartridge. Disabling the WiFi (after reading a post on this forum) also proved to be the solution. Ever since my experience with my turntable has been just as expected (meaning... Great  Smile ) .
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France
Nice too hear , but you talk about a MM cartridge , it is a different situation With a Low output MC cartridge , many have talk about Hiss ,so it is not soo easy .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(30-Mar-2019, 21:33)Finn Wrote: Nice too hear , but you talk about a MM cartridge , it is a different situation With a Low output MC cartridge , many have talk about Hiss ,so it is not soo easy .

fair enough  Wink , but if the WiFi affected an MM cartridge, I would definitely expect it to affect an MC one and start from there
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France