Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 and Bose 901 VI
Hi,

I'm very new to this audio world and bought the bose speakers long time ago as a recommendation from the sales guy. I discovered the Devialet 200 and so far only read good feedback on it.

I understand that SAM doesnt support the Boses yet. Do you think it's a good combination or would I be better off with a different speaker system.

Thanks
Markus
(07-Feb-2015, 10:43)linmar Wrote: Hi,

I'm very new to this audio world and bought the bose speakers long time ago as a recommendation from the sales guy. I discovered the Devialet 200 and so far only read good feedback on it.

I understand that SAM doesnt support the Boses yet. Do you think it's a good combination or would I be better off with a different speaker system.

Thanks
Markus

Hi Markus

this is actually a very interesting combination. Even if the 901 has a fairly bad reputation in audiophile circles the speaker is quite good. This review confirms this: http://www.tonepublications.com/review/w...-bose-901/

The 901 depends on the equalizer to correct it's frequency response. To use the speakers with the Bose equalizer you would have to connect to the analog line input of the D200. Not quite ideal as you would then not get the correct sound when using any of the other inputs on the 200.

If you really like how the 901 presents music in your listening environment I would contact Devialet to ask if they could replicate the amplitude correction in the DSP of the amp. Devialet has previously been very helpful in cases like this. As the correction is amplitude only it should be relatively easy for Devialet to implement. With the equalizing performed by the D200 DSP you would get even better sound quality than with the Bose EQ box. I would not worry about SAM in this context as the EQ curve from Bose is optimized to the speaker already.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I used to have the 901s while I was in school in the early 90s. It was a pretty good solution for a system to fill an apartment with good sound. I remember hearing good music even while in an adjacent room. I used to drive it with a Pioneer receiver. I haven't listened to a Bose speaker in a long time but it was my audiophile speaker Cool while I was in school.

Go for it. If Devialet is willing to help with the EQ settings built in, it would be a cool system to enjoy music.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
I really dont want to rain on your parade , but if you are spending eu7000 on an amp for bose 901's , you are spending your money wrong , those speakers  *I had a few sets * are not really very good at all and IMO not deserving of that amount spent on them for an amp. 
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(08-Feb-2015, 07:21)Rodney Gold Wrote: I really dont want to rain on your parade , but if you are spending eu7000 on an amp for bose 901's , you are spending your money wrong , those speakers  *I had a few sets * are not really very good at all and IMO not deserving of that amount spent on them for an amp. 

I do not think the OP would go wrong buying a D200. *IF* Devialet creates the EQ curve for the speaker in the DSP he'll be able to hear for himself if the result is good. This is free.  If he does not like the result he can buy new speakers, now that he has got a fabulous amplifier...
As for the 901's - I think Jeff Dorgay gives a very balanced description of the speakers.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Thanks for the answers so far. I did order the D200 now and sent an email to Devialet asking if they could do something in software to support them. Initial feedback was not too promising, but I guess it's an rather easy thing to do for them if I manage to reach the right person. Also I believe that it would be a smart move for them as it probably could generate some business in the market of former bose customers.

That being said if I decide to change speakers, what would you suggest being the most affordable D200 worthy speakers, superior to the 901? I guess it should be something which is SAM supported already.
Sad((((

"Devialet Support (Devialet)
Feb 9, 12:26

Dear Markus,

I think this comes up because other clients have asked us this question.

I made some researches too.

Apparently what you ask would require that the Devialet gets an analogical signal out, then feed this signal to the equalizer then be fed again to the Devialet.

That is not possible at the moment.

Other colleagues have looked into details your Bose 901 active equalizer and unfortunately, it is not possible to use it with the Devialet system for the moment.

Best regards"
(09-Feb-2015, 12:29)linmar Wrote: Sad((((

"Devialet Support (Devialet)
Feb 9, 12:26

Dear Markus,

I think this comes up because other clients have asked us this question.

I made some researches too.

Apparently what you ask would require that the Devialet gets an analogical signal out, then feed this signal to the equalizer then be fed again to the Devialet.

That is not possible at the moment.

Other colleagues have looked into details your Bose 901 active equalizer and unfortunately, it is not possible to use it with the Devialet system for the moment.

Best regards"
Hi Marcus

there is something fundamentally wrong with the answer from Devialet support. Either you have formulated the question in a way that can be misunderstood or Devialet support is completely off target and does not understand what is being asked.
What Devialet should answer to is: Can they supply a frequency response correction in the DSP identical to the one the analog equalizer does? The idea is to avoid using the Bose equalizer at all.

I quote from a mail exchange I had with Thierry Massoubre regarding room correction back in March 2012:

"...Regarding the room correction, we can, as I told you, already make a custom configuration for you. What we need are the concerned frequencies and the amount of dB to be corrected. I you have these data, please send them to me and I'll get in touch with our engineers.

Thanks again and I stay stay at your disposal should you have any question.

Best regards,

Thierry
"

I hope if you re-phrase your question to Devialet they will answer correctly. The image I have attached is the series 4 correction. Look at the 'Controls At Center'. This will give you an idea. The series 6 EQ curve is different and hence the dB values needed. I have not found the series 6 correction anywhere on the internet, but it should be relatively easy to plot the response of your Bose equalizer if you get a proper answer from Devialet and decide to proceed with the project.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialetless!
no luck Sad

"I see, I understand now that you would like to avoid using the bose equaliser, by having a custom configuration.

However we are not at the moment able to provide custom configurations anymore."
So it seems the sales went up and no more time for custom work.
They could provide a tool, though. Something like room correction. You specify your room dimensions, take few measurements and upload it to the tool on their site...