Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 ------my first 4 months
Well here are my thoughts after owning my 200 for just over 4 months, warts and all.
First thing to say is that this will appear to be a negative posting to some who read it, but after weighing it all up the 200 has a sound to die for and you know what at the end of the day that’s the most important thing about hifi.
I do feel however that you have to be a hi fi lover to really embrace the Devialet range full. I am not really a hifi lover, but I am a music lover. I think there is a difference. I had no idea that the setting up of the Devialet would be so troublesome and the support and documentation from Devialet does really leave a lot to be desired. This forum is the only reason I got through that first week – surely this should not be the case. People on this forum took a lot of time out to help me and to them I am eternally thankful and I have no doubt I will need them again.
So 6k and AIR is simply too unstable to use – this is the biggest disappointment. I use the word disappointment but the truth is I have no idea how Devialet get away with it as it affects a lot more users than they would care to admit. I am now back to using a CD transport as my full budget and more went on the 200. This is my biggest disappointment. For me 6k is a large amount of my cash and I cant help but feel that I am not getting the best out of the 200. When using AIR I get about an hour before the white noise kicks in. This has virtually stopped me using AIR. This is a shame as I love the sound quality with AIR. It is simply the best that I have ever owned – hence the frustration.
I have got the Dialog and I am pinning all my hopes on this working and giving the same SQ as AIR…………..just have no idea when it will be available.
I guess I should have researched more before I bought the 200, as I had no idea that upgrades were prone to bugs and it is also rather time consuming. Infact I have not even upgraded to the new version 8 as it took me that long to get my configurator right at set up. I have a headphone amp and had to change all of the inputs to accommodate that, so the thought of starting all that over again do not really appeal. I know I have to do it sometime though.
The big question is would I swap the 200 for my cash back and the answer is NO. I am not really that technical and to be honest when dealing with my music I really don’t want to have to mess about with various bits of software, but when I heard the 200 it was an instant WOW. It still is 4 months later. After all this is what is really of most importance. I have not owned any other high end piece of kit so I cant compare it to those, but it blew my old M6i amp out of the water in every way. Bass and soundstage in a different league.
So pleased with the purchase , disappointed with the AIR issues and hoping Dialog solves it all.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Jun-2015, 18:55)Womaz Wrote: Well here are my thoughts after owning my 200 for just over 4 months, warts and all.
First thing to say is that this will appear to be a negative posting to some who read it, but after weighing it all up the 200 has a sound to die for and you know what at the end of the day that’s the most important thing about hifi.
I do feel however that you have to be a hi fi lover to really embrace the Devialet range full. I am not really a hifi lover, but I am a music lover. I think there is a difference. I had no idea that the setting up of the Devialet would be so troublesome and the support and documentation from Devialet does really leave a lot to be desired. This forum is the only reason I got through that first week – surely this should not be the case. People on this forum took a lot of time out to help me and to them I am eternally thankful and I have no doubt I will need them again.
So 6k and AIR is simply too unstable to use – this is the biggest disappointment. I use the word disappointment but the truth is I have no idea how Devialet get away with it as it affects a lot more users than they would care to admit. I am now back to using a CD transport as my full budget and more went on the 200. This is my biggest disappointment. For me 6k is a large amount of my cash and I cant help but feel that I am not getting the best out of the 200. When using AIR I get about an hour before the white noise kicks in. This has virtually stopped me using AIR. This is a shame as I love the sound quality with AIR. It is simply the best that I have ever owned – hence the frustration.
I have got the Dialog and I am pinning all my hopes on this working and giving the same SQ as AIR…………..just have no idea when it will be available.
I guess I should have researched more before I bought the 200, as I had no idea that upgrades were prone to bugs and it is also rather time consuming. Infact I have not even upgraded to the new version 8 as it took me that long to get my configurator right at set up. I have a headphone amp and had to change all of the inputs to accommodate that, so the thought of starting all that over again do not really appeal. I know I have to do it sometime though.
The big question is would I swap the 200 for my cash back and the answer is NO. I am not really that technical and to be honest when dealing with my music I really don’t want to have to mess about with various bits of software, but when I heard the 200 it was an instant WOW. It still is 4 months later. After all this is what is really of most importance. I have not owned any other high end piece of kit so I cant compare it to those, but it blew my old M6i amp out of the water in every way. Bass and soundstage in a different league.
So pleased with the purchase , disappointed with the AIR issues and hoping Dialog solves it all.

I agree. I have also bought the D without a lot of researching and I have trusted the advertisement and my dealer. So I didn´t know anything about the AIR problems and AIR was the big reason to buy the D. So this was a big disappointment. Now the next disappointment are the delays solving the problem (or the Dialog solution for the expert line) and the handling of Devialet with this facts. For the moment I am not sure what to do.
I don't think your post is negative, I would say it is very balanced in fact. Thinking about your "I have no idea how Devialet get away with it" comment, well AIR was at one time a £1000 option with the D170. If you bought a stand alone streamer for £1000 that didn't work, you would take it back and demand a refund. In fact I'm a little surprised that our more legal minded friends in the USA haven't started a class action.

There was some signs of hope a couple of months back, with reports that Devialet knew how to solve the AIR issues, together with the beta releases of AIR etc. it's gone a bit quiet recently though.....

To be fair, I'm getting reasonable results with AIR now, but this has involved a few tweaks to my PC, with sod all feedback or guidance from Devialet. ......and I'd almost forgotten that I have bought a Dialog. Although we've all had correspondence from Devilaet, apologising for the fact that the Dialog's we bought at a time when Devialet stated that Expert compatibility was coming soon won't in fact be of any use until 2016. We've all had that apologetic email haven't we? Maybe not.

Anyway, rant over, and I must say my set up is sounding rather good, especially since I've started running 7.1.3.
(23-Jun-2015, 21:02)midi Wrote:
(23-Jun-2015, 18:55)Womaz Wrote: Well here are my thoughts after owning my 200 for just over 4 months, warts and all.

I agree. I have also bought the D without a lot of researching and I have trusted the advertisement and my dealer. So I didn´t know anything about the AIR problems and AIR was the big reason to buy the D. So this was a big disappointment. Now the next disappointment are the delays solving the problem (or the Dialog solution for the expert line) and the handling of Devialet with this facts. For the moment I am not sure what to do.

There is very little we can do now i am afraid other than wait for them to sort the AIR issues or wait for Dialog
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(23-Jun-2015, 21:46)Confused Wrote: I don't think your post is negative, I would say it is very balanced in fact.  Thinking about your "I have no idea how Devialet get away with it" comment, well AIR was at one time a £1000 option with the D170.  If you bought a stand alone streamer for £1000 that didn't work, you would take it back and demand a refund.  In fact I'm a little surprised that our more legal minded friends in the USA haven't started a class action.

There was some signs of hope a couple of months back, with reports that Devialet knew how to solve the AIR issues, together with the beta releases of AIR etc.  it's gone a bit quiet recently though.....

To be fair, I'm getting reasonable results with AIR now, but this has involved a few tweaks to my PC,  with sod all feedback or guidance from Devialet.  ......and I'd almost forgotten that I have bought a Dialog.  Although we've all had correspondence from Devilaet, apologising for the fact that the Dialog's we bought at a time when Devialet stated that Expert compatibility was coming soon won't in fact be of any use until 2016.  We've all had that apologetic email haven't we?  Maybe not.

Anyway, rant over, and I must say my set up is sounding rather good, especially since I've started running 7.1.3.

So now it is 2016 Sad

I have just had a night of AIR, when i take the laptop in the same room and do not use it for anything else at all it seems to work fine.
Tonight I put the new Florence album on via AIR and it sounded sublime. Neighbours out so the volume got cranked. On the track St Jude I had goose bumps all over my body......amazing.
I will have a dedicated AIR listening session at least once per week from now on.....it reminds me why i bought the 200.
Nothing we could do? I was thinking of taking the Eurostar to Paris, with a view the kicking Mr Calmel up the arse. Other forum members could come along to take a photograph of this event, in true Farther Ted style.
The thing that amazes me, in this discussion, and also in other discussion threads, is the lack of support given by some dealers - given the price of even the basic Devialet.  I would have thought that dealers taking so much money would provide some support - at least make sure their product is working for their customer.  Or is it that I was exceptionally lucky - my dealer not only delivered my Devialet, but also assisted me in setting it up - and making tweaks to ensure that it was working before  he left.  I have had a few subsequent questions for which he has always had an answer.
As a devialet dealer, there is no way i would sell an amp without going to the persons house and setting it up!

Firstly, i wouldnt want someone inexperienced to set it up and fudge something accidentally - then they talk the product down to others

secondly, these professional solutions should never just be sold to people and thats the end of it! its all part of the service that makes a dealer a good dealer!
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Completeluxury, I salute you. Keep it up.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Where did you find the 200 for 6K?