Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 220 remote control issue
As a former owner of a D200 and now a D220, I have always liked the physical remote control.  I recall the silky movement of the volume control for the D200 remote.  That's why I was surprised at the volume control for the remote for the D220, which doesn't twirl as easily and actually has almost a bump as I twirl it.  It does work but it doesn't feel right.  So, should I ask Devialet in France to replace it?  On the other hand, I have seen a YouTube video produced for Devialet that shows how to disassemble the remote and apply alcohol to some of the contact points.  Should I try that as a first step, assuming it might need some cleaning?  That would be strange as it's new but perhaps it's the first thing to try...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I only have long time experience with the 'old' remote for my 250, it is a pleasure to use. The 'new' remotes I've tried in shops (for 170/200/220) have all been a little rough and felt sort of 'cheap' compared to my 250 (D-Premier) remote. Maybe you where lucky with the remote you had for the 200 and you now have a 'normal' one? You should absolutely complain to Devialet. The volume wheel ought to be smooth. Opening the remote per the video instruction might give you a clue as to what causes the problem.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
The remote for my original D120 became quite 'gritty' at one time. I took it to the dealer who agreed it was bad, and replaced it on the spot. That would have been... 2015 or so. I don't think there was as much info about remotes or cleaning them. It is possible that a bit of debris got in and is giving you a bump in the twirl. Possibly try the clean approach first.

I'm not 100% on this but it is my memory that the 120 remote turned more easily than the remote (new or rebuilt or edited) that came back after the 220 upgrade. It is smooth still but stiffer in turning resistance.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(08-May-2019, 15:51)ogs Wrote: I only have long time experience with the 'old' remote for my 250, it is a pleasure to use. The 'new' remotes I've tried in shops (for 170/200/220) have all been a little rough and felt sort of 'cheap' compared to my 250 (D-Premier) remote. Maybe you where lucky with the remote you had for the 200 and you now have a 'normal' one? You should absolutely complain to Devialet. The volume wheel ought to be smooth. Opening the remote per the video instruction might give you a clue as to what causes the problem.
Thanks ogs.  I'll open it up and see what I find as a first step.  It's frustrating 'cause I recall how smoothly the volume control worked on my D200.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(08-May-2019, 17:20)Damon Wrote: The remote for my original D120 became quite 'gritty' at one time. I took it to the dealer who agreed it was bad, and replaced it on the spot. That would have been... 2015 or so. I don't think there was as much info about remotes or cleaning them. It is possible that a bit of debris got in and is giving you a bump in the twirl. Possibly try the clean approach first.

I'm not 100% on this but it is my memory that the 120 remote turned more easily than the remote (new or rebuilt or edited) that came back after the 220 upgrade. It is smooth still but stiffer in turning resistance.

Damon, the 220 remote is not silky smooth.  It's a bit rough as it turns.  As I mentioned in a related post, I'll open it up per the Devialet-sponsored video and see whether I can spot any issue.
(08-May-2019, 21:43)Flashman Wrote: Damon, the 220 remote is not silky smooth.  It's a bit rough as it turns.  As I mentioned in a related post, I'll open it up per the Devialet-sponsored video and see whether I can spot any issue.

I just checked my remote again. I think that, on balance, it is not as smooth as the original D120 remote was. It is not exactly rough, but there is a bit more... texture to the feel of the knob. That feel is more apparent when spinning it very quickly; moving it slowly, the feel of non-smoothness(?) is less apparent. Could you take it to a store and compare it to another remote, in a showroom?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
For what it's worth, I've seen the same trend: the remote that came with my original 170 had a nice feel to it - there were detents but they felt very "even" and didn't detract from the smoothness. When the unit went to Devialet to be upgraded to a 440 Pro, the remote that came back definitely felt as though it had a more grainy feel, and that was repeated when the amp was upgraded with the Core Infinity board. The rotary knob felt both stiffer and "rougher". I'm pretty sure Devialet changed the internals of the remote control at each upgrade - they did insist on having it sent back both times.

Incidentally, I don't think the remote control was ever as smooth and nicely weighted as one supplied with the 250/1000.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The knob is covered with rubber around the ball bearings. Unfortunately, the rubber also grinds laterally on the ball bearings, so it is a little stiff. In addition, the ball bearings leave dents in the rubber over time, causing jerks in the rotary motion. Better than rubber would be e.g. TEFLON been.
I have just sent a new remote control for repair, extremely stiff and jerky.
(11-May-2019, 08:05)Ascot Wrote: The knob is covered with rubber around the ball bearings. Unfortunately, the rubber also grinds laterally on the ball bearings, so it is a little stiff. In addition, the ball bearings leave dents in the rubber over time, causing jerks in the rotary motion. Better than rubber would be e.g. TEFLON been.
I have just sent a new remote control for repair, extremely stiff and jerky.
@Ascot Perhaps what you were experiencing is what is wrong with my remote.  Will see whether I can get it repaired.
I've experienced the same thing with my 140. I actually thought it was defective when I received my (otherwise pristine) amp last summer, and sent the remote back to my dealer who shipped it to France to be "fixed." It was delivered back more or less feeling the same. Very disappointing.