Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 220 remote control issue
I had issues of excessive battery usage of my Remote for my 440-Pro as well as the Volume knob being 'gritty' and not silk smooth. I sent my Remote from the US to France at my expense and after 1 month of wait, received it back. The Volume knob is still gritty and appears that they fixed the battery excessive consumption issue. But they left the Volume dial the way it was ...

Definitely looks like Devialet workmanship has drastically deteriorated !! And Yes, I am terribly disappointed !! These days, they use a 3rd Party Customer Care Centre located somewhere in Australia and on the overall, am just pi**ed-off with this sort of repair work.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Same here. The remote with my 120 was firm and smooth and with the 220 CI upgrade is instead lumpy, bumpy and grainy. Why couldn’t they just have let me keep my original remote? Certainly not as enjoyable as before, and feels cheap to use. Has anyone successfully followed the YouTube video to any success? Please share the link as well.
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY
(14-May-2019, 04:11)Rocketmannequin Wrote: Same here.  The remote with my 120 was firm and smooth and with the 220 CI upgrade is instead lumpy, bumpy and grainy.  Why couldn’t they just have let me keep my original remote?   Certainly not as enjoyable as before, and feels cheap to use.  Has anyone successfully followed the YouTube video to any success?  Please share the link as well.
I never had any problems like you describe with my remote, even when it came back after the CI upgrade

Here is the link to the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/hRwBMqYedZQ

I would think that the grittiness must be coming from the interface between the spline on the inside of the volume knob and the small white cog. Try to give this as good a clean as possible and see what muck you get out from between the splines.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(14-May-2019, 04:16)Axel Wrote:
(14-May-2019, 04:11)Rocketmannequin Wrote: Same here.  The remote with my 120 was firm and smooth and with the 220 CI upgrade is instead lumpy, bumpy and grainy.  Why couldn’t they just have let me keep my original remote?   Certainly not as enjoyable as before, and feels cheap to use.  Has anyone successfully followed the YouTube video to any success?  Please share the link as well.
I never had any problems like you describe with my remote, even when it came back after the CI upgrade

Here is the link to the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/hRwBMqYedZQ

I would think that the grittiness must be coming from the interface between the spline on the inside of the volume knob and the small white cog. Try to give this as good a clean as possible and see what muck you get out from between the splines.
Axel, I believe the issue at hand is that the remotes are new, so there shouldn't be any muck in them.  I think that Devialet must have done something in the manufacturing process to reduce costs and, unfortunately, it has given the remotes a rather pedestrian feel.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I had the same issue, on multiple remotes (Expert 140/210 Pro) during last 2 years.
I believe that YouTube movie (https://youtu.be/hRwBMqYedZQ) is made using an older remote design. Movement sensor now is not mechanical, but it is optical.
I detect the issue cause, and also manage to improve the situation. Still, it is not perfect, but it is better.

There are two causes, both relating to the knob (please see the attached picture):
- [main] Bad manufacturing quality and finishing for rubber ring (burrs). Also, possible dent due to long time storage.
- [secondary] Weak seal/safety for screwing plastic ring on knob.

Steps to perform:

1. Dismount the knob from the remote (4 screws with metal rings).
  2. Remove safety (yellow scotch).
  3. Unscrew the plastic ring from the knob. Don't pull it, but UNSCREW it!
  4. Remove the rubber ring from the knob. Make sure to remember the rubber ring position (it is not symmetrical)!
  5. Perform finishing and cleaning of plastic ring, leaving a smooth edge and no burrs.
  6. Perform finishing and cleaning of rubber ring, leaving a smooth edge and no burrs.
  7. Mount the rubber ring back on the knob. Make sure it is in the same position (it is not symmetrical)!
  8. Screw the plastic ring back on the knob. Don't push it, but SCREW it! Make sure it's tight.
  9. Put a new safety (scotch), but much bigger than the original one (I used 4 pieces).
  10. Mount the knob back (4 screws with metal rings). Optional: grease the contact area between screws and metal rings. Make sure you don't grease the exterior or the metal rings!
  11. Make sure everything you touched here above is clean.
I didn't manage to fix the dent due to long time storage...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(14-May-2019, 20:12)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: I had the same issue, on multiple remotes (Expert 140/210 Pro) during last 2 years.
I believe that YouTube movie (https://youtu.be/hRwBMqYedZQ) is made using an older remote design. Movement sensor now is not mechanical, but it is optical.
I detect the issue cause, and also manage to improve the situation. Still, it is not perfect, but it is better.

There are two causes, both relating to the knob (please see the attached picture):
- [main] Bad manufacturing quality and finishing for rubber ring (burrs). Also, possible dent due to long time storage.
- [secondary] Weak seal/safety for screwing plastic ring on knob.

Steps to perform:

1. Dismount the knob from the remote (4 screws with metal rings).
  2. Remove safety (yellow scotch).
  3. Unscrew the plastic ring from the knob. Don't pull it, but UNSCREW it!
  4. Remove the rubber ring from the knob. Make sure to remember the rubber ring position (it is not symmetrical)!
  5. Perform finishing and cleaning of plastic ring, leaving a smooth edge and no burrs.
  6. Perform finishing and cleaning of rubber ring, leaving a smooth edge and no burrs.
  7. Mount the rubber ring back on the knob. Make sure it is in the same position (it is not symmetrical)!
  8. Screw the plastic ring back on the knob. Don't push it, but SCREW it! Make sure it's tight.
  9. Put a new safety (scotch), but much bigger than the original one (I used 4 pieces).
  10. Mount the knob back (4 screws with metal rings). Optional: grease the contact area between screws and metal rings. Make sure you don't grease the exterior or the metal rings!
  11. Make sure everything you touched here above is clean.
I didn't manage to fix the dent due to long time storage...
This may help!  Thanks for the very clear directions! Big Grin
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
That’s an excellent write up!

I found the same remote difference when I opened mine up.

I cleaned it as per the YouTube video, but also spread a tiny amount of NarkOX oil around the rubber ring:

https://www.narkedat90.com/narkox-oil-ox...x-oil.html

This stuff is used on the rubber seals of my Kubi scuba dryglove system, as it doesn’t contain any chemicals that damage the seals...if it’s good enough for that sort of use, then my thinking is that it’s good enough for a remote control!

Whilst not perfect, it’s significantly better and feels a lot more ‘premium’.

Cheers,

Nick