Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet AIR working (mostly) on QNAP virtual server...and a few questions
That sounds like a very neat set-up, Axel. Does the HS251+ run fairly cool with the WD Red drives? I expect it's pretty much silent, yes?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(30-Jan-2016, 17:12)thumb5 Wrote: That sounds like a very neat set-up, Axel.  Does the HS251+ run fairly cool with the WD Red drives?  I expect it's pretty much silent, yes?

Hi Thumb,
The drives are silent enough to be in my rack. Temps after the NAS being on for 8 hours are:

Cheers,

Al.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(29-Jan-2016, 07:22)markush Wrote: Why don't you use JRiver on your QNAP NAS?
This has been released recently and provides the best audio performance. You are also able to play any (high res) format.

That is a great idea and does actually work...but I'm sold on ROON.  The music discovery experience and interface is better than anything I have ever used.  

I ended up purchasing a NUC, the Intel 5i5RYK, which is the slim form factor variant.  I installed 16GB of RAM on the NUC and a Samsung EVO 250GB M2.SSD.  The NUC is running ROONServer and AIR on Win10 64 bit.  Connections from the D200 and NUC are via ethernet to a router.  The QNAP storing the music is also wired to the router.  I downgraded the QNAP to it's stock 4GB ram specification and used the 8 GBx2 DIMMs in the NUC instead.

Firstly, the NUC is absurdly quick with absolutely zero lag interfacing with ROON over wi-fi.  Music plays instantaneously and library/TIDAL browsing is slick.  I've had it playing overnight with a variety of file formats including DSD and high res FLAC.  No issues so far but, knowing AIR, that could change at any moment.  

Thank you to all for the advice on setup, particularly to Gary who gave me the hope that this setup MIGHT work for AIR.
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2
El_Duderino, you're most welcomed. The more of us keep trying will enable us to find a more reliable AIR implementation. Yes, it is not perfect but 99.5% of the time, NUC/Win10/AIR/ROON combination is working great.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(31-Jan-2016, 00:43)hk6230 Wrote: El_Duderino, you're most welcomed. The more of us keep trying will enable us to find a more reliable AIR implementation. Yes, it is not perfect but 99.5% of the time, NUC/Win10/AIR/ROON combination is working great.

Just an update for all.  The NUC-Roon-AIR combination seems rock solid in terms of stability.  I've had one instance where playback of a high resolution file stopped in the last two weeks.  Otherwise, it has been faultless streaming of redbook FLAC, high res FLAC, and DSD.  There have never been any white noise episodes using the NUC.  

At this point, I think I can suggest an Intel i5 (or better) NUC running Windows 10 as a potential foundation for a working AIR solution.  Of course, and as always, YMMV as there are other factors including the integrity of your network.  But, overall, I have a feeling this solution could work for many...
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2
(14-Feb-2016, 02:21)El_Duderino Wrote: Just an update for all.  The NUC-Roon-AIR combination seems rock solid in terms of stability.  I've had one instance where playback of a high resolution file stopped in the last two weeks.

Don't say it. That's usually the moment it's gonna crash anytime soon... Big Grin
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(14-Feb-2016, 08:50)Cylob Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 02:21)El_Duderino Wrote: Just an update for all.  The NUC-Roon-AIR combination seems rock solid in terms of stability.  I've had one instance where playback of a high resolution file stopped in the last two weeks.

Don't say it. That's usually the moment it's gonna crash anytime soon... Big Grin

LOL.  Too right...I thought my virtualization setup was working well which was the case until I publicly declared it...and then it all went to sh**.
(24-Jan-2016, 04:40)hk6230 Wrote: W, welcome to Devialetchat and I'm glad you are trying out AIR, too. My NUC is an Intel 5i5 with 8GB RAM running Win10 and Roon. Like you, I have my Le200 and NUC connected to a router directly. I set Roon's Audio to use Exclusive and Event-driven mode, Diable volume control, Max Sample Rate (PCM) Disabled, Resync Delay 0ms, DSD over PCM (DoP), Max DSD Sample Rate Disabled. AIR delay is set at 1000ms. I use AIR-ETH for Roon playback. My music is on my QNAP TS-212P+ in a different room.

With the above setting, all music files to 24/192 and DSD64 can be played without any problem.

I do occasionally stream Spotify from my Win10 tablet (Atom-based and only 2GB RAM) using AIR-wifi to my Le200 and no issue, too.

Hello guys, i recently bought devialet 120 and try to find out what this machine can do. Maybe someone here can / would like to help me?  Blush

Having all the music on Qnap TS-212, incl. 24/192 and DSD64, is it possible to play from QNAP directly via USB on Le120? Should i have a special streaming client? (now i use twonky on Qnap and stream as UPnP to Naim NDX and then via digital input to Le120, but /192 is the limit on this way because NDX goes not over 192). What else should I have? and any particular settings?

Thanks for any help or suggestions Smile
Devialet 120, Naim NDX, Clearaudio Performance DC, Horn Manufaktur Allegro NT+Rondo; QNAP TS-212, Foobar2000
(10-Mar-2016, 12:04)AntonG Wrote: Hello guys, i recently bought devialet 120 and try to find out what this machine can do. Maybe someone here can / would like to help me?  Blush

Having all the music on Qnap TS-212, incl. 24/192 and DSD64, is it possible to play from QNAP directly via USB on Le120? Should i have a special streaming client? (now i use twonky on Qnap and stream as UPnP to Naim NDX and then via digital input to Le120, but /192 is the limit on this way because NDX goes not over 192). What else should I have? and any particular settings?

Finally i got an answer to this topic from Devialet support, look at this below [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: angry.gif] 

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...from-a-NAS

Customer care team
I'm sorry this is a misunderstanding, we need to make a correction on the website content you just shown me because in reality you can stream from your NAS, only if you connect your NAS to a computer, and you connect the computer on the Devialet

typically french... [Image: shy.gif]

in this way this post can be closed until Devialet will perform some homework...
Devialet 120, Naim NDX, Clearaudio Performance DC, Horn Manufaktur Allegro NT+Rondo; QNAP TS-212, Foobar2000
(11-Mar-2016, 11:55)AntonG Wrote:
(10-Mar-2016, 12:04)AntonG Wrote: Hello guys, i recently bought devialet 120 and try to find out what this machine can do. Maybe someone here can / would like to help me?  Blush

Finally i got an answer to this topic from Devialet support, look at this below [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: angry.gif] 

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...from-a-NAS

Customer care team
I'm sorry this is a misunderstanding, we need to make a correction on the website content you just shown me because in reality you can stream from your NAS, only if you connect your NAS to a computer, and you connect the computer on the Devialet

typically french... [Image: shy.gif]

in this way this post can be closed until Devialet will perform some homework...

Hi Anton,

As you've discovered, Devialet support is total crap.  You'll have better luck seeking answers on this forum.

The QNAP-212 is fairly underpowered and is not particularly designed for anything beyond basic NAS functionality.  I think you will encounter limitations due to processor and cache bottlenecks when it comes to decoding higher resolution files on the QNAP.  Having said that, you could try to install JRiver Media Center QPKG on the QNAP and point it to your music.  I am uncertain whether the QNAP-212 supports USB audio out.  If it does have this functionality, you could try a direct connection to the Devialet.  However, the QNAP, being a "noisy" environment -- in terms of electrical noise and insulation -- will probably be less than ideal from a sound quality perspective when directly connected to the Devialet.

The superior alternative, in my view, from both a user experience and sound quality perspective would be to purchase an Intel NUC.  Both the 5th generation i5 versions seem to work fine based on my (limited) experience and the more extensive experience of others on this forum.  You can then install Windows 10 on the NUC along with Devialet AIR.  The NUC would connect via ethernet to your router, as would the Devialet and the QNAP.  

The software for music library navigation would be installed on the NUC which has several orders of magnitude greater processing power than the QNAP.  JRiver is one option.  Another would be to install ROON server software on the NUC and point it to your music collection on the QNAP.  You can then use a tablet (Android, iOS, or Windows) to interface via wi-fi with the NUC to control the music software in an elegant, wire-free fashion.  Music would be played back via Devialet AIR which, according to many, is potentially the finest audio quality achievable through the Devialet. 

Hope this helps.