Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Gold Delay (& strategic thoughts on the company overall)
Devialet has an almost incredible ability to over-promise and under-deliver.

I can't imagine they could do worse if they were trying.

-They announced that pre-orders for Devialet Gold would start July 1st (in several print magazines). NO ONE was expecting them (the leaks were all their own staff), so they didn't need to announce if they weren't ready.

-They they announced that product would start shipping by Bastille Day. They told US dealers to tell people the same.

-It's July 18th and the "Buy Now" still redirects to an email address collection.

-Dealer just told me that ship dates have moved to "end of the month" ship date, but neither of us actually believe it.

It's crazy. Why are they f'ing up their reputation for no good reason? 

There was NOTHING driving them to announce Gold (zero competitive pressure), and NOTHING driving them to be talking about Cocoon, White Stands, Gecko, or all the other stuff littering the website that you can't actually buy.

I've run product strategy for tech companies for two decades and I'm completely baffled by their decisions.

Best case scenario they froze their own product sales... people contemplating buying silver will wait for Gold and their sales go down.  Worst case scenario they burned even more credibility with existing customers and new alike.

What am I missing???

For a company that has such great technology, they seem to go out of their way to do damage. 

It's both baffling and infuriating. 

Do others feel differently??
I do appreciate your assessment. The difference perhaps is that I am confident of Devialet's technological ability. It's just the execution of it in terms of deadlines that can be improved so I agree with your assessment in that arena. I have had enough dealing with them internally that I am sympathetic to what they are trying to do. They do have good people. But of course, the public can't know that and many won't care.
This is totally accurate. I've no idea why they choose to shoot themselves in the foot constantly and disappoint their customers for no apparent reason. You're absolutely right - there is no logic or planning behind these decisions. If this was a kickstarter they'd be called a scam, yet they can deliver.

Maybe they just think their jobs are too easy and they like to make things more difficult.
I think it is production issues. No one wants to be put in position, when you have to recall sold speakers, it would devastate the PR. In the same moment, investors, current customers and dealers are pushing for the new models of hardware and software.
(19-Jul-2016, 10:43)dmitrek Wrote: I think it is production issues. No one wants to be put in position, when you have to recall sold speakers, it would devastate the PR. In the same moment, investors, current customers and dealers are pushing for the new models of hardware and software.

In that case, as dkoretz said, just don't announce them until you are more confident with your production issues!

All of the other offerings are always late, or unavailable. The Branches, the Geckos, that new pretty tabletop stand… Stop showing people things they can't have, and then disappointing them when you fail to deliver on your promises! If this was once, I would understand, but it seems to be every single product. Learn from your mistakes, Devialet!

People only have so much goodwill, and they seem to be going out of their way to sap it all away for no reason.
(19-Jul-2016, 03:12)MountainGuy Wrote: I do appreciate your assessment.  The difference perhaps is that I am confident of Devialet's technological ability.  It's just the execution of it in terms of deadlines that can be improved so I agree with your assessment in that arena.  I have had enough dealing with them internally that I am sympathetic to what they are trying to do.  They do have good people.  But of course, the public can't know that and many won't care.

I actually think we agree in totality. I wouldn't bother being on this board and buying the product if I didn't think they were technologically amazing.

That's sorta my point though.

When you have such a great product... all you have to do is under-promise and over-deliver and the market will love you.

Instead, they have a tendency to brag beyond what's necessary and over-promise constantly. It's burning credibility points for zero reason.

They sorta remind me of the kid in every high school that bragged constantly, but was deeply insecure. 

I wish they would just be a bit more humble, and a lot less over-committing. It would make them much more likable and it would cost them nothing...
(19-Jul-2016, 12:02)booshtukka Wrote:
(19-Jul-2016, 10:43)dmitrek Wrote: I think it is production issues. No one wants to be put in position, when you have to recall sold speakers, it would devastate the PR. In the same moment, investors, current customers and dealers are pushing for the new models of hardware and software.

In that case, as dkoretz said, just don't announce them until you are more confident with your production issues!

All of the other offerings are always late, or unavailable. The Branches, the Geckos, that new pretty tabletop stand… Stop showing people things they can't have, and then disappointing them when you fail to deliver on your promises! If this was once, I would understand, but it seems to be every single product. Learn from your mistakes, Devialet!

People only have so much goodwill, and they seem to be going out of their way to sap it all away for no reason.

Totally agree. 

Re: investors, dealers, and customers:   I've had venture capitalists and investors driving me to produce a return on their money for my entire adult life (serial entrepreneur).  Unless their investors and dealers are fools... this is NOT the way to actually do that. 

-Goodwill is hard to create and easy to destroy. Over-promising customers is the best way to destroy goodwill.

-Revenue growth comes when you actually sell stuff. It's tough to do that when you are marketing products that customers can't actually buy.

-Profit comes easiest when you sell products to *repeat* customers. The best way to do that is to have your existing customers love you, because you've bear hugged them, LISTENED to them, and made them feel like they were part of the product.

IMO, this is bad executive management, plain and simple.
I totally agree with your assessment. The Devialet brand is falling short in respect and customer service.

I am waiting almost 3 months to have my Phantom replaced. I don't know if this is happening to me because I'm living in Brazil, country that have no support from Devialet brand for products purchased abroad.

They are failing to answer their customers quickly and satisfactorily. We would like to be treated with the same prestige that we have for Devialet brand, so we are always waiting more and the best from them.
At least Devialet is consistent though, aye? They are definitely a process-driven company.

The process is:
1) Promise amazing things that excite many people in all sorts of markets (audiophiles, techies, fashionistas, etc.)
2) Create anticipation through teasing possible customers with a drip of interesting information from multiple sources
3) Deliver enough brilliant features to create positive reaction while withholding enough of what they promised to maintain participation
4) Release updates and new products frequently enough to repeat this cycle, balancing hope, frustration, enjoyment, and anticipation

They're trying to combine the marketing prowess of Apple under Steve Jobs with the market control of the drug cartels: creating demand then balancing supply with demand. They make great use of intermittent reinforcement, as defined in any psychology textbook.
(19-Jul-2016, 18:30)deviousalet Wrote: At least Devialet is consistent though, aye? They are definitely a process-driven company.

The process is:
1) Promise amazing things that excite many people in all sorts of markets (audiophiles, techies, fashionistas, etc.)
2) Create anticipation through teasing possible customers with a drip of interesting information from multiple sources
3) Deliver enough brilliant features to create positive reaction while withholding enough of what they promised to maintain participation
4) Release updates and new products frequently enough to repeat this cycle, balancing hope, frustration, enjoyment, and anticipation

They're trying to combine the marketing prowess of Apple under Steve Jobs with the market control of the drug cartels: creating demand then balancing supply with demand. They make great use of intermittent reinforcement, as defined in any psychology textbook.

I disagree that the strategy is successful.

I'm personally only hanging on because of the tech, and I think many others feels the same way I do:   We like them in spite of how they run their business, not because of it.

If Apple came out with a speaker that matched the audio quality but had Apple level of support/quality behind it, I would abandon the brand in a second.

I'd like to think they are just young and immature as a company, not silly enough to think of this as a playbook.

Toying with your customers doesn't build loyalty. It ensures people will abandon you the moment someone delivers a better product. 

Long-term, you want to build loyalists, not hype.