Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Devialet OdA / D1000 pro battle – V5 vs V6

.pdf   Devialet V5 vs V6 v.01.pdf (Size: 222.04 KB / Downloads: 170,628) -> some first Updates final Version till Friday

Devialet OdA / D1000 pro battle – V5 vs V6

What was originally planned as a casual listening session had become a major event on Saturday and so we started at 8. AM with a tradional Bavarian Weisswurst breakfast to discuss our playlist for the day.
The group finally consisted of 4 +1 participants.
Dieter                 – Head sound recording engineer for the Bavarian broadcasting station
Andreas             – Studied classical musician and composer for film music
Hans                  – Owner of a D250 an some marvelous Magico S5 Mark II
Markus (myself) – liking all sorts of audio equipment and contributing with red wine and vinyl to this test.
Jennifer              – sound recording student, intern – Doing the switching behind the curtain and collecting the notes.

We ended up with defining 60 test tracks from gregorianic chants, via all sorts of Jazz to contemporary classical music.

Test setup:
Jriver 22.034 as source (Linear Power Source, SSD based, all playlist files on local SSD)
Both OdA + D 1000 pro connected via USB
Interconnect and power cables – using the supplied ones from devialet.
Sonus Faber Amati Futura (morning)
Magico V2 (afternoon)
Power leveling done with a bayer dynamic measurement microphone.
Initial finding 1– V6 platform is less sensitive to power source

Although I have a separate line from the fuse box to my listening I am used to disconnect my roof top solar panels if I want to do some serious listening during the day. It really had some negative effect on my OdA as well on any equipment I I tried over the last years. By accident I forgot to disconnect them (don´t tell my wife that I do this anyway) during the pre setup session on Friday and while I could clearly hear this on the OdA it had no audible effect on the D1000pro.
Initial finding 2 – level differences

Both on the Sonus Faber as well as on the Magico speakers we measured that the V6 platform is clearly produces a loader output with the same volume setting. Important to measure these and correct this upfront for our A/B blind tests.
Conclusion

Don´t worry I will go into more details on individual listening expiriences including the methodology later this week as soon as my day job will permit. Here s sneak previe on the results (10 is best):

Sound definition:             OdA               D1000pro

High frequency                   7.5                      8,2
Mids                                    7                         7.1
Bass                                    8.2                      9

Both setup were almost similar convincing wtith the V6 platform being more convincing with extremely complex music (Large classical choir performances). We agreed that V6 is slightly more balanced.

Live Character / Emotions                    OdA                   D1000pro

Classical                                                    6                           7,5
Jazz                                                           8                           7.8
Other                                                         7                            8,5

Slight advantage for V6 especially for large stages, many instruments or involving complex recording setups, however V5 on par or better with “Jazz club” atmosphere like settings and low female voices.
(more details later, we will have a webex on Wednesday to discuss these, a lot of notes need to be consolidated)

Interestingly enough V6 seems to be better on low volumes with enhanced microdynamics. Especially in the late evening when we heard vinyl just for fun in a background music like setting, the V6 was producing more emotions and music. The phono input sounded a bit more natural (but this was not on A/B test verified just casual listening)

Was the upgrade worthwhile for me ?

Even though we could not directly compare to the D800, It´s even from the OdA not a subtile but clearly audible positive evolution. As the OdA is already a phantastic amplifier sounding marvelous it is not rendering the old platform obsolete but it am positively surprised about the development.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
Wonderful work and write-up Markus!  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks for sharing, very interesting!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(17-Oct-2016, 10:59)GuillaumeB Wrote: Wonderful work and write-up Markus!  Smile

Guillaume

+1

Finally someone who have done a really good job comparing the old vs. the new technology. 

Now a 400 owner like me just has to figure out if this applys to 400 vs 440 aswell and decide if the upgrade is the right way to go.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Makus

Thanks for taking the time to post it is very interesting. Wink
Looking forward to individual listing experiences being posted.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(17-Oct-2016, 11:30)octaviars Wrote:
(17-Oct-2016, 10:59)GuillaumeB Wrote: Wonderful work and write-up Markus!  Smile

Guillaume

+1

Finally someone who have done a really good job comparing the old vs. the new technology. 

Now a 400 owner like me just has to figure out if this applys to 400 vs 440 aswell and decide if the upgrade is the right way to go.

And don't forget that the O d'A was already a considerable improvement over the 800. This would suggest that the 800 to 1000 PRO is a big jump... my guess is that 400 to 440 will be very similar.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks Markus. Now I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas until the Od'A to 1000Pro update Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(17-Oct-2016, 11:51)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

+1

And don't forget that the O d'A was already a considerable improvement over the 800. This would suggest that the 800 to 1000 PRO is a big jump... my guess is that 400 to 440 will be very similar.

Guillaume

I sure hope that this is the case, I know that there has been comparisons 400 vs 440 here in Sweden but nothing so serious as this test. 

A dealer saying a new product that they sell is better than the one before is not something that I care so much about, this test done by users of Devialet or people with great knowledge about music is much more valide to me.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(17-Oct-2016, 11:51)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

+1

Guillaume

I would say that the move form 800 to 1000 Pro is basically like moving a class up, rather than some kind of minor improvements that you might expect from a 'Mk II' model.  There have also been one or two other favourable reports from others over the last few days, regarding the the 800 to 1000 Pro improvements.  I guess the same regarding the 400 to 440 Pro, but I am also guessing that there will be a few actual user reports of this soon.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Wow, I never expect the V6 to pull away, blind testing does not lie. Thanks Markus, I am now looking forward to the upgrade.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E