Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Phantom Gold // Reactor 900
After countless emails and attempts to resolve ongoing problems with lip sync and other network issues with my Devialet Gold and Phantom Reactor speakers I have given up. Devialet literally said they will not assist and if I don't like it I should contact their legal department. So... after loving their product for the last 3 years I am now completely alienated as a customer. Take a look at the email excerpt below which was my final request for resolution after 18 months of back and forth communications resulted in nothing.

Quote:Hi Océane

I've kept communications to a minimum the last few weeks as I know the whole of Europe is in lockdown with Covid. I hope you are well and safe?

I am still experiencing ongoing problems with my Devialet products. My summary is below:

Phantom Gold:
  1. I have now connected this speaker directly to my Samsung TV by means of a Chord Company Lite Optical cable.

1. The connection is now at least reliable and there is no lip sync problem as there was previously.
    2. There is no ability to control the volume of the speaker through the TV remote, the only way to control the volume is using my phone with the Devialet app. Surely this is not correct?
    3. When I turn off the Samsung TV there is a loud electrical sound from the Phantom Gold speaker a few seconds later. Surely this is not good?
Phantom Reactor (900 pair):
  1. As I have the Phantom Gold now connected directly to my Samsung TV I have moved these Reactors to my home office to use as speakers for my computer.

2. I have been experiencing a number of problems in their connectivity:

1. When connected to a device with a Chord Company Lite Optical / Mini Toslink cable from one speaker to a sound source I have intermittent problems with one of the speakers stopping to play any sound. When I view the app the speaker is "missing".
    2. When connected to my computer or iPhone to play via Bluetooth or Airplay I experience the same problem as above where both speakers play initially, but eventually either one or both speakers stop playing completely. There are a few scenario's here:

1. Scenario 1: both speakers stop playing but are still visible through Airplay and on the Devialet app.
        1. While playing iTunes Airplay from either my Macbook or iPhone both speakers will play for a short amount of time, and then without warning they will stop playing. When I go into iTunes on the device the speakers are still connected and the track / song is still playing but there is no sound coming from the speakers. When I open the Devialet app both speakers are showing as connected and when I open them and click on their respective Left / Right speaker icon they each make the "awake" sound showing that they are online and supposedly connected.
      2. Scenario 2: one speaker stops playing but both speakers are still visible through Airplay and on the Devialet app.
        1. This is the most strange situation and is happening virtually every time I try to play music through these speakers. In fact for the last three days I have not been able to get sound to play from both speakers at the same time. While playing iTubes Airplay from either my Macbook or iPhone only one speaker plays sound / music. When I go onto iTunes on the device BOTH of the speakers are still connected but the track / song only plays from the left speaker. When I open the Devialet app both speakers are showing as connected, and even more strange is that if I press the volume controls on the speaker that is not playing any sound it controls the speaker that is playing sound. So in fact the speakers are both connected and communicating, but there is only sound playing from one.
          1. I have tried powering off the speakers and powering them back on - no improvement.
          2. I have tried powering off only one speaker and powering it back on while continuing to play music - no improvement.
          3. I have ensured I have the latest firmware update for all products - all up to date and no improvement.
          4. I have deleted and re-added the speakers on my app - no improvement.
So... without trying to be super negative again I now have one Devialet Gold which only works when plugged directly into my TV, it does not function reliably on bluetooth or airplay. I have two Phantom Reactors which do not work reliably when one is plugged into the source directly, they also do not work reliably on Bluetooth or Airplay. None of the speakers have any volume controls that work when plugged into a source using the Optical cable. The Phantom Reactors still do not connect with the Phantom Gold. Additionally I have wasted $$ on a device which is now redundant (Dialog), I have spent $$ on high end optical cables, I have spent $$ on high end networking equipment (new routers, high speed cables etc), I have spent $$ on professional network installers / technicians, all of which have resulted in no solution to the problems I have and continue to have with the Devialet products.

Please can we try and come up with a solution for these problems as it has now been many emails and calls and a year of problems without any real solution.I cannot connect my Phantom Reactors to my TV with an Optical cable as there is only one optical input which means the other Phantom Reactor is unreliable and often does not play sound. Additionally there is no volume control from the TV remote.

I cannot Airplay my Phantom Reactors to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Airplay connection is not reliable.

I cannot Bluetooth my Phantom Reactors to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Bluetooth connection is not reliable.

I cannot connect my Phantom Reactors to my Phantom Gold as the firmware is not yet available.

I cannot Airplay my Phantom Gold to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Airplay connection is not reliable.
I cannot Bluetooth my Phantom Gold to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Bluetooth connection is not reliable.

It is clear that there are major connection problems with ALL of these products and the only way to reliably play them from any source is using an Optical cable. This however results in a user only being able to play a single speaker as there are not sufficient optical outputs from the device to connect all speakers.

What is your solution? Let's please get this resolved once and for all?

The reply to the above from Devialet was to "trouble shoot". I have no idea what trouble shooting they imagine can be done as I have detailed everything and have worked through every possible problem.

The above has been ongoing since I purchased the speakers, and the response from Devialet was pretty much "take it or leave it".

Is this normal?
(21-Dec-2020, 15:29)rush_sports_ Wrote: After countless emails and attempts to resolve ongoing problems with lip sync and other network issues with my Devialet Gold and Phantom Reactor speakers I have given up. Devialet literally said they will not assist and if I don't like it I should contact their legal department. So... after loving their product for the last 3 years I am now completely alienated as a customer. Take a look at the email excerpt below which was my final request for resolution after 18 months of back and forth communications resulted in nothing.

I've kept communications to a minimum the last few weeks as I know the whole of Europe is in lockdown with Covid. I hope you are well and safe?

I am still experiencing ongoing problems with my Devialet products. My summary is below:

Phantom Gold:
  1. I have now connected this speaker directly to my Samsung TV by means of a Chord Company Lite Optical cable.

1. The connection is now at least reliable and there is no lip sync problem as there was previously.
    2. There is no ability to control the volume of the speaker through the TV remote, the only way to control the volume is using my phone with the Devialet app. Surely this is not correct?
    3. When I turn off the Samsung TV there is a loud electrical sound from the Phantom Gold speaker a few seconds later. Surely this is not good?
  1. As I have the Phantom Gold now connected directly to my Samsung TV I have moved these Reactors to my home office to use as speakers for my computer.

1. When connected to a device with a Chord Company Lite Optical / Mini Toslink cable from one speaker to a sound source I have intermittent problems with one of the speakers stopping to play any sound. When I view the app the speaker is "missing".
    2. When connected to my computer or iPhone to play via Bluetooth or Airplay I experience the same problem as above where both speakers play initially, but eventually either one or both speakers stop playing completely. There are a few scenario's here:

1. Scenario 1: both speakers stop playing but are still visible through Airplay and on the Devialet app.
        1. While playing iTunes Airplay from either my Macbook or iPhone both speakers will play for a short amount of time, and then without warning they will stop playing. When I go into iTunes on the device the speakers are still connected and the track / song is still playing but there is no sound coming from the speakers. When I open the Devialet app both speakers are showing as connected and when I open them and click on their respective Left / Right speaker icon they each make the "awake" sound showing that they are online and supposedly connected.
      2. Scenario 2: one speaker stops playing but both speakers are still visible through Airplay and on the Devialet app.
        1. This is the most strange situation and is happening virtually every time I try to play music through these speakers. In fact for the last three days I have not been able to get sound to play from both speakers at the same time. While playing iTubes Airplay from either my Macbook or iPhone only one speaker plays sound / music. When I go onto iTunes on the device BOTH of the speakers are still connected but the track / song only plays from the left speaker. When I open the Devialet app both speakers are showing as connected, and even more strange is that if I press the volume controls on the speaker that is not playing any sound it controls the speaker that is playing sound. So in fact the speakers are both connected and communicating, but there is only sound playing from one.
          1. I have tried powering off the speakers and powering them back on - no improvement.
          2. I have tried powering off only one speaker and powering it back on while continuing to play music - no improvement.
          3. I have ensured I have the latest firmware update for all products - all up to date and no improvement.
So... without trying to be super negative again I now have one Devialet Gold which only works when plugged directly into my TV, it does not function reliably on bluetooth or airplay. I have two Phantom Reactors which do not work reliably when one is plugged into the source directly, they also do not work reliably on Bluetooth or Airplay. None of the speakers have any volume controls that work when plugged into a source using the Optical cable. The Phantom Reactors still do not connect with the Phantom Gold. Additionally I have wasted $$ on a device which is now redundant (Dialog), I have spent $$ on high end optical cables, I have spent $$ on high end networking equipment (new routers, high speed cables etc), I have spent $$ on professional network installers / technicians, all of which have resulted in no solution to the problems I have and continue to have with the Devialet products.

Please can we try and come up with a solution for these problems as it has now been many emails and calls and a year of problems without any real solution.I cannot connect my Phantom Reactors to my TV with an Optical cable as there is only one optical input which means the other Phantom Reactor is unreliable and often does not play sound. Additionally there is no volume control from the TV remote.

I cannot Airplay my Phantom Reactors to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Airplay connection is not reliable.

I cannot Bluetooth my Phantom Reactors to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Bluetooth connection is not reliable.

I cannot connect my Phantom Reactors to my Phantom Gold as the firmware is not yet available.

I cannot Airplay my Phantom Gold to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Airplay connection is not reliable.
I cannot Bluetooth my Phantom Gold to my Samsung TV, iPhone or Macbook as the Bluetooth connection is not reliable.

It is clear that there are major connection problems with ALL of these products and the only way to reliably play them from any source is using an Optical cable. This however results in a user only being able to play a single speaker as there are not sufficient optical outputs from the device to connect all speakers.

The reply to the above from Devialet was to "trouble shoot". I have no idea what trouble shooting they imagine can be done as I have detailed everything and have worked through every possible problem.

The above has been ongoing since I purchased the speakers, and the response from Devialet was pretty much "take it or leave it".

Is this normal?
Hi rush_sports_

This is an unfortunate situation.  I believe Devialet may be asking you to troubleshoot because some of these issues may be fixable on you side.  I am going to try to point you in the right direction on a couple of these matters, so hope this helps.  I'm not sure what you have tried previously, so this may or may not be helpful.

1. The Samsung Toslink out to the Devialet Golds.  The TV remote would never control the volume with any speaker connected this way because Toslink is a "fixed volume" output. So this is not a Devialet issue.  You need to use the Devialet volume control through the app or the Devialet remote control (the new one is quite good) to change the volume.

2. The noise after the Samsung is turned off.  I believe this would be an issue with Samsung cutting out the signal roughly upon cutting power.  I use Toslink in to my phantoms from various devices (LG and Auralic Aries G1) and have never heard a noise like that.

3. The "missing" speaker.  I had this issue for a time.  It sounds like a serious network problem, not a Devialet problem.  When I had a missing speaker, it was because there were two same-named networks in my house.  The router and WiFi hub were actually competing.  It hadn't come up before and I thought I had turned one of them off previously, but somehow it was back on.  I downloaded a WiFi analysis app, and found out what the problem was.  As soon as I had corrected it by turning one of the networks off, I never had another "missing" speaker problem again.  I think this is where most of your problems are coming from.

4. Airplay and Bluetooth working only on one speaker, I believe this is also a result of your network issue I've outlined in #3. above so I would star there.  If there are still problems, you should try plugging both Phantoms into the same powerbar.  Devialet recommends this and it will at least give you a baseline that they are both working properly.

Let me know if you have any success with these suggestions and if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps!
Roon Core on headless Mac Mini i5 via wifi --> Auralic Aries G1 --> Audioquest Forest Optical --> Devialet Phantom Premiere Classics, stereo pair DOS 2.14.4
First, sorry to hear hear about your problems.
The issue with not being able to control the volume of the optical output with your TV remote is a result of Samsung not implementing adjustable volum on the optical output. It's fixed to 100%.There's nothing Devialet can do about it. It's the same with the static noise, it's your TV emitting it while turning it off. The noise shouldn't be there, so you should contact Samsung for a solution.

A quick fix for the issue with only one optical output from your TV is an optical splitter. It's cheap and would let you distribute the TV sound to all of your speakers. Any Toslink splitter on eBay etc would work. Another solution is to use the Dialog as an optical input. Connect your TV to the Dialog and select the Dialog optical input as source in the app. The Dialog has to be updated to the latest firmware. I don't know if there will be a lipsync problem with the Dialog solution, it might introduce some delay.

So, a couple of questions: Are your speakers connected by ethernet? If not, are the Reactors connected together with an ethernet cable? Which router are you using?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(21-Dec-2020, 16:58)bpo Wrote:
(21-Dec-2020, 15:29)rush_sports_ Wrote: After countless emails and attempts to resolve ongoing problems with lip sync and other network issues with my Devialet Gold and Phantom Reactor speakers I have given up. Devialet literally said they will not assist and if I don't like it I should contact their legal department. So... after loving their product for the last 3 years I am now completely alienated as a customer. Take a look at the email excerpt below which was my final request for resolution after 18 months of back and forth communications resulted in nothing.

Phantom Gold:

Is this normal?
Hi rush_sports_

This is an unfortunate situation.  I believe Devialet may be asking you to troubleshoot because some of these issues may be fixable on you side.  I am going to try to point you in the right direction on a couple of these matters, so hope this helps.  I'm not sure what you have tried previously, so this may or may not be helpful.

1. The Samsung Toslink out to the Devialet Golds.  The TV remote would never control the volume with any speaker connected this way because Toslink is a "fixed volume" output. So this is not a Devialet issue.  You need to use the Devialet volume control through the app or the Devialet remote control (the new one is quite good) to change the volume.

2. The noise after the Samsung is turned off.  I believe this would be an issue with Samsung cutting out the signal roughly upon cutting power.  I use Toslink in to my phantoms from various devices (LG and Auralic Aries G1) and have never heard a noise like that.

3. The "missing" speaker.  I had this issue for a time.  It sounds like a serious network problem, not a Devialet problem.  When I had a missing speaker, it was because there were two same-named networks in my house.  The router and WiFi hub were actually competing.  It hadn't come up before and I thought I had turned one of them off previously, but somehow it was back on.  I downloaded a WiFi analysis app, and found out what the problem was.  As soon as I had corrected it by turning one of the networks off, I never had another "missing" speaker problem again.  I think this is where most of your problems are coming from.

4. Airplay and Bluetooth working only on one speaker, I believe this is also a result of your network issue I've outlined in #3. above so I would star there.  If there are still problems, you should try plugging both Phantoms into the same powerbar.  Devialet recommends this and it will at least give you a baseline that they are both working properly.

Let me know if you have any success with these suggestions and if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps!

Hi bpo, thanks for the quick reply.

1.) Regarding the volume control, I guess I can accept this for Toslink, but surely for bluetooth or airplay connection to devices the remote for the source should be able to control the volume for the speakers? 

2.) Regarding the network, I have done extensive network trouble fixing, including the purchase of a new high end Wifi router which I specifically located within 4' of my Devialet Phantom Gold and Phantom Reactor speakers, this still did not offer a solution. I hired a network and home automation expert to install and further troubleshoot, he tried various frequencies, wifi bandwidths etc, none of this offered a solution.

3.) Further to the above, and on your suggestion to get a splitter, I don't see how this is an acceptable solution given the claims that Devialet make in regards to their speaker networking capabilities.

4.) All of the speakers are specifically plugged into the same powerbar / power source. This too I had to have custom installed by an electrician in an attempt to resolve the problem with the Devialet speakers not playing in sync.
(21-Dec-2020, 18:05)ragwo Wrote: First, sorry to hear hear about your problems.
The issue with not being able to control the volume of the optical output with your TV remote is a result of Samsung not implementing adjustable volum on the optical output. It's fixed to 100%.There's nothing Devialet can do about it. It's the same with the static noise, it's your TV emitting it while turning it off. The noise shouldn't be there, so you should contact Samsung for a solution.

A quick fix for the issue with only one optical output from your TV is an optical splitter. It's cheap and would let you distribute the TV sound to all of your speakers. Any Toslink splitter on eBay etc would work. Another solution is to use the Dialog as an optical input. Connect your TV to the Dialog and select the Dialog optical input as source in the app. The Dialog has to be updated to the latest firmware. I don't know if there will be a lipsync problem with the Dialog solution, it might introduce some delay.

So, a couple of questions: Are your speakers connected by ethernet? If not, are the Reactors connected together with an ethernet cable? Which router are you using?

Hi Ragwo

Thanks for your quick reply. As I mentioned in my reply to bpo, I can somewhat accept the volume control and static noise, but with all of Devialet's claims of multiple speakers playing simultaneously, this really is a problem.

1.) Samsung - I have actually purchased a new Samsung TV due to the problems I experienced as this was literally my last resort. This new TV did not solve any of the problems I have experienced, and both the new and old TVs work with my Dali speakers without any of the problems I experience on the Devialet Phantom speakers.

2.) I have tried connecting the speakers via all possible methods including mini toslink to one of the Phantom Reactors, regular optical directly to the Phantom Gold, ethernet to one of the Phantom Reactors, ethernet to the Phantom Gold, ethernet from one Phantom Reactor to the other, no hard connection and wifi only, and finally bluetooth. All of these connection methods still result in the same problem of sound not being in sync between the speakers.

3.) I am using a Ubiquiti Amplifi router, and as discussed in my previous reply to bpo, I have had a network engineer install this router and try / test all settings including changing the wifi from 2.4 to 5Ghz as well as chanting the channel and the bandwidth. Nothing solved the problem.

4.) Finally, I have used a Dialog previously when I had only the Phantom Gold speakers, this was returned to Devialet on their request, but from my experience I don't believe this had any influence on the problems I have been experiencing.
Thank you for elaborating, seems like you have tried almost everything.

Do you have both drop outs and sync problems when connecting the speakers with ethernet cables? As I understand, you have both lipsync problems with the Reactors and the single Gold Phantom and synchronization problems between the Reactors?

I don't think you can play simultaneously from one source on both the Phantom Gold and the Reactors. With DOS1 it was possible to sync different rooms and play from the same source, but I haven't found that option in the new app.

Depending on the TV, the AirPlay and Bluetooth output volume could be fixed and volume has to be controlled by the Devialet app.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
@rush_sports_ Are you willing to work on "band-aids" to your problems? The reason I ask is that if you're willing, then we can introduce options that will eliminate the use of Devialet software and allow you to use the speakers as simple speakers.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
@rush_sports_
I really think this has something to do with your network as all of your symptoms match that situation IMO. I would simplify your network as much as possible and remove any extra hubs or other internet components to start clean with the modem/hub that your internet provider gave you. There is something interfering in the network. I think this is where you will find your issue. This is just my two cents. I will leave it to other more expert members to help you with more specific solutions.
Roon Core on headless Mac Mini i5 via wifi --> Auralic Aries G1 --> Audioquest Forest Optical --> Devialet Phantom Premiere Classics, stereo pair DOS 2.14.4
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, they are all much appreciated.

1.) I have sync problems with all of the speakers regardless of whether they are connected via ethernet or optical, as well as when they are played over Bluetooth or Wifi / Airplay.

2.) From my extensive troubleshoot with Devialet staff previously they had confirmed that both the Phantom Gold and Phantom Reactor [pair] would play simultaneously using their latest DOS2 firmware update, and this is true for the most part [until the speakers are "lost" or until they go out of sync]

3.) I don't mean to be difficult, but given the cost of the Devialet product and the claims they make in regards to adding multiple speakers and playing from multiple sources I don't believe that it is fair for a consumer to accept a "band-aid" solution. This is both unreliable, inconsistent and inconvenient, and I do not believe is acceptable with "high end" product which Devialet claims to be.

4.) I am 100% certain that the problem is not network related as several hubs / routers have been tried, tested and eliminated. Additionally given that the problem persists when the speakers are connected via ethernet / optical either directly to the source or to eachother should safely eliminate this as a possible cause for the problem.

In short, my feeling is that I have spent the better part of 18 months with product that does not function as it is claimed, and I have gone to extreme measures in my personal capacity, and at my own expense to troubleshoot problems that in my opinion clearly reside in the Devialet product. These problems have persisted from day 1, and continue to today, and my one final request which Devialet refuse to entertain is for them to collect ALL of the Devialet product which I own and inspect, repair, replace or refund. This in my mind is a fair compromise given the extent to which I have gone, at my own expense, to resolve problems experienced with THEIR product.

To date I have, at my expense:
1.) Employed network experts to assess and modict my home network.
2.) Purchased several hundred dollars of high-end optical and ethernet cabling.
3.) Replaced my home router on two occasions, each time for a better // faster // more stable counterpart at a cost of over a thousand dollars.
4.) Replaced the "source" including my Apple TV and Samsung Smart TV.
You have joined the forum for the purpose of venting your anger, which is understandable.

Devialet is not officially represented on the forum. We, as users, help when we can. Not sure what else you are expecting from us?