Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New prices for upgrade programme to Expert Pro with Core Infinity
This is a no-brainer for anyone with a 110/120. I started out with a 110 (couldn't quite stretch the dollars to a 200 - as it was then) but have taken advantage of the upgrade path when it was first offered. My speakers certainly appreciated it!
What does the upgrade bring to the table though ?
I have a D200 and I have Roon Nucleus too so I dont need the streaming facility .
Is there a huge difference in the sound quality? Are there any old threads I can look at to find out.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
What you get with the upgrade is a 220 so a little bit more power with some improvements associated with that, possibly better wifi reception due to an external antenna, Roon Ready capability which lets you stream using Roon's RAAT protocol, and a new 5 year guarantee.

Since you are using Roon you'll see the 220 show up as a Roon Ready endpoint in Roon's audio settings as well as it showing up as an AIR endpoint if you're using an ethernet or wifi input on the 220, and you'll see a bit more information displayed in the Signal Path display in Roon depending on whether you're using the 220's tone controls and/or SAM.

How much benefit the streaming changes offer a Roon user depends on whether you want to use the 220 as a Roon Ready end point or not. If you're currently using AIR and continue to use AIR there is no benefit to them. AIR functions identically with the 220 as it does with the 200. Some have reported better sound quality with the CI board but an element of personal preference is involved in that, as there is also in the issue of RAAT vs. AIR. There is a problem with RAAT over gigabit ethernet connections which has yet to be fixed but that problem does not exist with a 100 Mbps connection or over wifi.

There have been discussions of the benefits in a few threads here. Look at the threads for the 120/22O for early comments on sound quality when they were introduced prior to the CI board becoming available and at the threads about the CI board upgrade for changes in sound quality following the release of the CI board.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(15-Jul-2020, 14:22)David A Wrote: What you get with the upgrade is a 220 so a little bit more power with some improvements associated with that, possibly better wifi reception due to an external antenna, Roon Ready capability which lets you stream using Roon's RAAT protocol, and a new 5 year guarantee.

Since you are using Roon you'll see the 220 show up as a Roon Ready endpoint in Roon's audio settings as well as it showing up as an AIR endpoint if you're using an ethernet or wifi input on the 220, and you'll see a bit more information displayed in the Signal Path display in Roon depending on whether you're using the 220's tone controls and/or SAM.

How much benefit the streaming changes offer a Roon user depends on whether you want to use the 220 as a Roon Ready end point or not. If you're currently using AIR and continue to use AIR there is no benefit to them. AIR functions identically with the 220 as it does with the 200. Some have reported better sound quality with the CI board but an element of personal preference is involved in that, as there is also in the issue of RAAT vs. AIR. There is a problem with RAAT over gigabit ethernet connections which has yet to be fixed but that problem does not exist with a 100 Mbps connection or over wifi.

There have been discussions of the benefits in a few threads here. Look at the threads for the 120/22O for early comments on sound quality when they were introduced prior to the CI board becoming available and at the threads about the CI board upgrade for changes in sound quality following the release of the CI board.

I see the 800 in the room option
The only reason im considering the 1000 is it’s extra power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15-Jul-2020, 14:22)David A Wrote: What you get with the upgrade is a 220 so a little bit more power with some improvements associated with that, possibly better wifi reception due to an external antenna, Roon Ready capability which lets you stream using Roon's RAAT protocol, and a new 5 year guarantee.

How much benefit the streaming changes offer a Roon user depends on whether you want to use the 220 as a Roon Ready end point or not. If you're currently using AIR and continue to use AIR there is no benefit to them. AIR functions identically with the 220 as it does with the 200.  Some have reported better sound quality with the CI board but an element of personal preference is involved in that, as there is also in the issue of RAAT vs. AIR. There is a problem with RAAT over gigabit ethernet connections which has yet to be fixed but that problem does not exist with a 100 Mbps connection or over wifi.

David, your thoughts reawaken my thoughts about the benefits of roon RAAT over roon Air. We discussed this at length previously and my recollection was that there was no conclusion on what is best. We were both in opposite camps at the time. It may be that difference was simply down to the presentation of our ancillary (Speakers) kit. However, with your unintentional promp, I am inclined to repeat the experiment and see if I have changed my mind. roon RAAT OR roon Air. What is the listening preference? It would be good for others to join in. Maybe I should start a new thread?
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
Sound qauality issues aside, one benefit of Roon RAAT (big for me) is that you can sync playback with other endpoints that also support Roon RAAT. That means that I can be playing music in sync to multiple endpoints - i.e. whole house audio. Not gonna do that with AIR unless your whole house is full of Devialets. So I have two other endpoints that are Raspberry Pi based running Ropieee. Those are relatively cheap endpoints and having the ability to sync them all at times is nice.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
@Greg ,

There's a poll on which sounds best at https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Which-so...grated-AIR

It's a bit old now but, ignoring the 15 people who said they didn't bother to A/B test, there were 100 responses which is really neat if you want percentages because the number of people in each group will be identical to the percentage :-)

Basically 22 people preferred AIR, 41 people preferred RAAT, and 21 said they sounded the same, and 16 said "Not sure, they sound similar, maybe depends on what music I am listening to".

That means if you want a "first past the post" result RAAT was the winner but if you believe in preferential voting like we have in Australia it could be either AIR or RAAT because it isn't clear which option the other 37 ended up choosing because you have to select one when playing music from Roon.

There was no option to specify whether you were using ethernet or wifi or what the speed of your ethernet connection was if you were using ethernet. The last responses were in July last year so it's getting old and I have no idea how the numbers stand now.

If you want to start a new thread I'd start a new poll and give different options. I'd ask what method people were using, not what they thought gave the best sound quality, and I'd specify options like RAAT/Ethernet, RAAT/WiFi, AIR/Ethernet and AIR/WiFi so you get a clearer idea of what's going on and maybe even specify different options for RAAT/Gigabit Ethernet and RAAT/100T Ethernet to get an idea of what ethernet users are doing about RAAT. I'd also provide options to find out how many people are using AIR because they prefer the sound, how many prefer RAAT for sound quality but are using AIR because of problems with gigabit ethernet. That kind of poll would give us all a lot more info on how people feel about RAAT vs AIR.

I don't know how many responses a new poll would get. I think the fact that this poll was started on 17 February last year, a few days after the update which gave us RAAT when the question was highly topical, may have contributed to the number of responses and now, when the question is no longer as topical, a new poll may not get as many responses..

@mdconnelly has a good point about RAAT having the advantage of allowing you to play to multiple endpoints and some may prefer RAAT over AIR for that reason. Some people may even swap between using RAAT and AIR because they prefer the sound of AIR and use it when streaming to a single endpoint and use RAAT when they want to stream to multiple endpoints.

Designing the options for a really useful poll that provides a lot of information on how people are streaming from Roon isn't easy. One other thing you would really need to do is to try and prevent people whose Devialet's don't have the CI board and who can only use AIR from voting unless you want to provide another specific option for them because they're using AIR because it's their only streaming option, not because they think it sounds better than RAAT or because they're having problems with RAAT.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
The question if the upgrade is worth the money is a clear „yes“ IMHO. The discussion if Roon Raat is better must be seen together with the new hardware. The streaming quality is clearly better, because the “sharp-s” is now alright, with the 200 it hasn't been. So an improved jitter might be the reason here. Improvement of the sound-stage or call it 3-D was the main difference to me and has moved the 220 into a complete higher class of amplifier.
In Roon the Devialet will switch on automatically and volume adjustment is available, together with an Ipad this is everything I need.
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg
Considering the update when it comes available. When I follow the link in the opening post, it redirect to a page 'soon' to be available.

I also still have a discount upgrade code from Devialet because I bought my twe 200's just before the upgrade to 220Pro was released. Maybe it is still valid. That would be nice.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Goodness, that’s now a substantial US$1,600 less for the 120-> 220 Pro upgrade. I paid US$4,900 for the upgrade back in October 2016. To think that Devialet is offering the same upgrade almost four years later, which seems slightly out of line with the pace or overall technological evolution that one would expect. I have been happy with the Devialet experience due to my rather irrational pursuit of modest audiophilia. However, I wouldn’t pay the same amount for the upgrade today even though the price today is more enticing and can’t help but feeling that they are seeking to maximize this revenue stream based on remaining upgrade units they have to shift. For those of you who recall the discussions back then, keep also in mind that many felt that the remote didn’t feel the same afterwards. Before the dial was smooth and firm, and the version after the upgrade was not nearly the same smooth experience. Interesting offer today about which I’m in two minds. Sound quality wise I loved the 120 from the beginning and didn’t notice much of a change. I did it for the added Roon functionality and the promises of “more to come” as in the repeated promise in their current website, which of course has not materialized.
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY