Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet RS232 Control Utility
Ok. Good point. I will try on the weekend.

So eager to make it work, as it would help me to include it into home automation software, which in turn will be able to listen to harmony remote activities and send out serial commands where necessary.

If this setup works smoothly, Alexa will work, Google home will work, ifttt will work.

I am just waiting for Roon to open open up their API, which is planned for their upcoming release this month. This way I would be also able to command playing g certain playlists or.music
(20-Aug-2014, 19:22)JohnnySix Wrote: "I have written a small experimental GUI application to control my Devialet 120, using VS2013 Express on a MacMini running 64-bit Win8.1 (trying to insert as attachment here...)"

This is very cool. Thanks JohnnySix.  As a software engineer, I truly appreciate what you've put together.  

Congratulations!!!

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
Unfortunately, I've lost the source code for it. But since Jriver started supporting Theater View on the Mac, I haven't been running Windows, so I can't even use my own program anyway. Wouldn't have a clue how to create the same thing for OS X!
I did manage to create a simple Apple script which powers up my Devialet via RS232 when my Media PC (MacMini) boots up. I like my system to boot up and start playing music automatically when I get home.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Hmm, I tried testing today and it is not working. I am sending the commands from the official devialet guide and nothing happens.

I suspect that the cable is not working. Any idea how I could test if the cable is working?

Also, when configuring r232 on devialet did you leave the mode checkboxes empty, or do I need to tick a specific checkbox?
My USB-serial cable has lights that flicker when rs232 traffic goes through it. Mode tick boxes in Configurator are not essential just for sending a command.
Beware that commands are very much Case Sensitive.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I control Devialet for a long time and using Rti remote it works perfect. Devialet has basic 232 commands. It can run one way or 2 way. I use it one way. I don't need a numeric feedback and never understood the need of it.
(12-Jan-2017, 04:31)JohnnySix Wrote: My USB-serial cable has lights that flicker when rs232 traffic goes through it. Mode tick boxes in Configurator are not essential just for sending a command.
Beware that commands are very much Case Sensitive.

Well, my ip2sl device also has lights that Flicker whenever a command is received via telnet. Normally, this implies that the serial interface forwards it to the Devialet.

And it does flicker when I was sending commands like [DEVIALET>POWER=!] but nothing happens on Devialet and also there is no error message coming back.

I would need to see if devialet receives a signal at all in order to be sure that the cable is not working.

Maybe am using the wrong command?

Any other ideas? Is there a way of "pinging"?
Have you checked in the Configurator that your RS232 Identifier is literally "DEVIALET" and not "Devialet"?
Although I imagine you've already been through all possible combinations.

Is the serial port on the source device set to all the right parameters?

It was 2 years ago, and I seem to be haunted by a faint memory that Devialet's diagram in the PDF document might have had the Rx & Tx pins labelled the wrong way around on the 3.5mm jack plug. But then again, I can't remember if it turned out to be me.
Just to get the obvious out of the way - you do have that Devialet RS232/Optical 3.5mm input set to "RS232", yes?
(12-Jan-2017, 14:12)JohnnySix Wrote: Just to get the obvious out of the way - you do have that Devialet RS232/Optical 3.5mm input set to "RS232", yes?

Hi,

of course, i did that Smile

I just went into the electronics store and bought myself a multimeter for 8€ in order to check if the right cables are going to the right dsub pins. turns out the person who soldered it for me messed up.

so I cut the cable in half and did it myself.

et voila: it works:
i establish a connection with the IP2Serial device (currently via telnet) and send the desired command to it and devialet understands it correctly. I also found the the Source command required the descriptive name i gave in the devialet configurator.

with the help of IFTTT I can now make IFTTT listen to a harmony remote activity and whenever i execute tv activity on the harmony, IFTTT will send the command to devialet for switching input. same goes for music activity.

thanks for the support and inspiration you gave me johnny!