Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What delights me about my Devialet
A bit late to the party, but having promised early in the thread to post, it's about time I did.

Others have already said most of what I wanted to.  For me, the things that do really delight me -- in the sense that they keep making me smile and are not part of what I would just expect from a piece of electronics -- are:

1) sound quality: it definitely does the "shivers down the spine" and "where did that noise come from" things I'm sure we're all familiar with

2) aesthetics: perfect for someone who prefers not to see a rack full of imposing front panels in their living room (I include myself in that as well as my wife!)

3) flexibility: it still amazes me how easy it is to configure the amplifier and the ever-growing list of what can be configured

The last point may be a bit controversial given that there are many known failings in the concept and implementation of the configuration mechanism, but I think I would find it almost impossible to live without something similar if I were to buy a new amplifier.  This also goes hand in hand with the updatable firmware: I've not tried v8.1 yet, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with the pre-out/main delay mechanism, for example.  That fact that this can be done without adding any extra boxes, and just comes "for free" is wonderful.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
For me the high points are,

1] Sound Quality. Having come from a tube based system I just love the clarity, accuracy and silent background of the Devialet. When we'll be able to get our own speakers SAM'd it'll be even better.

2] Compactness. An all in one solution that unobtrusively does everything that I need with an easy to operate interface.

3] Upgrades. New features coming online all the time via software like the extra power, on the fly phono adjustments, SAM lab. Would love to see some configuration of the DAC possible in future software releases, similar to the features offered by the dCS Purcell upsampler.

Negatives?
1] Not being able to see the display while using the remote from the listening position is a minor niggle that would be easily remedied by an App or a remote with a display.

2] I don't get to play with any nice new kit as I've no need to boxswap Amps, DACs or Phono Stages anymore. Wink
I'm Martin

Devialet D400 Expert, Focal Diablo Utopia III Colour, Bluesound Vault 2i, Meridian CDT, Technics 1210 M5G + Oyaide Platter and Stabiliser, Audionote Tonearm, Blue Angel Mantis MC
I jumped on the Devialet train 4 years ago. After housing huge rigs with 2pcs pre-amplifiers, monoamplifiers, multiple power conditioners and sources, the D-Premiere was a liberation.

One unit that replaced that big stack - people who visited my music room was looking for the amplifiers and couldn't stop smiling when they realised that the little shiny thing was the one bringing the happiness!

Best of all is that my, today D250, deliver so much more musical satisfaction than the €60'+ rig it replaced...

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(14-Sep-2015, 22:38)BjornWiman Wrote: I jumped on the Devialet train 4 years ago. After housing huge rigs with 2pcs pre-amplifiers, monoamplifiers, multiple power conditioners and sources, the D-Premiere was a liberation.

One unit that replaced that big stack - people who visited my music room was looking for the amplifiers and couldn't stop smiling when they realised that the little shiny thing was the one bringing the happiness!

Best of all is that my, today D250, deliver so much more musical satisfaction than the €60'+ rig it replaced...

Hi
I see from your sig. that you also have a pair of Phantoms. Care to talk a little about the differences of your two systems? Maybe you have described that somewhere else?
I own a 250 and love the sound quality I get from my system. I am less happy with how Devialet deals with the problems customers report though.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi ogs,

I must admit that my experience with the Devialet customer support have not been very problematic - maybe my expectations are adjusted to the level of what is "normal" in the hifi-business

The Phantom setup is really nice for the money - I would even stretch it to claim that you probably need to spend twice the money on a traditional hifi-system to acieve same level of sound quality - But they are not a D250 with a good pair of speakers!

I am feeding both systems with mainly the same source, music stored on my computer, in AIFF format in 16/44,1 - 24/192 and Tidal.

Dynamics of the Phantoms are great but you don't get the physical impact a front firing, big woofer, high quality speaker system offer, neither the size of the soundstage.

I love the Phantoms but I would miss my main system if I sold it...

Hopefully this is answer enough for you.

BR - Björn

- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(15-Sep-2015, 10:59)BjornWiman Wrote: Hi ogs,

I must admit that my experience with the Devialet customer support have not been very problematic - maybe my expectations are adjusted to the level of what is "normal" in the hifi-business

The Phantom setup is really nice for the money - I would even stretch it to claim that you probably need to spend twice the money on a traditional hifi-system to acieve same level of sound quality - But they are not a D250 with a good pair of speakers!

I am feeding both systems with mainly the same source, music stored on my computer, in AIFF format in 16/44,1 - 24/192 and Tidal.

Dynamics of the Phantoms are great but you don't get the physical impact a front firing, big woofer, high quality speaker system offer, neither the size of the soundstage.

I love the Phantoms but I would miss my main system if I sold it...

Hopefully this is answer enough for you.

BR - Björn

Thanks for the reply Björn, very interesting and helpful comments.

this is definitly OT re.: Confused's thread title. Apologies...

It is not so much Devialet support, which I find do a decent job, but Devialet themselves. For example AIR which is strongly marketed, but is not reliable and after more than a year is still not fixed.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Sound quality. The warmth of analogue with the detail of digital.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.