Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet UPnP App - What can we do to convince Devialet to enter the field?
(20-Nov-2019, 17:38)seb Wrote: As we are now approaching the DOS2 "age", I was wondering if Devialet has any plans to provide us with a UPnP player (better even OpenHome) solution for HiRes music streaming? I know many people crave for RAAT but not everyone buys into the Roon universe.

Actually, it feels a bit "strange" to use Linn Kazoo on my Mac and Kazoo and Lumin on my iOS devices to manage my Devialet Phantoms Music experience. In a way I am happy now, because it is responsive and offers more features. Still ...

I guess Devialet not even has to reinvent the wheel and possibly could license or use OpenSource code. It could even put Dialog to use again as a streaming server. Maybe they could also include Webradio apart from the streaming providers. Even if they would not decide to create a server app (there are plenty available and "backend" anyway"), a nice looking multi-platform front end app would be highly appreciated by me. What do you think?

Agree with the previous posters that this is the last thing I would personally want Devialet to do.  However neither do I think it is at all consistent with their strategy.  

Devialet developed their own protocol (AIR) to address the shortcomings of UPnP from an overall user experience perspective, but that was only implemented in the Expert range which targets a different demographic to the Phantom Premier and Reactor ranges.  

For Phantom my guess is that UPnP support is really a tick-in-the-box item that buys them interoperability with a broad range of streaming systems, however I don't expect Devialet to invest anything in UPnP beyond that.  It conveniently provides support for hi rez PCM, although that also seems to be pretty marginal from an overall market share perspective.  Bluetooth and AirPlay seem to be Devialet's main priorities (clearly they see a huge part of their market being mobile clients), and I am one of the many Roon users who are hoping that they add RAAT to the list soon (it is already supported, albeit with some niggles, under DOS 2 on the Expert line).
I see and I understand. It seems that many Devialet customers do not trust in the brand to develop a decent user interface /client software. I get it, there are a lot of reasons to not believe in Devialet creating a convincing client software. However, from my personal perspective I see my options quite limited. The best sounding and most affordable solution (so far) was/is Audirvana 3.5 for my Qobuz account and personal library. Now that Audirvana has announced a subscription model for Audirvana Studio I am back to square one. I have to jump through some loops to keep an "old" macOS system running with a hopefully still supported Audirvana 3.5 to listen to "my" music in decent quality (plus streaming). I am not intending to invest in a lifetime Roon subscription to listen to my own ripped music collection and Qobuz in HiRes. There may be people who pay for Roon or a x thousand dollars streaming device without hesitation. I am not. Phantom was created with the promise that it could play HiRes files with utmost fidelity. Well, in order to achieve that you now have to make additional investments. If you would like to stick with CD quality. Ok, there might be more options including Apple AirPlay 2 (for the lucky ones with more modern hardware). If you want to tap the potential of Phantom your options are very limited right now. Why would Devialet not team up with a software company or streaming service to offer an affordable (or even free) one stop solution (what Dialog once offered - still have one around somewhere)? It all got very complicated and it should not be that way. We should be able to enjoy music and not debate technical issues.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
Ok. So today one of the biggest streaming services, Apple Music, started Lossless, HiRes-Lossless and Spatial Audio (Dolby Atmos). Time to find some smart solutions to stream audio in HiRes. AirPlay 2 obviously won't do it. Devialet please ...

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)