Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet and MQA
I saw the follwing sentence on the Devialet website regarding streaming and MQA.

"We are not yet (my emphasis) compatible with the sound format MQA."

That "yet" suggests to me that the company is working on a solution.  On the other hand, it could just be a poor translation from French to English.

Any thoughts?
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I was asking Devialet the same thing about 1 year ago. This was Devialet statement at that time: "I would be very pleased to be able to let you know more about Devialet's roadmap regarding MQA. However, I regret that I do not have any information if and when it will be supported."
So, at that time MQA was not on Devialet's roadmap.
I hope they will not waste time and resources on the closed format (while the same effect can be obtained with HQPlayer for regular PCM release).
MQA is destined to extinction (like HDCD).
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(19-May-2019, 15:27)maxijazz Wrote: I hope they will not waste time and resources on the closed format (while the same effect can be obtained with HQPlayer for regular PCM release).
MQA is destined to extinction (like HDCD).

I second that wish. I would be disappointed to have them spending resources on this lossy format which principle argument (temporal blur / de blurring) is a scam for anyone who knows a bit about signal processing. 

But who knows, if there is a sufficient market demand, business sense and technical sense do not always agree. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I recall from the Munich 2018 thread that Devialet had advised that the second ‘unfold’ would compromise ADH, but they were looking at maybe implementing the first unfold. So if correct, full implementation is somewhere between not planned or impossible. (and where would you put the blue light?)

As things stand, software like Roon or the Tidal app will do the first unfold, so this aspect is covered anyway. The second unfold is nothing more than upsampling with a specific filer, the Devialet upsamples to 24/192 anyway, and as mentioned above you can use HQPlayer to upsample and apply an MQA style filer, if you really want to.

As Tidal is pretty much the only place you can get access to MQA, the first unfold is already covered.

The one exception to this would be someone who wants to play downloaded and locally stored MQA, but this is likely to be a very small proportion Devialet owners, and they would still have the option to use Roon if they really wanted to do this.

So taking all this into consideration, I can’t see why it would be high on Devialet’s priority list.

Maybe something to ask Matthieu Pernod about at the upcoming Devialet event at Oxford Audio?

Another factor is the uptake of MQA. There were some rumours about Amazon music adopting MQA, which would have propelled MQA into the big league. However, it now seams Amazon are planning conventional hi res instead, which leaves MQA a little lost with no obvious way to get market share. Unless it looks like MQA is going to gain some market share, manufacturer interest is likely to be low.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(19-May-2019, 19:01)Confused Wrote: ...
So taking all this into consideration, I can’t see why [MQA] would be high on Devialet’s priority list.

Maybe something to ask Matthieu Pernod about at the upcoming Devialet event at Oxford Audio?

Added to my list!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I would be happy if I would never read about MQA again, Amazon is not interested in a niche market which was invented to save a dying company
Thanks for the various responses. I'm not interested in debating the merits of MQA. Each to his or her own. Just curious as to whether Devialet would implement it.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(20-May-2019, 13:37)Flashman Wrote: Thanks for the various responses.  I'm not interested in debating the merits of MQA.  Each to his or her own.  Just curious as to whether Devialet would implement it.
I’ve just taken a screenshot of a song playing from Tidal which is in the MQA format. At least to me it appears that it is being decoded by Devialet. But I could be wrong. Any suggestions or thoughts?
(20-May-2019, 13:37)Flashman Wrote: Thanks for the various responses.  I'm not interested in debating the merits of MQA.  Each to his or her own.  Just curious as to whether Devialet would implement it.
Not sure what were you expecting when you raise a controversial issue such as MQA???