Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet and MQA
The first unfold does actually retrieve additional data that is "hidden" in the lower 8 bits of a 24 bit MQA file.

The second "unfold" is upsampling and imposition of one of MQA's minimum phase filters. (so not really an "unfold" at all, consider that most DACs, including Devialet, upsample inputs anyway)

The third unfold is something written in MQA marketing documents, but other than that there is no evidence it exists. Maybe it just refers to the MQA filter, which does not make sense. All very confusing.

Regarding the Bluesound Node, I believe it can digitally output decoded MQA after having performed the "First Unfold". Any upsampling or imposition of the MQA filter (second and mysterious third unfold) is performed by the Bluesound's internal DAC.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(28-Apr-2021, 10:16)Confused Wrote: The first unfold does actually retrieve additional data that is "hidden" in the lower 8 bits of a 24 bit MQA file.

This is how I've understood MQA too and how Bob Stuart described it in the beginning.
When I downloaded (from Tidal) my first (and last) MQA album, "Fairytales" by Radka Toneff, it turned out to be a 16bit 44.1kHz "MQA CD", not the 24/48 version John Atkinson wrote about in Stereophile. Was it as good as the 24/48 version? I doubt it, but I never found out. I ended up buying the SACD and ripped the DSD layer in stead.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-Apr-2021, 19:47)markush Wrote:
(25-Apr-2021, 14:25)BoyScout Wrote: Are you sure about it?
I´m thinking about that same move.

Definitely! The difference is really huge. Not just on high-res material but also on standard CD Formats.

Humm... not available in my country, yet. Sad
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(17-Apr-2021, 09:25)Confused Wrote: The video is 38 minutes long, but it really is worth 38 minutes of your time if you are remotely interested in this kind of thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc&t=2s
- Thanks for video and the link you sent in other post. I will stop following up on MQA completely.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"