Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet and MQA
Yah I’ve been following this for a few days now.  Displeased at how MQA manipulates the original recording guess it’s a good thing Devialet hasn’t supported the format...
here’s a few good comments from the YouTube video,

TotalSonic
As a mastering engineer, the essential thing to me is that FLAC can represent the data absolutely exactly as I have set it for the master, in a format that is about 65% the file size compared to the uncompressed PCM, and is taggable, streamable, multi-channel ready and capable of being fully hi-res - AND open source and license free. And I have been able to prove to myself numerous times via conversion round trips and null tests that it is truly lossless in its encoding/decoding. With MQA - it's opaque in its process, it is not lossless, and it's encumbered by a license that should in no way be considered acceptable for a "standard".

F Vanden Poel
Your research confirms the 6moons mqa industry feature from May 2017: MQA does not want anyone to be able to do a QC. The fact that your encodes were removed from Tidal, the fact that the encoder checks for test signals and does not allow those signals to be encoded, ... The HighResAudio Press Release also mentioned that no analysis tools are available to verify the encoded MQA content. Therefore no quality control is possible, and now already three sources have confirmed this in public.

This is one of the best video's on the subject and thanks for mentioning our truncation experiments.

I’m going to switch from Tidal to Qobuz while I wait to see how Spotify hifi is  Dodgy
I am so glad to switched from Tidal Hifi to Qobuz! Definitely better sound quality. And there is even another improvement possible when switching from AIR to ROON RAAT transmission.
(25-Apr-2021, 13:23)markush Wrote: I am so glad to switched from Tidal Hifi to Qobuz! Definitely better sound quality. And there is even another improvement possible when switching from AIR to ROON RAAT transmission.

Are you sure about it?
I´m thinking about that same move.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Just want to say another 'thanks' to @Confused for posting the link to the GoldenSound video. It was very interesting to watch, and revealing of the way MQA works. Not that I understood it in any detail, but the behaviour of the MQA labs, or company, is just as revealing as the testing.

RE Devialet, it makes me glad that they resisted the demands to have it, and complaints about them not supporting it. Whew!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I am also glad Devialet decided to stay away from MQA. If MQA had worked the way Bob Stuart explained in the beginning, maybe. The GoldenSound video reveals that MQA does not work according to marketing and is lossy! No thanks!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-Apr-2021, 14:25)BoyScout Wrote:
(25-Apr-2021, 13:23)markush Wrote: I am so glad to switched from Tidal Hifi to Qobuz! Definitely better sound quality. And there is even another improvement possible when switching from AIR to ROON RAAT transmission.

Are you sure about it?
I´m thinking about that same move.

Definitely! The difference is really huge. Not just on high-res material but also on standard CD Formats.
Qobuz definitely sounds better to me, vs Tidal.
Not just against MQA!
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
I also made the move from Tidal to Qobuz. The improvement in SQ is subtle, but I can hear it. A couple of years ago I decided against Qobuz because quite a few titles were missing from their catalogue. The gap has become much smaller now and is improving rapidly. I’m very happy that I made the move as Qobuz is cheaper than Tidal if you choose to pay yearly rather than monthly. Win win!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
From what I read on the internet, Devialet will not be able to implement MQA rendering (even if it wanted to), for at least one reason: Devialet has digital outputs, and MQA does not accept this.
No DAC that has digital outputs is accepted by the MQA...
As I understood it, an Expert amp would be allowed to decode MQA provided it didn't present the result on the digital outputs but only on analog outputs (presumably including the main speaker outputs). But I haven't looked into it in detail, as it seems to be a moot point.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK