Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet and MQA
To work in chained modes (dual-mono, master + slaves), digital output is mandatory. So... no MQA.
That's a fair point, but a single Expert would still be allowed to decode MQA. right?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(26-Apr-2021, 19:01)thumb5 Wrote: That's a fair point, but a single Expert would still be allowed to decode MQA. right?

In theory, yes.
However, this would require the configurator to "lock" the digital outputs, which is beyond MQA control.
In addition, even if the configurator does this "lock", the user can use an older configuration file with digital outputs enabled. Or it can use the master configuration file of a dual-mono configuration on a single unit.
So basically I think MQA is not possible.
There is the Bluesound Node 2i. Does full MQA and has Toslink digital out I think...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(27-Apr-2021, 08:17)ogs Wrote: There is the Bluesound Node 2i. Does full MQA and has Toslink digital out I think...

It does.  In order to get the Node 2i to do an unfold you need to set the volume to fixed and then it will send the unfolded output over the toslink output.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(27-Apr-2021, 17:41)njaiswal Wrote:
(27-Apr-2021, 08:17)ogs Wrote: There is the Bluesound Node 2i. Does full MQA and has Toslink digital out I think...

It does.  In order to get the Node 2i to do an unfold you need to set the volume to fixed and then it will send the unfolded output over the toslink output.

This is working for all 3 unfolds (full MQA), or for first one only?
First and second I think. What is the third unfold supposed to do? I'm a little behind on this. Last time I read Bob Stuart's explanation there where only two unfolds...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(27-Apr-2021, 19:42)ogs Wrote: First and second I think. What is the third unfold supposed to do? I'm a little behind on this. Last time I read Bob Stuart's explanation there where only two unfolds...

Here is about unfolds: https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-it-works

Usually, unfold 1 is done in the first step, and unfold 2 and 3 are done in the second step.
It says "full decoder" so that might indicate all 3. I'm not into MQA so I can't be certain. Interesting that 3 unfolds are needed to get the "full experience". Hmm..
Devialetless!
"Full decoder" means all 3 unfolds.
I don't understand what it sends to the digital output, because full decoded MQA means analog signal (not digital). Does it do an AD conversion?... Or send the signal from the digital input (without the MQA processing)?...